Amazon sale on Star Trek Books

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by BrentMc, Aug 12, 2013.

1. Mimi

Mimi Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Well, this is problematic. I had the book on preorder, and it still charged 7 dollars, rather than the 4 dollar price it launched with. I wonder if amazon will give me back the difference, or if that's just the luck with preordering.

[Granted, I know there's no point in pre-ordering...I just like to show my support.]

2. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

Thanks for the heads up. :techman:

I was going to skip the rest of 'The Fall' based on how underwhelming the first book has been so far and having other things to read. But I figure $4.55 is too good to pass up especially since I enjoyed McCormack's last Trek novel.

3. Galekarens

Galekarens Commander Red Shirt

Amazon does seem to play "fast and loose" w/ its Ebook prices. I found that out after ordering DRG's Fall (#1) book; a day or so after the book officially (ie publication date) came out the Kindle price dropped :(. This time I decided just to get the paperback "on sale" but now lucked out getting the Ebook cheaper (and before the "tree" book arrived). Kind of hard to know exactly what to do when you really want to buy a Trek book, yikes.

4. JWolf

JWolf Commodore Commodore

Amazon also plays fast and loose with pBook prices too. Amazon would lower the pBook price to be lower then the Agency eBook price to piss off consumers at the high eBook price.

What I would do is call Amazon and tell them you bought the eBook when the price was higher and now it's lowered. You have nothing to lose by doing so.

5. Stoek

Stoek Commander Red Shirt

Easier way is to go into the Manage My Kindle page. Most books on Kindle are returnable for a few days up to about a week. Choose return for refund and then go to the books page and rebuy it at the lower price.

6. Sakrysta

Sakrysta Vice Admiral Admiral

Another neat thing with Amazon (not sure if this is only a Prime thing), but if you pre-order, when the book finally ships, Amazon charges you the lowest price it has been since you ordered it. So, I got The Crimson Shadow for $4.79, because that was the lowest price it had been since I placed the pre-order.

Needless to say, I've begun pre-ordering all the Trek books. ;)

7. Daddy Todd

Daddy Todd Commodore Commodore

They've apparently started introducing deep discounts to Kindle prices on the day AFTER they "drop," so if you preorder, you miss out on the sale price.

When I recognized they were doing this, I cancelled all my Kindle preorders. I can wait till the second day to download them in order to save $3 or more.

8. Sto-Vo-Kory

Sto-Vo-Kory Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

The ebook from JJM is $1.99 right now for pre-order at Amazon. No idea when the price ends.

9. Mimi

Mimi Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

You would think this completely defeats the purpose of preordering.

I ended up not returning the ebook, since Crimson Shadow was honestly so good that I don't mind paying the full price for it. But I don't typically like to do that if I can get a sale.

For the next books I'll be waiting until the launch date.

10. Thrawn

Thrawn Rear Admiral Premium Member

It's not actually them intentionally screwing with you; pricing is, in part, based on demand - the more people buying, the lower the price goes. So when the book comes out, a lot of people buy it, and then the price falls so they're more competitive on the high-demand stories.

Either way though, the advice is good. Wait 'til a day or two after release and you'll probably get the best deal.

11. Defcon

Defcon Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Of course, if everyone is following that advice, the demand isn't there and the prices do not fall.

12. TerraUnam

TerraUnam Commander Red Shirt

amazon.ca isn't having a sale, but did promote my preorders to Release Date Delivery for no additional charge. I've got the rest of The Fall and Voyager: Protectors on order.

Interestingly with Express delivery which is Expresspost from Toronto I get it overnight after it ships anyway.

13. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

Federation: The First 150 Years is down to $17.97 on Amazon US and £13.35 on Amazon UK.

14. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Commodore Commodore

I saw that on Facebook and ordered it right away! I have been interested in this since it was announced but was never going to pay the original price.

15. Masiral

Masiral Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Although it's just the book, not the fancy box.

16. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Damn. I was hoping that now that it was just the book there would be a Nook version, but still no luck.

17. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Commodore Commodore

I am not going to miss the box at all.

18. JWolf

JWolf Commodore Commodore

Star Trek: Titan: Absent Enemies is the same price over at Barnes & Noble. So I would think it's the same price all over and not a special from Amazon.