60s Batman show rights issues resolved!

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Chris3123, Jun 7, 2012.

1. Gov Kodos

Gov Kodos Admiral Admiral

Gov Kodos on Mohammed's Radio, WZVN Boston
    I liked 'Batman Forever' and even enjoyed a lot about 'Batman and Robin' even with the cringe worthy batcredit cards and such silliness. I prefer them to Nolan's films, but that may be in part my enjoyment of the camp Adam West show to the modern serious Batman. What can I say, I also enjoy 'Howard the Duck'.

2. N-121973

N-121973 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Actually there is continuity-twisting reference to TGH on Batman between their two onscreen appearences on the show which suggests that TGH existed as a TV-show in the Dozierverse Batman.
    I can't remember the exact episode but Batman and Robin are called into action by Commissioner Gordon and Dick laments the fact that they were just going to sit down and watch the Green Hornet on TV. Sorry I can't remember which Batman episode it was.

3. inflatabledalek

inflatabledalek Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

One thing that puzzles my (not even remotely legal) mind. The article claims that Warner's have previously been able to do merchendise to the show, just not anything featuring the likeness of the actors (just logo bases stuff and the Batmobile). So is this the result of a new deal with Fox, or is it the case Warner's could have always done this but have only recently done deals with the actors and their estates?

After all, they already own the look of Batman and can seemingly use the logo so if they do a separate one on one deal with, say, Adam West to use his face on a Batman toy in a box with the 60's logo on it would they even need to consult Fox to do it?

4. Gojira

Gojira Commodore Commodore

5. inflatabledalek

inflatabledalek Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Batman and Robin is a great movie for small kids, big bright and like having a mouthful of blue smarties. My little cousin loves it and she and I will often throw random Arnie quotes at each other. Unlike the West show it doesn't have that adult crossover appeal (what makes it work is everyone in the West series plays it straight- most could have done the roles in a "Serious" Batman show- whilst in And Robin they're all winking at the camera and trying too hard to be knowingly camp) but I think it's a testament to the character he can do the high camp of West and Shumacher and the dark and gritty Nolan films and do both well.

I can't really imagine a Superman film working in either style, Bats is just more versatile for whatever reason.

6. Admiral James Kirk

Admiral James Kirk Writer Admiral

No, my brain is still functioning. I don't need other people to tell me what I should and should not be enjoying. Thanks for your concern. ;)

7. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

The point of that Recap is not to get you to hate the Batman Forever, but to point out how stupid the writing is. It is also there to provide some humor. I certainly enjoyed reading it. :p

8. RandyS

RandyS Vice Admiral Admiral

Actually, it's better than Batman Returns. I've always thought it ironic how Tim Burton is respected, and Joel Shumaker hated, when they did the exact same thing. They both made excellent first Batman films, and shitty second ones.

What's even more ironic, is that Nolan also did this. But since he's making a third one, I'm looking forward to seeing if the pattern is broken.

9. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I just watched Batman Forever while it was briefly streaming on Netflix, and I really enjoyed it. I just thought it was alot of fun. I've never bothered with B&R, but after seeing that there are some people on here that do like it, I might have to move it up in my netflix disc queue.

10. Gojira

I watched Batman and Robin last night. It is a lot fun. They did intensify the camp aspect of it and there are a lot of corny one liners but all in all it is a lot of fun. Great visuals too. A real comic book come to life.

11. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

As far as I need to read. ;)

12. Brikar99

Brikar99 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

While far from my preferred interpretation of the character, the Adam West Batman is a ton of fun. I will eagerly revisit this series if it comes to DVD.

13. the G-man

the G-man Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Yes.

Batman Returns had as much camp, if not more, than Batman Forever: Penguin for Mayor (a plot lifted from the 60s TV show), the giant ducky boat, the circus of crime, the army of Penguins with rocket launchers, Selina being brough to life after being bitten by (apparently magic) alley cats, most of the scenes with Max, etc.

Forever had better action scenes.

And compare the two different reasons in the two different films why Bruce revealed--or tried to reveal--his ID to the villains. In Forever, he tried to reveal his ID to Harvey to save people's lives. In Returns it revealed it to Selina, the Penguin and Max to try and get laid.

I'm not saying Forever isn't a flawed film. But it's better than Returns.

14. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

Yeah, I'm not even going to bother to argue anymore.

If they think the Batmobile driving up the side of a building, nipples on the batsuit and big neon signs in Gotham is a great thing... good for them.

15. Admiral James Kirk

I don't think anybody believes nipples on the batsuit are a good thing. :lol:

Neon signs in Gotham are a stylistic choice that I don't like but don't dislike enough ruin Forever for me.

As for the Batmobile riding a line up the side of a building...

Well shit... Did the rooftop Tumbler chase ruin Batman Begins for you? :p

Last edited: Jun 10, 2012
  16. Gojira

There is nothing to ever argue about to begin with. People have different tastes. Certainly you are not insinuating that your opinion on Batman & Robin is superior to those that liked the movie are you?

17. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

It's fine that a few people here love Batman Forever and Batman and Robin, doesn't mean I have to ever agree with them! They'll never change my mind. :rommie:

I get a little defensive whenever someone badmouths Batman Returns though. I really love that movie even with its faults.

18. Admiral James Kirk

I love Batman Returns. It's my favorite of the Burmacher series. However, favorably comparing Forever to Returns is not badmouthing Returns. It's complimenting Forever. :)

19. Gojira

I do understand. I like all 4 from that series some more than other. For me each of those movies have thier good and bad points.

20. RandyS

RandyS Vice Admiral Admiral

It's also just expressing an opinion.

I think we forget that fact sometimes, no matter what the discussion is.