About to watch TWOK with a newcomer!

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies I-X' started by wayoung, Jan 12, 2020.

1. wayoung

wayoung Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Edit:. Viewing postponed, basement flooded in freezing rain, watching Downton Abbey instead because her husband is out looking for a sump pump
    I
    have a friend, early 30's, married, two kids - 3 and 1. As a child she watched Star Trek with her father, who passed when she was quite young - single digits.

A few years back she decided to watch the entire franchise start to finish, as a way to reconnect with him.

This was before she had kids.

At this point she has finished TOS, TAS, and about half of TNG - and loved it all. Picard is her favourite (Kirk was better!) and she finally watched TMP two weeks ago - it's a lot easier to find 45 minutes for an episode of TNG than 2 hours for a movie.

She hated TMP. To the point she was texting me that she is ready to give up on the movie franchise. Granted, it was the Blu ray so the theatrical version, but still I don't think the DC would have changes her opinion that much.

It took some work but I convinced her to give movie Kirk & Co. one more chance with what I consider to be the purest masterpiece of the franchise - TWOK Blue Ray DC.

I'm at her place for it. Her, her husband, and I are about to watch it.

I'm looking forward to her reactions!

Last edited: Jan 12, 2020
    Armus, T'Lera and Smellmet like this.
  2. Galileo7

Galileo7 Commodore Commodore

Good luck. :vulcan::)

Qonundrum likes this.
  3. T'Lera

T'Lera Cadet Newbie

Just watched all the TOS-based movies with a Star Wars-only fan (oddly, TMP was his favorite). Now we're watching TOS episodes in order... He took a fit last night because "The Pilot doesn't have Kirk in it?" Oh, my sweet summer child...

4. Maurice

Maurice Snagglepussed Admiral

And?

5. Falconer

Falconer Commander Red Shirt

Why did you start with The Cage? Are you also going to watch The Menagerie when you get to it?

6. Qonundrum

Qonundrum Vice Admiral Admiral

Compared to today's polished teasers, is really nicely done. There's some rough cut moments (esp. sound effects) in that teaser but how they juggled plot elements to come up with what almost feels like a different story, to prevent actual spoilers (and not just the big infamous one) yet drive interest in the movie, definitely hit the sweet spot.

Nor does the teaser feel like a letdown after seeing the actual movie.

The sound effects are definitely inspired by pew pew Star Wars, but the movie sells the more personal touch with the theme of revenge - certainly by 1982 standards - extremely well.

I thought I saw a modern take for a teaser but I'd rather see the current one done in the same format, getting rid of the chintzy whoosh and pew pew sound effects. It's largely strong enough on its own, but I can see why people make new teaser trailers for old movies (of which many carry a life of their own as well, despite the cookie cutter templating, which became a template because the first time it was used it was pretty great.)

Galileo7 likes this.
  7. Kor

Kor Fleet Admiral Admiral

At the same time, the trailer kind of exaggerates the scope of the movie with that "at the end of the universe" line.

Kor

Galileo7 and Qonundrum like this.
  8. Qonundrum

It must be like malaria. My ex, a rabid SW fan who never cared much for ST (I was the other way around, lol), always gave TMP high praises above all the others by far. TMP has some greatness (good plot points overall despite arguments and nitpicks... and, of course, effects that make the whole thing feel real and tangible - something even SW had not done in such a close-up scale with portholes and people peering out and the rest of it and I'm so glad I didn't make a typo fifteen words ago (or four words for that matter, how does one get "I" misspelled but I'm sure J'll do it one day...))

And did he recover from his Kirkless coma yet? :devil:

9. Qonundrum

Aye. It never went to the end of the universe in a literal sense... maybe due to the use of Genesis... or as metaphor...

10. Kor

Kor Fleet Admiral Admiral

Though it does stir curiosity about potential crossovers if they happened to visit a certain restaurant located there...

Kor