Agony Booth takes it´s shoot on "A Night In Sickbay"

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Enterprise' started by Rhodan, Apr 30, 2008.

1. Rhodan

Rhodan Commander Red Shirt

2. Seraphim

Seraphim Admiral Admiral

I read only a few sorted lines. I liked the caption under the Ent crew pic. I felt the same way. thanks for the link.

3. crouteru

crouteru Captain Captain

The first two seasons of ENT were very medicore, as though they were seasons 8 and 9 of VGR, but the third and fourth seasons were good, maybe even better than any season of VGR.

The main problems I could see with ENT were:
    - Berman and Braga had run out of ideas (something they admitted to)
    - No strong characters
    - Prequel status risked and indeed violated continuity
    - Was more of a prequel to TNG than TOS, and that Braga said he'd never seen an episode of TOS (!).
    - The temperol cold war was just a BAD idea.

4. Necros

Necros Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

Hey, thanks for linking this "article" (more like a dumb rant). At least I had a good laugh. :techman: :rommie:

5. Kegek

Kegek Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Loved it. And, to be honest, I agree with his assessment of this episode (terrible, one of the reasons I quit Enterprise) and the show in general (T'Pol, blecch, Phlox likeable, etc.). A great read. :) Of course, Wil Wheaton isn't as invisible as his Amelia Earhart gag suggests (just finished his latest TNG review); but this was some good stuff.

6. galleywest

galleywest Lovable Flake Premium Member

Hey, everybody is entitled to their opinion about the show, and at least his was darned funny. I agree with some of it, especially that bit at the end.

7. Bak_and_Blue

Bak_and_Blue Captain Captain

I hate to admit that I agree with a lot of it. I disliked Archer until the third season even though I am a big fan of Scott Bakula and I desperately wanted to like him. He was just too childish and whiny at times, as exemplified by this episode. I'm sorry for indulging in a "cliche" but Archer's personality (or lack thereof) is so much the fault of the writers and producers.

Anyway, the article made me laugh out loud.:guffaw:

eta: I just want to go on record as saying I did end up loving Archer, and I have always loved ENT the show, warts and all.

Last edited: Apr 30, 2008
  8. Trekwatcher

Trekwatcher Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Too bitter and cynical for my tastes. He ignored everything good about the show, IMHO.

9. JiNX-01

JiNX-01 Admiral Admiral

Gee, I wish he'd just give it to us straight. :rolleyes:

Keckler kicks his ass when it comes to critiquing Enterprise and he doesn't hold a match to her recaps.

10. Kegek

Kegek Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

^
    Well, you've been quoted as representative of the TrekBBS (scroll down), along with Trekwatcher and Necros. Eh? I'm not representative? Bah...

11. Captain X

Captain X Rear Admiral

While I disagree with him about Jolene Blalock and all of the characters being "empty", I can't really disagree with most of his reasons for why Enterprise sucked. I've actually listed off most of those myself as far as what the show's failings were.

12. Gepard

Gepard Vice Admiral Admiral

Yeesh. I knew that ANIS was a shitty episode but I'd forgotten just how bad it was. A giant origami bird? Really? Really? :eek: And dear God, do I want to slap Archer. Die. Just...die. Frakker.
    I'm surprised at how quickly this forum found the recap. I don't recall the other series fora reacting when the other Worst of Trek's went up.

Just to fan the flames, I"ll provide a representative reply from Albert ;) :

Let the denial-of-service attacks begin! :p :lol:

13. Captain X

Captain X Rear Admiral

I actually agree with him there too, because I also see that within my own subset of ENT fans (i'm one of those 'shippers, oh noz!!!). There are a few of us who point out all the flaws and even go as far as to come up with ways it could've been improved upon, but this actually tends to piss a lot of our fellow fans off because they apparently liked absolutely everything about TnT. And don't even get me started on the Archer fans who either think Archer had no flaws, or thought that being horribly inept made him a more likeable character.

And no doubt there will be some people who are going to be mad at me after reading this post, but I guess I'm used to it by now.

14. JiNX-01

JiNX-01 Admiral Admiral

:lol: Hot damn! Thanks for letting me know. I would never have gone back!

15. galleywest

galleywest Lovable Flake Premium Member

How about not fanning the flames, 'k? Thanks.

I will say that JiNX is right, Keckler's review was much, MUCH funnier. I think I like her reviews so much because I don't get the feeling I get from so many other ENT critics, which is that a person should be made to feel bad about liking the show. Keckler, however, always gives me the impression that she's a fan who just, well, watches and comments without pity. ANYWAY, I just re-read the ANIS review and it is hilarious. This, for example:

I've got to find her review of Affliction again. That one was really good.

16. JiNX-01

JiNX-01 Admiral Admiral

Keckler is a riot! The only thing she did that ****ed me off was telling Trip to Shut Up. And even she came around!

17. Bak_and_Blue

Bak_and_Blue Captain Captain

^^Re: Keckler
    Don't care for "Captain Quantum.":borg:

18. Necros

Necros Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

True, I didn't read every word but got through most of it. But I'm just tired of arguing with haters, no matter what you say, they'll ignore it and keep on ranting. Sometimes, if I'm really fed up I jump into an argument but as I said, it's mostly a waste of time. And I've got better ways to waste it. :lol: Sure, Enterprise has it's flaws, like all Star Trek series but if you ignore everything that's good about it - or just can't see it because you hate it so much because of a few things, than your review is worthless, a rant. And yeah, I disagree with a lot of things written in that article, for example about Jolene Blalock, she did a nice job with her Vulcan character - but I guess she just accidentally won the Saturn Award for her performance and was nominated two more times by mistake... :rolleyes:

And I have to apologize, I shouldn't have called the article a dumb rant, it's just a rant, the guy obviously worked a lot to get that out of his system. :vulcan:

19. Oceanborn_angel

Oceanborn_angel Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

I'd just like to say hello. I've recently joined these boards so be gentle with me. That said I've never watched a single episode of Enterprise in my life. I kinda stopped watching Trek after TNG left the airwaves so I've basically stuck with TOS and TNG throughout the decades. But after reading the Agonybooth article about this episode the webmaster chose to review, it doesn't sound like a show I'd be ravenously interested in seeing anyways. Just from the plot breakdown I, an amateur, could come up with a much better take that would not have been so...shall we say cringe worthy. I think Enterprise should have worked as a series, but when Berman is involved promising premises tend to tarnish.

20. Smiley

Smiley Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Oceanborn_angel, do not judge the series by one of its worst examples. Try "Anomaly" or "The Forge" for a taste of how good the series can be.