ADF Logs

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by Falconer, Feb 12, 2020.

1. Falconer

Falconer Commander Red Shirt

Do you reckon there were or are a good chunk of people by whom the TAS novelizations were held in higher esteem or even canonicity than TAS itself?

I just wonder because it seems easy to read a book and imagine it being in the universe of TOS, whereas it’s somewhat harder to watch TAS and translate it, in your brain, to the universe of TOS.

2. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

I tend to assume that the "true" version of what happened in TAS is about halfway between the TV version and the Foster version. Where they conflict, I go with the show (although I'm tempted to make an exception for "BEM," since Foster's version of Pandronian anatomy makes far more sense), but the Foster version adds a lot of interesting stuff on top of what's in the episodes.

When I read the Foster books, I imagine them as animated episodes in Filmation's style, just somewhat more fluidly animated (like Filmation's work in the Flash Gordon or BraveStarr movies a few years down the road). After all, I discovered TAS not long at all after discovering TOS, so my 5-year-old self saw it as a single show that just happened to be live-action sometimes and a cartoon sometimes, and both were equally "real" to me.

3. hbquikcomjamesl

hbquikcomjamesl Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

It was with these books that I learned to love ADF's style, and that while his books tend to start slowly, they richly reward patience.

Leto_II and Therin of Andor like this.
  4. Therin of Andor

Therin of Andor Admiral Moderator

When I was trying to add TAS to my timeline, I found that the ADF Log stardates worked much better than the random digits used in the actual episodes, so I went with the episodes in order of their appearance in the Logs, not production or airdate order.

And yeah, there are a few inconsistencies with the print adaptations and the as-aired episodes. For example, "The Time Trap" episode shows members of these races to be the twelve Elysian Councilors: Andorian, Gorn, Human, Klingon, Kzin, Orion, Phylosian, Romulan, Tellarite, Vulcan, plus a female alien (with a water-filled helmet) and an ant-like insectoid. Some alien races were renamed in "Star Trek Log Four", ie. Berikazin (for the Kzin), Edoan (for the Andorian), Gorin (for the Gorn) and Tallerine (for the Tellarite).

5. Desert Kris

Desert Kris Captain Captain

I can only speak for myself, but I would say that my rule of thumb is what is seen in a TAS episode is what happened, but the novelizations can maybe explain better when some of the action isn't clear, or the "rules" of any given story are muddled. If I watch through the whole classic series like I did last time, I'll watch them in broadcast order, unless someone makes a production order case similar to TOS. The live action series I'll favor production order from hear on out.

I've read a scattering of the ADF log novelizations, mainly the ones that correspond to episodes I had seen while visiting relatives in New England way back in the day. I gather that ADF kind of built a framework around the episodes that he novelized, linking them into an order that he chose to novelize them in. It sounds intriguing, but I don't know if I can get too deep into that right now. Maybe someday. But in the absence of being able to actually sit down and read through the Log series, I will give default credit to ADF's linking framework, based on what I've read about on the forums here.

A couple decades ago, the books were much easier to access, and yes, easy to picture the characters as they are in TOS mode. I mainly stuck with reading novelizations of episodes I was familiar with, only branching out a little once in a while. I was lucky to have read Yesteryear in novelized format, so it felt more fleshed out, but the actual episode is still pretty good. However, I am not a typical bookworm, in the sense that it isn't easy for me to read. I read at a slow rate, have difficulty focusing sometimes, and can occasionally be daunted by very small text font size and an extensive page count. I still love to read despite all that. Now that the actual TAS series is more easily available, it's much easier for me to just watch the episodes. Much harder to contemplate going through the whole novelization series. If unabridged audiobooks were produced for the Log series, I would snag them in a heartbeat. Robert Petkoff reading through that series would be so amazing.

6. Christopher

Pretty much. He did expand the episodes themselves, adding new scenes and dialogue and more detail to events, but he also bridged them together with new material in the manner of a "fix-up" novel, i.e. a novel stitched together from separate stories. And of course the last four had only one episode each, so in Logs 7-9 he added an original sequel story to the last 2/3 of the book, and his "Slaver Weapon" adaptation in Log 10 devoted only 3 out of 16 chapters to the episode, adding three original stories taking place before, during, and after the episode's events.

