Spoilers Ah, the NEW uniforms...!

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Discovery' started by Blue Squadron, Nov 5, 2020.

1. KamenRiderBlade

KamenRiderBlade Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The average StarFleet Officer should have different Uniforms for different purposes IMO, but almost all should be of similar stylings to each other unless there is a deeply thought out purpose to the different designs.
    · Normal Uniform <- Basic day to day wear within StarFleet facilities / vessels / Official StarFleet work/business.
    · Formal Uniform <- Formal / Ceremonial occaisions.
    · Desert Uniform <- Designed for Hot & Arid environments
    · Jungle Uniform <- Designed for Hot & Humid environments
    · Winter Uniform <- Designed for Cold & Wet environments
    · Zero-G Uniform <- Innerware designed to work with standard Zero-G Outter ware
    · Worker Uniform <- One-Piece OverAll designed to get down & dirty OR whatever specialized Uniform deemed fit
    for the Service/Division/Section as needed by the job/profession
    · Combat Uniform <- Uses appropriate Camoflage for the environment, ergo many types, Service/Division/Section
    markings are minimized or outright hidden for camouflage purposes

Ogrebear and Markonian like this.
  2. Tuskin38

Tuskin38 Fleet Admiral Admiral

urbandk likes this.
  3. fireproof78

fireproof78 Fleet Admiral Admiral

Those security uniforms, along with the Admiral's are probably my favorite of the designs.

Markonian and KirkusOveractus like this.
  4. Tuskin38

Cronenberg has a single pip on his badge. Costuming error or intentional?

5. fireproof78

fireproof78 Fleet Admiral Admiral

Everything about Croneberg appears to be deliberate to cause questioning.

6. Blue Squadron

Blue Squadron Captain Captain

Mostly just wherever I happen to be at the time.
    The problem with the badges is that they’re just not very clear; too reflective in the bright lighting.

It could be a single gold pip, implying one-star flag officer rank — this would broadly fit if they were thinking of the equivalent to Commodore Oh In Picard.

I agree that they’re going for the slightly enigmatic / mysterious angle with Cronenberg’s character. He actually plays it very well and the clear implication is that he’s likely Starfleet Intelligence or possibly even the direct successor of Section 31 himself (Director of Starfleet Intelligence?) — and he clearly knows far more about Georgiou, the mirror universe and the late Terran Empire, which she’s equally clearly not happy about...!

I like the understated and only slightly menacing style. It’s way more George Smiley than Leland and I rather hope we see a lot more of him!

Last edited: Nov 17, 2020
  7. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

Star Trek calls them "ship's counsellors":p

jackoverfull likes this.
  8. Blue Squadron

I've been looking for a decent image of Vance's transporter badge to check something I was suspicious of and, lo, I find not just him but also David Cronenberg's character, Kovich, on Trek Movie!

If you look at the bottom part of the badge, the polished section of the ellipse low the delta, I think these images make it pretty clear that part is gold for the flag officer badges, along with the clearly visible gold pips (whereas the other officers of captain and below appear to have the lower section and the pips in polished silver/chrome).

I would say that this should pin Kovich at the rank of Commodore and my bet is Director of Starfleet Intelligence (+/- Section 31...!)

[​IMG]

jos3s likes this.
  9. Blue Squadron

I've tweaked these sketches of the new badges a few times before, but I think this is pretty much it now and fits with what se can see in the post above:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 17, 2020
    Markonian likes this.
  10. Tuskin38

The Admiral's badge isn't as obviously coloured in like Kovich's is. Most shots it's silver.

11. KamenRiderBlade

KamenRiderBlade Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Deanna sure dressed the part in the early TNG seasons before she wore a regular uniform.

jackoverfull likes this.
  12. Tuskin38

13. Blue Squadron

I think the nature of the polished finish is such that it simply reflects light like any other shiny surface, so they all kinda end up looking much the same. I've had a suspicion all the way through that the lower area and the pips were gold for the admiral but have been struggling trying to find a decent image to confirm it.

It certainly makes sense; given that the basic design of the badges is the same, they needed some way to differentiate a four-pip full Admiral from a Captain and a three-pip Vice Admiral from a Commander, and so on. The additional gold at the bottom does help to make it a bit more obvious than just using gold for the pips.

The simple elliptical shape and the polished nature of many of there surfaces make it pretty difficult to spot anything from a distance, other that than fact that it's a metallic ellipse!

The new design is definitely growing on me, especially now it's possible to work out the full range of badges, but I still don't like that lack of clarity the moment you're more tan a couple of feet away from the wearer.

Tuskin38 likes this.
  14. Blue Squadron

Markonian likes this.
  15. Tuskin38

This angle here on the Admiral badge does make it appear the same colour as the rest
    [​IMG]

16. Ar-Pharazon

Ar-Pharazon Admiral Premium Member

[​IMG]

17. CorporalClegg

CorporalClegg Fleet Admiral Admiral

18. NCC-73515

NCC-73515 Vice Admiral Admiral

Willa's hexagonal pattern is quite similar to STID's 31 uniform pattern

1987SpaceGuy and F. King Daniel like this.
  19. Blue Squadron

I’d be fairly convinced that if we look carefully, we can see that the pips and the lower section are gold on that badge — but that’s one of the problems with this design: as much as I like the aesthetics as a concept (and I do), as a badge with a practical purpose outside of its technical functions (that is, to convey specific information about the role of the wearer) then it just doesn’t really work that well.

From a TV show point of view (and, let’s face it, that’s *really* what it’s for) everything gets lost in the reflected light from the metallic surfaces.

The original TNG badge worked because, actually, it wasn’t polished silver and gold. The screen-used costume badges were painted with metallic paints and so were much less reflective.

The chrome on the Picard 2399 badge worked well because it was just the outline of the delta against a flat grey background and that shiny part helped it to stand out. Here, however, everything is shiny so all the details are lost.

20. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

Maybe he's Federation Intelligence, since his clothes seem civilian.