• Welcome! The TrekBBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans.
    If you are not already a member then please register an account and join in the discussion!

News A New Darkwing Duck Series Starring Mark Hamill, Seth Rogen, and Lizzy Caplan,

JD

Fleet Admiral
Admiral
They announced earlier today that a new Darkwing Duck animated series will be coming to Disney+. It will star Mark Hamill as Drake Mallard/Darkwing Duck, Set Rogan as Launchpad McQuak, Lizzy Caplan as Gosalyn Mallard.
Here's the official plot synopsis according to IGN:
For the last 35 years, Darkwing Duck has been trapped in his worst nightmare: an alternate world that’s never heard of his superhero exploits. Now a rebellious teen named Duckie who knows all about his heroic past shows up to pull this ego-fueled vigilante back into battle
I was a big fan of the original, and this is a great cast, so I'll definitely be checking it out.
 
I wouldn't expect them to be exactly like the old show, modern streaming is very different from '90s Saturday morning/afternoon cartoons.
 
So, it’s not directly spin-off from the recent Duck Tales?
It's not.
As a big of the DuckTales reboot, I'm disappointed by that news. That said, I never watched the original Darwking Duck aside from a couple episodes (I never got into it as a kid) so take that opinion with as much salt as you want.

Huh, Jim Cummings not sounding good these days?
There was a news story about a few weeks ago where Cummings said he wasn't in it and he sounded a bit disappointed about not returning:

"I did a pilot for it several years ago, to see the viability of it coming back, and everybody went nuts. And they are bringing it back, and they're hiring somebody else to do Terry McGovern's role of Launchpad, and they're hiring somebody else to be Darkwing Duck. I hope they get...everything they deserve. Crazy, I don't know what to tell you."​
​
Speaking of Launchpad, Seth Rogen's casting (along with the lack of connection to the DuckTales reboot) pretty much kills any interest I had in this reboot.
 
Darkwing Duck is my favorite of the Disney Afternoon shows, and while I'm happy about a revival, I am a bit perplexed by this. If it were a full on reboot, then I'd see the point of casting new voices, but this is a continuation, and at least jim Cummings appears to have hoped to return. It just feels like Rogen as a producer just really wanted to voice Launchpad.
Also, the concept sounds ... very far from what the original show was.
 
I always wondered why they never brought this back. They may have waited too long, I'm not sure who this will appeal to, especially if they're changing a bunch of things.
 
I have admit at first I was excited by the cast just because I'm a big fan of a lot of them, but I guess it is a little odd that this is a continuation and they didn't bring back any of the original cast.
 
i wonder if the reboot will have darkwing duck aka drake mallard do his trademark intros and catchphases like

i am the terror that flaps in the night

lets get dangerous
 
I have admit at first I was excited by the cast just because I'm a big fan of a lot of them, but I guess it is a little odd that this is a continuation and they didn't bring back any of the original cast.

Well, I dunno why they didn't ask Jim back. Gosalyn's actress retired from acting 25 years ago and died 12 years ago too.

I was gonna bring up Launchpad's old VA being 84 years old, his last role was 3 years ago. He might not be able to do it anymore.
 
Well, I dunno why they didn't ask Jim back. Gosalyn's actress retired from acting 25 years ago and died 12 years ago too.

I was gonna bring up Launchpad's old VA being 84 years old, his last role was 3 years ago. He might not be able to do it anymore.
OK, then not coming back make senses then, but you'd think they would have at least brought back Jim Cummings then, especially since he sounds like he wants to come back.
They did announce some other cast members, but when I did the other post, I was being lazy and didn't feel like going through the whole list.
Here's the rest:
Lilimar Hernandez as Duckie
Dan Stevens as Glade McTowers
Tiffany Shepis as Rosa,
Kathryn Newton as Firecracker
Teo Briones as Timb
Tyler Dean Flores as Pondsy
Katie Rich as Officer Shanks
Nat Faxon as Officer Web
The only names there that are familiar to me as Dan Stevens who played the Beast in Disney's live action Beauty and the Beast, David Haller in Legion, and Trapper in Godzilla x Kong: The New Empire, and Kathryn Newton who plays the older Cassie Lang in the MCU. Teo Briones is the brother Isa Briones from Star Trek: Picard.
 
Well, I dunno why they didn't ask Jim back.

Things have been weird between Cummings and Disney recently, and no one is entirely sure why, including Jim, apparently. The claims against him by his ex-wide during the 2019 divorce were never proven, and he was awarded physical custody of his daughters at the end. The only other possible black mark is that he's made a handful of conservative leaning statements on Twitter, leading some to accuse him of being a Trump supporter, but again, he's never actually publicly endorsed Trump.
 
Getting any real answers on why Jim Cummings is not returning is impossible. Anything out there is built on assumptions that have been treated as fact and repeated and repeated. He has continued to work for Disney doing his other characters YET

Anyone who knows a little about animation should know that means nothing . Voice recording is done first. Than the animation. Which can take a very long time. Often years. It’s not clear if currently working for Disney or not.

Total speculation- from the description they want a gritty realistic take on the character. Maybe still humor but in a whole different style. Which is not original character. I do not completely hate Seth Rogan. A few things of him I have liked. But look to the Chip and Dale movie he did. It had nothing to do with those characters or that show. Some other characters could have been but in those roles and made no difference. That is my worry about this. All the sequel labeling is meaningless if the character and style is unrecognizable. This seems like something DC or Marvel would do as comic book miniseries. Alternate take on older character. It runs its course with little visibility and is forgotten. Maybe normal version exists side by side and not effected.

Problem with this - it’s been decades and this is all we are getting. Might become default version of character.
 
wonder if this reboot is gonna be like that 1991 darkwing duck episode where goslyn accidently time traveled with quakerjack and megavolt to the future and they encountered a darker verison of darkwing duck who was like batman called dark warrior duck
 
If you are not already a member then please register an account and join in the discussion!

Sign up / Register


Back
Top