7X01 Asylum Of The Daleks (Grading/Discussion) (SPOILERS!)

Discussion in 'Doctor Who' started by Samurai8472, Sep 1, 2012.

?

Grade "Asylum Of The Daleks"

Poll closed Oct 1, 2012.
  1. Geronimo!

55.2%
  2. Good

32.8%
  3. Average

8.6%
  4. Save us!

2.3%
  5. Exterminate!!

1.1%
  1. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

I voted good. But I still loved it.

2. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

An average episode. Decent, entertaining, maintained my interest, but not quite what I would call "epic" or "awesome."

The opening shot of Skaro was awesome, though I have to wonder, who built that Dalek statue? Are Daleks themselves so vain they have to build a building-sized statue of themselves?

I liked the scenes at the Dalek Parliament, particularly the Prime Minister who had some great lines about seeing beauty in hatred.

I see that even though we won't have any two-parters we are still having story arcs going through the season, since I doubt Jenna-Louise Coleman as Oswin was a coincidence. I'll give credit though, the Oswin story did keep me guessing. At first when her shipmate claimed to have only been there shortly and the others were decayed corpses, I feared they were going a wibbly-wobbly route. Then I figured she was the daughter of Dalek servant lady. I don't quite get the whole erasing the Doctor from the Dalek databases thing, though. The Daleks themselves are organic beings. While this trick might have worked on the Daleks in the Asylum on account that they are crazy, surely the Parliament should remember him despite their computers having been erased?

Also, I'm guessing The Question is also going to be an ongoing arc throughout the season. Just like The Wedding of River Song, this episode ends with "Doctor Who?" being repeatedly asked. Hell, I think in the final scene in the console room, the Doctor even imitates the exact same way Dorium said it last year, particularly with the final one. "Doc-tor Who?"

I'm glad I already heard that classic era Daleks being featured were minor and overhyped to drum up publicity, otherwhise I'm sure I'd have been disappointed. Well, I still am kind of. All the classic era Daleks were seen in darkened scenes and covered in dust, making it near impossible to distinguish them from the RTDaleks. With the obvious exception of the Special Weapons Dalek.

So, isn't Amy still infected with the Dalek nano-virus or whatever? I mean, yes the Doctor stuck his bracelet on her thereby stopping it. But she was still infected, so surely as soon as that bracelet is off the nanovirus will continue to transform her? Or does she keep the bracelet? Or get some sort of treatment in the TARDIS?

Just why did the Daleks take the TARDIS, anyway? I guess they probably had plans for it, but they don't seem to do anything with it while the Doctor is down in the Asylum. And after Oswin erased the Doctor from the database, why didn't any of the Daleks go "what is an Earth police box doing among the Parliament?"

Amy and Rory's divorce didn't really ring true with me. Specifically, the implication that it was Amy who dumped Rory. Personally, I think it would have been more consistent if Rory dumped her, since in their cameo in Closing Time Rory did seem irritated and impatient, especially when Amy's fans kept bugging her. Minor quibble, I guess since their problems are now resolved and this issue likely won't be revisited.

3. Bob The Skutter

Bob The Skutter Complete Arse Cleft In Memoriam

Of course, did I say anyone was delusional? I just think there's an aspect of people wanting to love it after so long without Doctor Who.

4. teacake

How long does it take to get divorced in the UK? In Australia you must be separated for 12 months before you can apply for it and after that it can take a while depending on court delays.

I can believe they had a major drama spat. If you can divorced in a couple months, sure. But if there is a much longer requirement it seems unlikely.. and it seems even more unlikely that they would get back together so quick.

"I CANNA HAVE YOUR BAIRNS!"

"I don't care"

:: divorce papers torn up ::

And hey.. do we get another wedding now?

5. Pindar

Pindar Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

:guffaw: I wish this was the actual dialogue.

6. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

I don't know about the UK, but in Canada it doesn't take that long. I know a guy who got married shortly before Christmas one year, then seperated the following February and had the divorce finalized in May.

7. teacake

That sounds intelligent.

It does have relevance to the Pond story. How long has all this marital strife been going on for?

8. Bob The Skutter

According to Pond Life they split in August.

9. teacake

But how are the papers arriving so soon?

UK, weigh in.

10. Bob The Skutter

The plot requires it?

11. Methos

Methos Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

The Dalek's aren't, but Davros is... I have little doubt Davros would comission a skyscraper sized Dalek to look over Skaro while he was away... he's just got that much of a megalomaniac ego...

M

12. Alidar Jarok

Alidar Jarok Everything in moderation but moderation Moderator

That's life, raggedy man.

They had already done the fighting and gone separate ways for awhile thing. We're tuning in after that too.

13. zarkon

zarkon Captain Captain

Plus Emperors have been known to go a bit peculiar.

Should stick to supremes really

14. DWF

DWF Admiral Admiral

I have to wonder how the original Skaro is still around since the entire solar system was destroyed in Rememberance Of The Daleks.

15. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

<<Doctor to Amy, in the teaser: "Make sure they (presumably the Daleks) remember who you are".

And it was said with a very strong emphasis.

I wonder what that was about, and where it's going? >>

My interpretation: the Daleks will gladly kill any normal human, or kill them just to get the Doctor to take them seriously. So she has to stand out and appear to be important, so that they're given pause. That's why they never just gun the Doctor down the second they see him; they're too afraid of what he's in the middle of pulling off.

16. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

Re: the Doctor killing all the Daleks...

They never spelled it out but I took "The Moment" as being this god-like weapon that allowed the Doctor to literally wish the Daleks and Time Lords out of existence, no matter where they were, so that every single one of them (aside from the endless special exceptions) would be killed. And he was spared since he was the one using the weapon, of course.

17. Allyn Gibson

Allyn Gibson Vice Admiral Admiral

*cough* War of the Daleks *cough*

Really, I don't want to touch the canonicity of that. I'd much rather assume that Skaro survived the detonation of the Skaro-Sun (which is possible), but the presence of a shining sun on Skaro makes that possibility unlikely.

18. Lonemagpie

Lonemagpie Writer Admiral

In Remembrance itself, the line "home planet Skaro about to vaporise" is followed about 90 seconds later by the Doctor telling the Black Dalek that Skaro is "a burnt cinder circling a dead sun" so the level of its "destruction" has always been somewhat open to interpretation.

(I just watched it yesterday afternoon!)

19. Worf2DS9

Worf2DS9 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Well, I really enjoyed that episode last night! I recognized JLC immediately, having been aware of her casting, seen the "first official photos" on the DW site a while back, and seen her in the recent Titanic miniseries. I really liked her, and it'll be interesting to see how Oswin relates to Clara. Wasn't expecting her to be a full-on Dalek at the end though.

Elsewhere, the asylum itself was pretty creepy, though I was a bit disappointed that the hype about all the classic-era Daleks appearing was just that. I kept straining my eyes trying to spot the old ones, but really only recognized the SWD, which has that distinct design.

Didn't fully buy the Amy/Rory strife, but it looks like they're on the way to sorting it. Looking forward to next week!

20. The Mirrorball Man

The Mirrorball Man Vice Admiral Admiral

• The destruction of the Skaro Sun was reversed during the Time War; or
    • This was New Skaro; or
    • They rebuilt the sun; or
    • The system was rebooted during Big Bang 2; or
    • The Doctor was lying when he said that he had blown up the Skaro Sun; or
    • It's not really important. ;)