AMC's Rubicon

Discussion in 'TV & Media' started by Obiwanshinobi, Aug 4, 2010.

1. Agent Richard07

Agent Richard07 Admiral Admiral

I was really excited about this show, but it failed to grab me and I've dropped it. It's talky, unfocussed and whatever's going on isn't engaging enough.

2. Obiwanshinobi

Obiwanshinobi Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

As of right now, I'm just gonna let all the new episodes collect on the DVR and watch in succession when the seasons over. Although, I should probably just quit now from the sound of it.

3. 1001001

1001001 Serial Canon Violator Moderator

I have watched the first 5 episodes (I stored them for a while first). I didn't realize the ratings were so bad.

Again, a good premise sunk by poor execution (IMHO). This thing moves at a glacial pace. The lead actor could not be less charismatic if he was under anesthesia. I don't know if they're doing that on purpose or what.

I have no problem with deliberate pacing, but this is truly too slow.

4. Locutus of Bored

Locutus of Bored Yo, Dawg! I Heard You Like Avatars... In Memoriam

The only point of no return I crossed watching this show is when I fell asleep. I was really excited for this show but it was unbelievably boring for a conspiracy "thriller." Maybe that lends an air of realism to it, but I'll put up with a little unreality to at least make the show compelling and watchable.

5. sidious618

sidious618 Admiral Admiral

Wow. I love this show. I find it tense, interesting, atmospheric and very well acted. I'm surprised at all the hate it's getting.

6. Ganja Tea

Ganja Tea Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Yeah me too. Shame everybody seems to hate it and just when it seems it's picking up a bit.

7. Obiwanshinobi

Obiwanshinobi Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

ive only seen the first 3 episodes, but what other shows would you compare to the pacing of this show in their first season?

8. Agent Richard07

^ Maybe Invasion. I don't know.

9. sidious618

The Wire comes to mind right away. Mad Men, too.

10. startrekwatcher

startrekwatcher Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The one that immediately came to mind to me was CAPRICA. The pacing on that show had the same "standing still" feel as Rubicon--very stingy on the reveals but with nothing to distract you from that fact, boring characters, boring plots, character scenes that aren't the least bit compelling but the writers think they are just by the very fact that it involves very little action and two or so people just talking.

There is no urgency, no tension and a lot of it comes across as trite.

11. stj

stj Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Spangler is not bland. Kayle Ingram is not bland. Ben is not bland.

The team arguing about the assassination was dramatic in the meaningful sense of the word, namely, as being about the choices people make.

There are even a fairly consistent pattern of reveals, although very few are followed up immediately. The series is close to unfolding in real time. At least single episodes rarely cover more than a few days, as near as I can tell less than a week.

The show is one of the most realistic (which does not mean genuinely a copy of real life, which would be even less action-packed,) spy shows ever put on television. Despite the inevitable sensationalism and simplification made for dramatic purposes, the background is vastly richer than any other spy series.

But one thing is for sure, this is not a thriller. Anyone expecting a thriller is going to be bitterly disappointed.

12. JoeZhang

JoeZhang Vice Admiral Admiral

Looking at the terrible ratings, anyone expecting a decent resolution is going to be bitterly disappointed.

13. Temis the Vorta

Temis the Vorta Fleet Admiral Admiral

:rommie:

14. stj

^^^24 fans bitter they couldn't get a decent resolution after years.:lol:

James Dale Badge (or is it James Badge Dale?) showed why he's the lead: His portrayal of Will's paranoia was just perfect.

Does anybody remember any references to Atlas McDowell before?

15. 1001001

1001001 Serial Canon Violator Moderator

I don't remember any references before, but they could have been "hidden" and I didn't catch them.

I'm still watching, and it seems to have picked up just a little bit. It is definitely "atmospheric".

Also, have you noticed how decidedly low-tech this place is? They finally showed some tech with the surveillance storyline, but this office looks like it's from the 1960's.

16. IndyJones

IndyJones Vice Admiral Admiral

24 fans should at least like the lead. The only other thing I remember seeing James Badge Dale in was when he played Chase on Day 3 of 24.

And I'll second the posters who've stuck with the show and are glad they did.

17. sidious618

My guess, and it's only that, is that the show'll get renewed. AMC only has three shows so I don't see them axing one of them. It's been fairly well recieved by critics which is what AMC goes off of quite a bit.

18. stj

It is almost inevitable that AMC will complete the season run, for much the same reason Syfy completed the season runs of Flash Gordon or Painkiller Jane. Which is, they don't have enough original material to leave it unaired. (Caprica fans may have to wait but they will see the rest of the series.)

19. Locutus of Bored

Locutus of Bored Yo, Dawg! I Heard You Like Avatars... In Memoriam

Don't know if you have HBO, but he had a prominent role in 'The Pacific.'

20. Agent Richard07

He was Chase? :eek: Didn't know that. Hair really does make a difference. That and he got a bit older and isn't playing a hunky agent.