As for the order he used, it's largely the broadcast order with a few tweaks. Several adaptations are delayed for some reason, but the rest are pretty close to their positions in broadcast order, though the first volume is the only one that corresponds exactly.

Desert Kris likes this.
  7. Falconer

Falconer Commander Red Shirt

I’ve wondered if they could do a sort of hybrid audiobook/drama in which they could combine Foster’s narrative with the spoken audio recorded by the original cast for the cartoon. I have no idea, though, whether those isolated audio stems still exist.

8. Desert Kris

@Christopher Thank you for that overview. The Slaver Weapon adaptation sounds amazing! BEM is one that sounded interesting to me, too. My true enthusiasm is in the direction of things having to do with Captain Robert April, so one day I'll want to read The Counter Clock Incident. I definitely haven't written the series off by any means, but I may get to it in a more scattershot way.

I kind of wish that Yesteryear ended up as one of the ones that got a full-length adaptation, but in a different way to what you describe about the other one episode/one volume adaptations.

I recall reading somewhere there's something going on with Christmas celebrations in one of the volumes, and there's a Klingon captain that keeps reappearing in the later books.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2020
  9. Desert Kris

An interesting idea, but some of William Shatner's reading of the dialogue is a little flat in TAS. It gets the job done, but it's still disconnected from the story and the other characters, because the dialogue was recorded separate from the other actors. Robert Petkoff would bring a lot of energy to it that wouldn't have been in the original episodes, and for my money he nails his performances as Kirk, sounding enough like the character and honoring the speaking cadence of the original performance without descending into parody.

I could get on board with a hybrid, but only if they really made it unabridged. There's a hybridized version of the novel Dune that does that, and there are good performances, but sometimes it favors the flow of a conversation between actors, and some of the non-dialogue text is jettisoned for good logical reasons. It's very nearly an unabridged production, but I'm picky about it being only nearly so, for Dune. I think it would bug me if they did something similar with the Logs, and labelled them as fully unabridged when they are actually very nearly unabridged.

10. Christopher

The adaptation of "The Survivor" in Log 2 opens with a Christmas party.

Commander Kumara, an old "friend" of Kirk's and an atypically charming (but still devious) Klingon, is introduced in Log 7 and returns in Log 10.

A few episodes were recorded together, others separately. That's not the issue. Voice acting is a specialized discipline, and actors who haven't done it before often haven't learned how to give a performance entirely through their voice, so they can be a little flat. Shatner, Nimoy, and Kelley -- the three least experienced voice actors in the cast (I count Nichols as experienced because of her singing career) -- gave the flattest performances in season 1. But they're better in season 2, Shatner especially. By then, they'd gotten more experience, and maybe had a better director.

The other reason a Foster audiobook using TAS dialogue wouldn't work is that Foster rephrased and expanded a lot of the dialogue, so there's a lot that the episode audio wouldn't cover, and it wouldn't work to be constantly cutting back and forth between the original actors and the audiobook performer(s).

Therin of Andor and Desert Kris like this.
  11. Therin of Andor

As explained in the five-part essay (by ADF) in the five trade 2006 reprints of the "Logs", ADF actually cannibalised a two-part episode spec script he had once written, for a potential Season Four of TOS. He dug it out of his filing cabinet when asked by Ballantine/Del Rey Books, at short notice, to devote a whole volume to one episode adaptation in "Star Trek Log Seven".

I managed to convey a message to ADF about this script. Sadly, its episode title is now lost to his memory, and no paper copy of the script exists any more. Commander Kumara, the young Cadet Kirk's roommate from a student exchange program, did feature in that script, and its storyline is adapted into the rest of the "Log".

Desert Kris likes this.
  12. Desert Kris

That's great information, @Therin of Andor thanks for that. I thought I remembered reading something about a reoccurring Klingon commander, and I even thought I remembered something about Kirk being roommates, but it sounded far-fetched inside my mind.

A five-part essay in the 5-volume reprint? How lengthy and in-depth is this essay. I just had this uneasy feeling of my collector's bone playing up on me...

Therin of Andor likes this.
  13. Therin of Andor

It is simple a one-page, small font, in the front of each volume. Made them a must-purchase in 2006, even though I already had the ten matching Ballantine Del Rey MMPBs (ie. not the first eight with TAS cel covers), and the international Pocket Books set of three MMPB omnibuses (the earlier three US Del Rey omnibuses lacked "Log Ten").

Desert Kris likes this.