62nd Primetime Emmy Awards Discussion

Discussion in 'TV & Media' started by Dream, Aug 29, 2010.

1. Owain Taggart

Owain Taggart Vice Admiral Admiral

Yeah, same here. Considering this would of been the only time he could of won for hosting the Tonight Show and Colbert will be around and keeps winning.

2. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

Wow, they are just completely shutting out LOST in its final year. While it wasn't the strongest year I was expecting the "legacy vote" for the entire six year run like they usually do.

At least Daily Show won, even though Colbert is always the stronger show.

3. Tom

Tom Vice Admiral Admiral

HBO seems dominate alot of awards.

4. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

Yep, LOST didn't win a single award. Jeez.

5. tomalak301

tomalak301 Fleet Admiral Admiral

Sucks Glee lost (I expected Modern Family to take it when the show started and they started the momentum) but at least it took 2 and the best Supporting for Jane Lynch. It's still a great show, but maybe it's good Glee lost because there might have been some Glee Backlash (It's started already kinda) and despite all that, I still love the show. Looking forward to the new season and more Heather Morris, whose one liners are some of the shows best bits. Also, the Britney Spears episode should be interesting.

6. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

DAMMIT! LOST GOT SCREWED! Complete shut out. :mad:

Dexter didn't win for series and Michael C. Hall didn't win for lead actor either.

Stupid Emmys! I'm glad I don't have to watch the awards show anymore now that Lost is over.

7. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

If Hugh Laurie keeps getting passed over for an Emmy, I'll... I'll... do something!

8. tomalak301

tomalak301 Fleet Admiral Admiral

Some thoughts on the Emmys before the Monday Morning QB'ing begins.

-I don't watch series like Lost, Breaking Bad, Mad Men, and that stuff so I'm not angry at this show. I was a bit surprised given all the press on Lost last year that it didn't get the "sympathy" vote and even more of a farewell than what it got with Fallon and that silly routine.

-I don't like Jimmy Fallon, so I'm biased, but some of his material was crap. The whole Twitter thing, the imitations saying farewell to Law & Order, Lost, and 24, and how his role in the opening thing. Maybe I don't think he's a good singer, but I wanted to hear more of the Glee Cast and Fallon got in the way.

-Like I said, I didn't expect Glee to win all the awards, and it was nice to see Lynch win and best directing for Murphy. I do wonder if I should check out Modern Family this season but I think I've said about about 5 times already.

-Glad Parsons won. With the episodes of "Big Bang" I've seen, he's awesome in it.

-The show seemed to go at a rollicking pace until the Miniseries portion of it. I just don't care that much, and whoever this Temple person is, I hope she's happy. Her movie won all the awards. When was it on again? Of course I understand she has Autism and that's a terrible thing, but man she got a ton of air time.

Overall I'd give the show a C. Nothing special or memorable, but I'm not going to get Angry over it or anything. It's just another self depreciating show to fill 3 hours on a Sunday night. Glad it ended ontime though.

9. sidious618

sidious618 Admiral Admiral

I was hoping Breaking Bad would win because as much as I love Mad Men and LOST they've already one. I was also hoping Matthew Fox would win for actor. I love Bryan Cranston but he already has two emmys so I hoped Fox would get some love. That said, Cranston is the best actor on TV right now and he does deserve it.

10. Samurai8472

Samurai8472 Admiral Admiral

Bucky Gunts = Greatest Name Ever?

Ricky-We're all Bucky Gunts

He should host next years Emmy's

"I'm paying for the beer. "The Office" is in syndication."

11. JacksonArcher

JacksonArcher Vice Admiral Admiral

Ricky Gervais hosted the Emmy's a few years back. He was great. He needs to come back.

12. Data Holmes

Data Holmes Admiral Admiral

The networks are afraid of him. He's known to go off script and say some things which, while funny as hell, tend to piss some people off. :lol:

13. Amaris

Amaris Guest

^ Which is why he needs to come back. He's absolutely brilliant. :D

14. Jack Bauer

Jack Bauer Fleet Admiral Admiral

Mad Men won best drama. Sorry for your pain.

15. JacksonArcher

JacksonArcher Vice Admiral Admiral

Your predictions all came true. Can you predict my love life? My professional career?

Whatever you have... I want it.

16. PlainSimpleJoel

PlainSimpleJoel Fleet Admiral Premium Member

Indeed ... he was awesome, as I watch it now.

Very happy about Jim Parsons winning. And I'm another person who doesn't understand why modern familty is popular.

17. CaptainCanada

CaptainCanada Admiral Admiral

That was definitely true a while ago (and is still in the miniseries category), but AMC is the new awards titan: between Breaking Bad and Mad Men, they won Best Drama, Best Actor Drama, Best Supporting Actor Drama, and Best Writing Drama - four of the seven drama awards.

Actually, going over this by network among just the comedy/drama categories:

AMC - 4 (Drama, Actor Drama, Supporting Actor Drama, Writing Drama)
    ABC - 3 (Comedy, Supporting Actor Comedy, Writing Comedy)
    FOX - 2 (Supporting Actress Comedy, Directing Comedy)
    CBS - 2 (Actor Comedy, Supporting Actor Drama)
    Showtime - 2 (Actress Comedy, Directing Drama)
    TNT - 1 (Actress Drama)

Man, NBC really sucks.

Last edited: Aug 30, 2010
  18. Too Much Fun

Too Much Fun Commodore Commodore

It's weird how Al Pacino's film career has been so lackluster for awhile now (though at least it's not really embarrassing like De Niro's), but he seems to do stellar work on TV (I recall him winning awards for a miniseries a few years ago too). Brian Cranston winning builds my anticipation for "Breaking Bad", which I'm all set to start catching up on soon.

The only shows currently running that I watch are "How I Met Your Mother", "The Big Bang Theory", "Louie", "Futurama", and "Weeds", so the only win that meant anything to me was Jim Parsons. Obviously "Weeds" is considered past its prime by everyone and shows/actors only win awards when they're considered 'hot'. I wish Mary Louise Parker had won one before her show had fallen off the Emmy radar, but the Emmys always overlook many people.

Any time I feel like something I like was robbed, I remember three things. They mostly ignored "Buffy the Vampire Slayer" (of course "Hush" was awesome, but there were many, many just as worthy episodes and performances that were overlooked), gave away many writing awards that should have gone to "The X-Files", and nominated but never actually gave an award to Frank Gorshin for playing The Riddler (I don't even have to know who was nominated the same year to know his iconic role was the rightful winner).

Clearly they're prone to making bad calls and their choices shouldn't be taken too seriously. I would love to see "Louie" get some awards next year after what a great season the show has had, but I doubt it will happen since they tend to award 'safe' shows, making a show as original and daring as that one an unlikely candidate.

19. stj

stj Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Your most steadfast love is close to hand.
    You will never be appreciated the way you should be.

:devil:

It was a lucky night for me, wasn't it?

20. Jax

Jax Admiral Admiral

So glad that Jim Parsons and John Lithgow won :techman:

Theres are still WTF awards that makes me consider the Emmy's are nothing more than a cheap joke, which was all but confirmed a long time ago with how West Wing dominated for 4 years but Sheen never won in 7 years...

Dexter still to win best show but Mad Men wins its third consecutive Emmy, GIVE ME A FUCKING BREAK. Then again True Blood just getting nominated is a joke in itself. Hugh Laurie will probably never win either or get nominated again and am sorry despite the show slight dip due to old age, FFS what does he have to do to win...same goes for Michael C Hall.

The Big Bang didn't even get nominated :rolleyes: