Am I the only one who dislikes the Enterprise-E?

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies I-X' started by GregroxMun, Jul 1, 2015.

1. Lance

Lance Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Although having a kind of 'design lineage' going on isn't necessarily a bad thing, I do take your point that in some ways the 1701-E feels.... over-designed? Like, John Eaves tried to cram in little bits of his favourite parts of all previous starships, but the end result just wound up being something of a Frakenstein's monster. For my money, the Enterprise-E never quite had the 'character' of her predecessors, it was just kind of there. It was almost a placeholder Starship. :D ;)

Galactic Alignment likes this.
  2. publiusr

publiusr Admiral Admiral

I just say the same design house that did the refit did the dash-E

3. Seven of Five

Seven of Five Stupid Sexy Flanders! Premium Member

I'm not a fan of the ENT-E. A bit too stretched out for my liking. The D is much nicer.

4. Elder Knight

Elder Knight Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Was that a Mary Shelly Frankenstein or a Jonathan Frakestein?

5. mattman8907

mattman8907 Commodore Commodore

I didn't like the C or D, But the E was nice.

6. Dylan Hoffman

Dylan Hoffman Ensign Red Shirt

The Probert C ( the one from Yesterday's Enterprise" ) looked pretty cool. The weird concept one was quite ugly, to say the least.

The Enterprise D seemed a bit out of proportion and scale, not to mention the clumsy studio model. The interior was nice though. The brightness of the corridors made it feel like a "family friendly" type of ship, whereas the Enterprise E's corridors looked more darkened. Either way, I still liked it for the ship that it was.

The main reason for the design of the Enterprise E was to make a more filming friendly model so they could save time and resources. It had many more mounting points so they could vary the types of shots they took without spending hours at a time.

Overall though, I prefer the Enterprise E, due to the sleek design and Aztecing of the hull.

7. Maurice

Maurice Snagglepussed Admiral

That's not the main reason for it. That was just one of the reasons claimed for the change.

8. Relayer1

Relayer1 Admiral Admiral

I still say the D was a squat, ungainly, unbalanced ugly pig of a design...

9. Cγrano Mudd

Cγrano Mudd Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

I like the original Enterprise, and I loved the refit. i didn't care for any of the post-TOS ships. The whole aesthetic seemed too contrived.

I don't care for the McQuarrie-esque design of the ship in the new Trek, either.

10. ronbrothers

ronbrothers Ensign Newbie

I've never been a fan of this design either.

11. Cγrano Mudd

Cγrano Mudd Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

I meant McQuarrie/Ken Adam-esque design.

12. alensatemybuick1

alensatemybuick1 Captain Captain

I didn't like the D miniature or TNG sets for a long time. However I've come to appreciate both. They do have a "kinder, gentler" aesthetic in keeping with Roddenbery's vision for TNG. I recall reading many years back that he had requested the nacelles be shortened on the D from Probert's original design, presumably to make it less "threatening.

The E clearly went in the opposite direction.