A Little Something: Enterprise G (with input from Gabe Koerner)

Discussion in 'Fan Art' started by erifah, Jun 17, 2014.

1. JES

JES Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Agreed!
    This is the sort of thing that a sufficiently advanced civilization would do.

2. erifah

erifah Captain Captain

In that case, I shall have to keep them, and simply add some appropriate detailing. :mallory:

3. saddestmoon

saddestmoon Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Love it!!!!! :D

I want a model / replica of this!!!

:bolian: Awesome work erifah! Thanks for sharing it with us.

4. FredH

FredH Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

This ship and the thinking behind it feels like the show I want Star Trek to be, and will probably never be again. Nice work.

5. erifah

erifah Captain Captain

A few updates to the saucer impulse engines.

I went with the night version to show the updates, because even I was surprised at how slightly... sinister? they look. Oh well, I think even "nice guys" should have an edge!

I said "what the heck" and actually copied and pasted the supercharger drawing off of the P-38 and stuck it in the star, so thats what THAT is.

[​IMG]

And here's the full shot.

Cut me a break on the shadows and spotlights, I'm still very new at this.

[​IMG]

6. erifah

erifah Captain Captain

If someone built a 3D model of this - or even a physical model - I'd TOTALLY pay good money for a copy.

7. MadMan1701A

MadMan1701A Commodore Premium Member

This thing is starting to look pretty good. :)

When do you plan on having some other views done? I could probably build a 3D model of this thing.

Then I could print it out. :D

Let me know if you want me to.

-Ricky

8. erifah

erifah Captain Captain

I have no plans to do so - doing this one view damn near put me in the nut house, what with my OCD and all.:rofl:

I've sketched out a few things - REAL rough sketches - to help me sort out what I see and what I'm thinking it looks like in 3D.

[​IMG]

That said, I can easily see this staying as a very "flat" ship, and looking good. But I can also also see it as a somewhat "tall" ship, with the saucer having a thick-ish rim and a pronounced bulge, and the warp nacelle pylons arching high up.

But, hey, I say, DON'T overdo a 2D drawing - give the 3D artist some room to be creative too! Wanna collaborate? Gabe Koerner gave simple input on the warp nacelles and THAT made the whole thing come together, so I'm big on collaboration.

Last edited: Jun 25, 2014
  9. erifah

erifah Captain Captain

I was just wandering over on your website with all the beautiful projects on it.

Jeeze, man! If there's a "Top 5" list of 3D artists who deserve the right to artistically interpret any design in 3D as he/she sees fit, you're on it!

10. MadMan1701A

Cool, thanks. :)

If you want to send me an e-mail, we can start talking about getting it going.

-Ricky

11. ancient

ancient Vice Admiral Admiral

I like it. I like that it isn't flat as a pancake from the front view. My thought about post TNG era ships is that they would become more like mobile starbases.

I also like bigger TOS style nacelles, so I'd like to think that at some point big engines would come back - maybe when transwarp engines become standard they'll be huge and clunky, lol.

12. erifah

erifah Captain Captain

Thanks. I like your style. :mallory:

Here's my thought process on "mobile star bases": the Feds would want to project its presence to the far reaches of the Federation and beyond, without necessarily being tied to a relatively stationary star base.

I kinda dig the idea of certain planets being a hub of activity with lots and lots of spacecraft buzzing about. Sorta like the Coruscant of Star Wars (but not THAT much buzzing.)

A traditional Enterprise is great for exploration and a defensive/warship role, as we've seen in the movies and TV. But THIS Enterprise (and the one I've planned after it) would plop herself right into that mix and stay there for extended tours of duty, with lots of comings and goings going on.

This Enterprise G is rather on the small side for what I really have in mind. My Enterprise H will be much larger, with the saucer serving as a space dock, and the saucer rim stacked with all sorts of nice details like landing pads, docking ports, and the like.

I'm still working out in my head what she'll look like, and how I can make her look like a strong presence of the Federation, yet still be long and thin and delicate in some places.

13. erifah

erifah Captain Captain

Heh. I was born in Milton, Florida. That's a good omen! :cool:

In this dance, you'll have to lead - I have no problem with that. A 3D model is going to reveal design impossibilities in my single-view 2D piece.

If it was good enough for Andy Probert to step back and let Tobias run with his "C", then that collaboration philosophy is good enough for ME! Sent you an email.

14. MadMan1701A

Awesome. :) I've been here most of my life.

It's a pretty nice place, except for the heat in the summer. Like now. :)

-Ricky

15. publiusr

publiusr Admiral Admiral

I am also glad you chose not to make it flat as I first assumed. This is quite lovely.

Instead of a captains yacht, that saucer is big enough that you could put a Defiant in its place underneath.

16. erifah

erifah Captain Captain

Thanks!

There's a time and place for flat ships that CAN look nice, but this one isn't it. Besides, there are too many opportunities to have creative fun with all the views.

Like when I realized I'd drawn a nice concave shape on the secondary hull, and liked it, and now I want to explore that shape.

[​IMG]

17. DEWLine

DEWLine Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Pray continue. It's an intriguing concept to look at as it evolves!

18. KaineMorrison

KaineMorrison Lieutenant Commander

Amazing Design.
    I have one question though...
    Have you given thought to Shield Breach/Hull Damage in regards to the windows?

19. JES

JES Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I'm really enjoying seeing progress, and really liked the curvy side view. I'm not liking how the front view of the secondary hull is looking though.
    I was expecting it to look more rounded from the front.

20. Relayer1

Relayer1 Admiral Admiral

I hd an idea about mobile starbases a while ago.

A large engineering/stardrive section that can detatch its equally large saucer. The saucer extends its central core downwards leaving a large pressuried space at its centre. This is the starbase.

The engineering hull can either stay on as a support vessel or continue on to other missions/strbase deliveries...