About the KHAN scream.

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by Cara007, Nov 22, 2013.

1. Cara007

Cara007 Lieutenant

The scream was so awkward and out of place.

Who do you think singularly came up with that idea?

My money is on Lindelof. A lot of film fans have called him a bad writer and this includes both Trek and Prometheus fans.

Do you think it was him that came up with it? I doubt it was Quinto or JJ Abrams or Orci.

I should also ask. What did most of you think of it. Did you like it, loathe it or love it when Spock pulled a Bill Shatner.

2. NewHorizon

NewHorizon Captain Captain

When I went to see STID in the theater, there were two places where literally half the audience groaned. The first was when Cumberbatch said he was "Khan" and Spock screaming was the second.

If they needed to slip Spock saying Khan in there, they should have taken the opposite direction. We've seen Spock lose his shit already, this time he should have collapsed inward and become silent, cool and focused...uttering only a whisper "khan" before bolting upward with purpose and going after him.

3. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

I hated it the first time.

I tolerated it the second time.

Over the other multiple times I came to both appreciate it and look forward to it. I like how Quinto's rage builds up under the surface of his face before he screams.

4. CorporalClegg

CorporalClegg Admiral Admiral

It was a stroke of genius. It's unfortunate so many get caught on the act itself and ignore the color of the conceit.

5. BigJake

BigJake Vice Admiral Admiral

If the color of the conceit is worthy, surely it should not be a problem for the act itself to sell it.

If you're willing to go with the premise behind Spock's emotionality in the scene, the scream isn't out of place. Although set side by side with the original Khan scream I would still say Bill's version was far better delivered. I didn't mind it when I first saw it in the theatre, although I really question the dramatic premise it's based on (whether it feels "earned" and a good use or overuse of the device of breaking Vulcan reserve for effect); there's a difference between a clever conceit and a good idea. I don't know or much care whose idea it was.

6. Tosk

Tosk Admiral Admiral

The reasoning behind Spock screaming doesn't even concern me as much as how comedic the final result is. Spock looks goofy when he Khans.

7. teacake

He looks like a turtle.

8. borgboy

borgboy Commodore Commodore

I see it as the breaking of Spock's control, completely. I think Quinto did a great job with a fairly awkward scene. I think I'm a lot less bothered by it than most people.

9. Saito S

Saito S Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

^ I certainly am. Less bothered than most, that is. For my money, Quinto's Khan scream was far more emotionally convincing, viscerally real, and thematically appropriate than Shatner's was in TWOK.

ETA: The scene on its own merits worked well, I thought. In particular, the sudden cut from the scream to the Vengeance careening down through the clouds was ace.

10. Balrog

Balrog Commodore Commodore

Hey, Quinto's scream works for me.

I still think The Shat-man did it better.

11. Tiberius Jim

Tiberius Jim Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Agreed. Gave me chills even seeing it a second time.

12. Timewalker

Timewalker Cat-lovin', Star Trekkin' Time Lady Premium Member

In many different universes, simultaneously.
    I thought it was stupid.

13. Cara007

Cara007 Lieutenant

His rage building up is what made me uncomfortable. That was the part that it started looking like a parody and Quinto is a brilliant actor but still.

Borgboy : People were bothered by it because of how infamous it became in WOK and how it represented all of bill shatner in his glorious entity.

Personally I wish they did not put it there. For some reason it makes me so angry with the writers and even JJ Abrams who I felt should have known better.

Last edited: Nov 22, 2013
  14. teacake

I also felt he "should have known better" when I first saw it. I was incensed. Looking back now I think I was having a real get off my lawn moment. Even though I rank XI as my favorite No. 1 absolutely adored Trek movie I still felt like JJ was appropriating sacred ground with that scream.

I'm over it now though, I'm enjoying it immensely :lol:

I guess I surprised myself as to how seriously I did take my Trek.. I don't even like TWOK very much!

15. Mytran

Mytran Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Comparing the "realistic-ness" of NuSpock's scream to Kirk's scream is not really possible, since Kirk's scream was a ruse - he was trying to convince Khan that he really had no way off that rock, whereas in reality he knew the Enterprise would pick him up in two hours' time.

Kirk's famous scream - was a fake!

16. 2takesfrakes

2takesfrakes Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The Shat's theatricality in that moment doesn't really subscribe to the notion that he knew anything about an imminent rescue, at all. I mean, Kirk's wild-eyed, shaking with anger yell was more than just a vocal outburst ... am I right? Or am I right? Whose benefit was that for, then, if he knew Spock's plan - aside from ours, that is? His ex-wife's? His kid's? Bones, even? It's well-handled, dramatically ... I like how the camera slowly zooms in on him, as Khan spouts his words of hate ... but the scream is so absurd it's almost comical. When Darth Vader tells Luke who his father is, the scream Luke responds with falls right into that very same category. I laughed when I first saw that ... it was so rediculous and over the top. Same with The Shat's delivery.

17. teacake

WHAT ex-wife??

18. 2takesfrakes

What the balls is her name? The one who dropped her drawers in front of Kirk during INTO DARKNESS ... Carol Marcus. Yes, that's her ...

19. teacake

They never married. They just bred.

20. 2takesfrakes

That's right! That is right. When Kirk first found out about it, he just shrugged and said, "Nuts to her, then, if she can't take a joke ..."