Discussion in 'Star Trek: The Next Generation' started by WesleysDisciple, Feb 14, 2013.
Kill Wesley, keep Snirkles.
As a doctor, you'd have thought his mother would have educated him better in such matters. Maybe she was just too busy with... whatever it is that Beverly prefered doing instead of bringing up her son. Tap dancing, maybe.
Once they got him out of the "saves the ship every episode" syndrome, I liked him just fine.
My opinion is that 60% of the use of Wesley was fine by me, the other 40% was somewhat annoying. I particularly enjoyed his story in WNOHGB, and also his final appearance as a regular. His episodes post-regular were almost all excellent.
I didn't start watching TNG until midway through season five, by which time Wesley was only an occasional guest star. The First Duty was the first episode I saw him in, so in a way I got the strongest possible introduction to the character. Even when I saw the earliest TNG episodes, as bad as the Wesley stuff was I still couldn't quite bring myself to hate the guy because I knew he'd get some good stuff in the end.
Even after all these years though, I still can't get used to him being sat in Ro's chair...
I never minded Wesley. I still think the ep "Coming of Age" was one of the high points of the first season and a good episode for TNG as a whole.
Wesley definitely doesn't seem as annoying after experiencing Neelix and the entire Enterprise cast.
A. No need to lie to Jack. Maybe they came clean, Jack forgave them, and Bev decided it was best to tell Wes that Jack was his father so as to avoid confusing the kid. Based on what we know after S1 this is possible. Obviously it becomes impossible later on when Wes gets the holo-gram from his dad, but I'm looking at it strictly with S1 info. Also, for all we know, Jack and Bev were on a break in the relationship or had an open relationship.
B. Kassidy and Ben show that people still get accidentally pregnant in the 24th Century. Maybe they took precautions and they failed.
C. Picard could have separated his personal life from command and made this decision strictly on professional grounds.
Again, this is obviously not what the series writers intended when we consider post s1 information, but using a "s1 only perspective" there's no need to assume Picard is a terrible person to make it work.
Maybe Jack and Jean-Luc were sharing. They were, after all, best friends in an enlightened future. Rodenberry would have loved it.
That certainly brings a new meaning to Picard's "I knew your father, Wesley" line.
IMHO, Will Wheaton was mostly a victim of bad scriptwriting and bad dressing (if there is a TNG-R version coming some day the first thing they should do is to occasionally CGI replace these terrible sweaters).
And without Wesley we would have probably not gotten one of my all time favorite TNG episodes (see quote below).
I never hated Wesley and I don't understand all the hatred surrounding him. Anyone who has had kids know that they can be annoying at times.
And that is all that Wesley was doing...just being a kid.
I wouldn't say I hated Wesley, just that I found him kind of annoying, like others have said.
I'd need to do a real sit down TNG marathon to see his growth as a character since its been so long since I've watched more than the episodes on BBC America.
As for Will Wheaton, its hard for me to disassociated his other characters from Wesley. In Criminal Minds he played a rapist and a killer and even with a beard I was like "Wesley's turned out so wrong!"
Wil still has that babyface, despite the beard. Compare that to someone like Christian Bale, who looked like a grumpy adult even in Empire of the Sun.
I didn't like his roles in "The Naked Now" and "The Battle", but after Picard yelled "Shut up, Wesley!", I thought he improved steadily as a character.
Wil Wheaton agrees. He hated anytime Wesley showed up the adults. He thought it was a great way to make the audience hate his character.
I couldn't stand the Wesley that constantly saved the Enteprise that was in season one. But I really didn't mind him starting in season two when they finally tried to develop the character beyond super genius.
I feel that there might be some character envy going on from some of the more vocal fans. I mean Wes got to hang out with Picard and company, not to mention becoming the helmsman of the flagship during the first season! Talk about having everything handed to you!
I liked him, but I didn't season 1 like him. My friends insist The First Duty was his standout episode and perhaps it was but I prefer The Game. It's more fun.
He is a good officer but he is rather irritating every now and again.
Let me tell you 'bout my boy, his name's Wesley
Gonna be in Starfleet academy
But tonight he's getting crunk with yours truly
As for how he got his updo, click over here if you dare...
Separate names with a comma.