7X12 Nightmare in Silver(Grading/Discussion)(SPOILERS)

Discussion in 'Doctor Who' started by Samurai8472, May 11, 2013.

?

Grade "Nightmare in Silver"

Poll closed Jun 20, 2013.
  1. Excellent!

21 vote(s)
    18.8%
  2. Great

46 vote(s)
    41.1%
  3. Average

36 vote(s)
    32.1%
  4. DELETE!

6 vote(s)
    5.4%
  5. "Iron Man 3" was better"

3 vote(s)
    2.7%
  1. sttngfan1701d

sttngfan1701d Commodore Commodore

Good episode. Nice moments with the Doctor and the CyberDoctor. JLC did a good job too, though I think Clara slipped a little too easily into command mode. Like she had been commanding troops all her life. I don't care too much though, since she's the cutest thing ever.

2. Chess Piece Face

Chess Piece Face Commodore Commodore

This was all over the place. I was very disappointed because it was Gaiman...I was expecting another The Doctor's Wife. The kids, the cybermen being extinct and then magically not and coming alive...all just not good.

Matt being Mr Clever was fun, and Davis was awesome. That's it. Clara the commander? Lame.

If you look at the list of Season 7...it's really been crap, and the second half even more so. Moffat needs to go, he has turned the whole thing into an overly zippy disney adventure and it's all pretty meaningless. I have no faith in the finale/name reveal next week and have no faith in the 50th adventure, either.

3. ATimson

ATimson Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

And have the same leitmotif! ;)

4. intrinsical

intrinsical Commodore Commodore

Anyone watched the making of Nightmare in Silver? Cyber-macarena, deadliest cyber weapon of all time.

5. Valin

Valin Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I liked this one alot. Much better than Gaiman's last story. I do agree with the poster who thought that the Doctor should have left the kids in the TARDIS instead of taking a nap in the Wax Museum.

Smith's acting was quite good in this one.

I think Clara's personality being somewhat different week by week is actually part of the story arc. One of the reasons she's the Impossible Girl. She has become one of my favorite Companians of all time.

Moffat is doing a wonderful job with the characters and the show. He keeps improving, as opposed to the last showrunner who started out strong , but unfortunately started losing it towards the end (though his shows were still enjoyable).

6. Neroon

Neroon Mod of Balance Moderator

Was this on BBC?

7. Gov Kodos

Gov Kodos Admiral Admiral

Gov Kodos on Mohammed's Radio, WZVN Boston
    Yeah, here maybe around 2:40 http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p018w9s1

8. Klaus

Klaus Vice Admiral Admiral

I liked it a lot... reading this thread really makes me wonder yet again why some people watch shows they seemingly detest so much. I weary of the debates before they even begin.

Despite being a Red Sox fan, I guess I'm not that masochistic.

9. Thestral

Thestral Vice Admiral Admiral

Gave it an Excellent myself. Primarily for the stuff from Smith and Davies, loved the Doctor-v-Doctor stuff and the hidden emperor. I caught the bits of 10 really easily, but missed any references to 9 or others, where were they?

Clara's stuff was fun and entertaining - her scenes with Smith particularly, I do love the ship teasing - but she did seem to slip into commading way easily. The kids were... well, I'm glad they were in a coma for most of it. The girl especially.

Overall another really good episode from Gaiman, albeit not on the lever of The Doctor's Wife but that's quite alright. Looking forward to more Victorians next week!

10. Stevil2001

Stevil2001 Vice Admiral Admiral

Since Warwick Davies didn't activate the bomb as soon as the Cybermen showed up, doesn't that make all the deaths his fault?

11. ATimson

ATimson Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Either activating it right away would have left people behind (if they only transmat people around the emperor), or it would have brought partially-converted people onto the flagship. Either one would have resulted in deaths as well (quite possibly more of them).

This may be weak justification after-the-fact, but it seems like the least-bad outcome given the circumstances.

12. sttngfan1701d

The Doctor's last line of the episode pretty much shows that they are going to continue with the shippy stuff. He's obviously attracted to her. It'll be funny going forward.

As for the girl, the way she says "stupid" makes me think she's the same girl they used to play the young Melody from Let's Kill Hitler.

13. Gov Kodos

Besides, he was conflicted on the use of such weapons. While it seemed the ground troops could handle the situation, he gave the Doctor and Clara time to get the Cyber tech out of himself (the Doc) and the kids.

14. Mister Fandango

Mister Fandango Fleet Captain

He was more than conflicted. He was devastated by having to give the order to destroy an entire galaxy, as he effectively said near the beginning of the episode. The implication was that was the main reason he went to hide to begin with.

15. Gov Kodos

My understanding was that was a thousand years before. They've blown up world's since that usage, and it was that continued use which he's trying to avoid now that's on his mind. The captain herself had failed to follow such orders, which is what put her in charge of this punishment platoon. I'll have to watch the scene again.

16. Thestral

Thestral Vice Admiral Admiral

In retrospect though that scene was a good hint about his reluctance to take similar methods, being sorry for who did it in the past. Also a nice bit of connection between him and the Doctor - I was surprised that at no point did Clara learn about the Doctor doing something extremely similar and is haunted by that past. It was all there in subtext of course, but never actually stated.

17. DeadmeatDiggory

DeadmeatDiggory Commander Red Shirt

Do you really expect "Plot-Hole" Moffat to give us any resolution next week?

Also, am I the only one who thinks the answer to who Clara is is that she is a regenerated Jenny?

18. sttngfan1701d

That crossed my mind and it would be interesting, but I don't think so.

19. Kruezerman

Kruezerman Commodore Commodore

Meh. It wasn't offensively bad, but I just didn't care. It's like these episodes are simply fanwank just to appease the nerds and not entertain anymore. The big sister ticked me off to no end, what a brat.

That's just the problem with this season and even partially season six, I just don't care, there's no large story for me to get behind, the characters are flat, and the Doctor is acting more and more hypocritical. I'm hoping I'm wrong and Moffatt wows me in the end but I have little faith in it now.

Oh, and the obvious Borg look just annoyed me. They're stealing from Star Trek now? Blatantly even?

20. Skellington

Skellington Part-time poltergeist Rear Admiral

Three out of five. (IM3 is my favourite of shell-head's solo movies and would get four at least.)

The rather narcissistic and possibly borderline sociopathic Angie didn't do my enjoyment of the episode too many favours, though that's a judgement of the character and not the actress. Props to the Doctor and Clara for the statutory kidnapping and nearly getting her killed. Better luck next time. ;)

Didn't like the thing with the destroyed galaxy, as a supposedly science fictional show ought at least to demonstrate a rudimentary knowledge of science and recognise that if a galaxy is x hundred thousand light years away then you're seeing it as it was x hundred thousand years ago.

Anyway, kids and dodgy science aside it was an enjoyable enough romp, made better by the Doctor's chess game and Warwick Davis' very robust turn as Porridge. Not anywhere in the same league as The Doctor's Wife and surprisingly pedestrian in tone and direction considering its authorship, but still a decent episode with some very nice visuals and a sense of fun.

Last edited: May 12, 2013