AMC's The Walking Dead Season 1 Discussion & Spoilers

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Dream, Oct 30, 2010.

1. RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion Premium Member

I can't wait to see them explain how a virus can animate dead tissue with coordination and intent. :D

Exactly. Their name devolved to meet their low standards. You should be against low standards, not perpetuating them.

2. SicOne

SicOne Commodore Commodore

We don't know how long Shane and Lori might have been screwing. It could very well predate the zombiepocalypse.

I'd have to dig the comics out of storage, but IIRC in the comics they didn't start screwing until after the dead began walking, when neither of them thought he was still alive.

3. SicOne

You'll have to pardon me if these questions have already been asked, as I don't have time this morning to drift through 20-odd pages of discussion, but...

(1) Are the characters of Merle and his brother in the comics?

(2) How about the Vatos?

(3) In the comics, did they ever go by the CDC to check things out? Or did they just leave Atlanta as soon as they could scrounge some supplies?

(4) Have we seen what became of Merle? Last I remember seeing, he had cauterized his wound and driven off with their truck.

4. MilleniumLance

MilleniumLance Captain Captain

ok im up to issue 56 now to answer your questions
    1.No made up for the show
    2.No made up for the show
    3.No CDC in the comics, after the attack and some other "events" the pack up camp and leave and find a gated community of homes and stay there for a night but not til morning they find out out the community isnt safe. Them leaving Jim against the tree is straight out of the comic though.
    4. As said before Merle is character made for the tv series.

Last edited: Nov 29, 2010
  5. Tom

Tom Vice Admiral Admiral

It's great the plot is not completly spoiled by those who read the comics.

6. MilleniumLance

MilleniumLance Captain Captain

the tv series kinda feels like filling in some of the blanks, cause in the comics days and weeks can go by between issues, oh and the scene with Amy was straight out of the comic too..but moved much more slowly

7. PsychoPere

PsychoPere Vice Admiral Premium Member

While the show isn't charting the exact same course as the comics, I would highly suggest using spoiler code when answering questions about the comics because we don't yet know what events will be adapted.

8. Nicholna

Nicholna Cadet Newbie

Is this all a ploy to get us all buying comics again.:techman: I called my local comic store (just discovered existed in my neighborhood) and he quoted me a price of 2.99 per issue. Called again today and the price went up to 3.99 per issue because of the demand. I mean seriously? He quoted me 10.99 for a book or something. I haven't read a comic book in about 15 years.....but I am going to now. I just want to compare what we see vs. what is in the book.

BUT in defense of all the critics, during the initial interview Robert DID SAY that they will always stay true to the comics.....they will stray away and take different paths, but everything in the comics will happen.
    Michonne, the Governor, Hershel's farm, how the plage was started by man as a weapon, we'll see morgan again in Washington, DC. . . . and everything else I hear you all discussing.will be upcoming.....
    even tho they make take a round about way of getting there.

9. PsychoPere

^ If you're interested in getting collections, rather than single issues, I outlined the available options in this post, and recommended a website where they could be purchased for at least 38% off MSRP.

10. Mike Farley

Mike Farley Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Also, starting in January, Image will begin re-releasing the series in single issues as THE WALKING DEAD WEEKLY.

11. SG-17

SG-17 Commodore Commodore

Seriously though, what if the virus is alien in origin? Not malicious intelligent alien kind of stuff, but brought in on a meteorite or with a returning shuttle or something.
    I guess it wouldn't really make a difference, just might be harder to cure.

12. Zachary Smith

Zachary Smith Vice Admiral Admiral

There is no "virus". At least there shouldn't be. Viruses, no matter HOW powerful, can NOT effect dead tissue.

I've got a better explanation than a "virus" (which is a cop-out IMHO).

13. SG-17

SG-17 Commodore Commodore

Well I was using virus as a general term. I guess a parasite would be more plausible an option, no?

14. RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion Premium Member

^^ That's certainly better. It would have to have some sort of group intelligence, though; and there would still need to be an explanation of why "ya gotta shoot 'em in the head."

This was another great episode, with some very touching moments. The woman waiting for her sister to rise from the dead just so she'd have a moment to apologize before she killed her. The poor guy who was bitten desperately saying "I'm okay" over and over. Glenn demanding that the dead be buried.

I don't understand why they would just leave the bitten guy to die, though. Why would he (or they) want him to be a Zombie? I somehow suspect he will turn up again later as a Walker.

And Shane was seriously considering taking out Rick for a few seconds there. And the old guy wasn't fooled a bit.

The CDC definitely had a bit of a Lost vibe. This should be interesting. It's a shame there's only one more episode left.

15. danellis

danellis Captain Captain

Do they even discuss it in the episode? I thought it was us assuming it was Merle, or did I miss something?

dJE

16. PsychoPere

If they continued to take Jim with them, he could have presented a threat to those in Dale's RV. Since Jim had accepted his death, why not abide by his wishes and leave him? In the comics, he was in fact left just outside Atlanta, so that zombie-Jim could "return to his family," as he stated he wanted in "Wildfire."

Given the destruction of the tissue samples Jenner was working on, I'm expecting that Jim will return in next week's finale, "TS-19," approached by Rick to become Jenner's new test subject.

I'm particularly looking forward to seeing how this CDC angle plays out since it's entirely a creation of the tv series; I don't already know the end result of this part of the story!

I'm rather surprised Dale didn't say anything to Rick later about that.

Yes. When they notice the truck is missing, Glenn remarks "Who would take it?" and Rick responds "Merle." When they were first entering the city and planning their course of action, it seemed like Merle's building wasn't terribly far from where they entered, so they probably figured that Merle took that route heading away from the city. It does seem to be Glenn's "favorite" route in and out of Atlanta, after all.

17. watermelony2k

watermelony2k Vice Admiral Admiral

ratings for episode 5: it got 5.6 million viewers total, and adults 18-49 it scored 3.7 million viewers.

This is higher than the ratings for the premiere. It's impressive.

http://www.deadline.com/2010/11/walking-dead-hits-another-high/

At this point, it's generating higher ratings than the majority of NBC's programming...

Last edited: Nov 30, 2010
  18. Landed

Landed Lieutenant

I know that this show really gets to me because every Sunday night, after watching it, I have nightmares about the zombie apocalypse.

Anybody else?

19. SPOCKED

SPOCKED Admiral Premium Member

I only watch it in the daytime. No way I could sleep an hour after "Guts" :lol:

20. SicOne

I would be remiss if I didn't take this opportunity, mods allowing, to shamelessly plug Comic Book Supermarket, where you can pick up Walking Dead and all of your favorite comics at 35% off every day, and they bag and board them for free...I don't know how much shipping costs, though.