A negative take on the film

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by Mjuice, May 14, 2009.

1. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

And since they don't, it's not really an issue. :)

2. gilmour1899

gilmour1899 Ensign Red Shirt

I would suggest not even fox news would think up a poll with those terms.

If 600 people thought the movie was "Average" does that mean it's a positive result?

3. Amaris

Amaris Guest

Yes. Average would be the dividing line. Average and better is positive, below average and poor is negative. Even if, however, we add Average to the negative side, it is still:

Above Average or Excellent: 632
    Average to Poor: 118

Still only 20% overall, which is still very lopsided, and that includes people who thought the movie average, which means that 80% of the vote says the movie is above average or excellent which is very positive. You wouldn't call a candidate with an 80% voting margin a close call. It would be an overwhelming majority.

J.

4. stonester1

stonester1 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Hence, the "liberal media".

:D

5. Peter the Younger

Peter the Younger Commodore Commodore

As much as I am personally tempted by it, I think it would be wise if we all refrain from comparisons to the current political climate. I'm not saying there aren't comparisons to be made, but there are flame wars on the political blogs that make our worst arguments look like a love fest. Let's keep it limited to the discussion of imaginary space travelers. ;)

6. Islander

Islander Commodore Commodore

That's just not possible. All imaginery tales have a basis in reality, often in the lives of the writters. They don't necessarily have propaganda or social messages but they do reflect the culture of their time, which politics is a big part.

7. freak

freak Commodore Commodore

As it was stated by Zachary Quinto in an interview with David Letterman not too long back, this movie is "an alternate universe movie". It is not the Trek we grew to know, people! I liked it in the fact that it seemed like it was into the not too distant future, especially with the Nokia gadgets in young Kirk's car. Personally, the movie was extremely awesome and more action packed that I ever remember it being. But of course, this isn't 1982, it's 2009. :P
    I do can see why some people here have a problem with the movie..it did have some faults in the storyline. But, it overall, had THE BEST opening scene of ANY movie I have ever seen!!!!!!! I was seriously on the edge of my seat the whole entire time and didn't feel like it was 2 hours long at all!!!
    This is actually the first time that I've heard any negative comments about the movie in general..on TBBS! Mostly it has been really positive and that's why I went to see it for myself and found it just amazing.
    Two things bothered me: The Spock/Uhura romance..what the hell were they thinking?! But I guess it's an alternate universe movie and therefore Spock gets all the women instead of Kirk. :D And of course the destruction of homeworlds as well. I seriously wanted to kick some Romulan ass by the time the movie was over with! :)

8. Lightinspire

Lightinspire Lieutenant Commander

Maybe because they all just about get edited or deleted completely so why bother voicing them. Reminds me of another forum who bans and edits at the slightest touch of a negative comment. Guess they like looking at their work thru rose colored glasses without seeing the real world where not everyone agrees.

9. Jolantru

Jolantru Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

That is so weird! I never knew when you blow someones head off, it causes them to spontaneously grow a mustache, glasses and show signs of male pattern balding, just before exploding!

10. Squiggy

Squiggy FrozenToad Admiral

Stick with me kid and I'll teach you lots of things. Come, put your little hand in mine.