30 Rock: Final Season (Discussion, spoilers, etc.)

Discussion in 'TV & Media' started by 1001001, Oct 3, 2012.

1. Dale Sams

Dale Sams Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Cleavage? Are you sure you're not thinking of someone else?

2. A beaker full of death

A beaker full of death Vice Admiral Admiral

^ Quite. Pretty much all the episodes I've seen feature her in something low cut enough for boobage (such as it is) to be on display.

3. Amaris

Amaris Fleet Admiral Admiral

Hey now, not every show can be as awesome and popular as LOST. Then again, J.J. Abrams is just too damned good to confine himself to television, you know?

4. FFunctionalData

FFunctionalData Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

cleavage?

what show were you watching?

5. Amaris

I'm not sure. In fact, it was a bit of a running joke that Liz Lemon was boyish.

6. the G-man

the G-man Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Actually BfoD is (partially) correct. While Liz was supposed to be boyish, Fey herself displayed a fair amount of (very fine IMO) cleavage in a number of episodes, often with Liz wearing a moderately low cut shirt under her blazer.

Basically, Liz/Fey was an example of that old TV trope where the "ugly" character is actually a knockout. Everyone talked about how plain she was but objectively she had a very pretty face and nice, curvy, body.

That being said, I think Fey's talents extended well beyond her looks.

7. Amaris

I'll give him partial credit that she does, indeed, have cleavage. The rest of his analysis is lacking, though. I mean, I understand that they can't all be Star Trek: The Animated Series, but it's still a good show.

8. boobatuba

boobatuba Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Totally disagree. Tina Fey is a fine actress, and I find that remark incredibly sexist.

9. J.T.B.

J.T.B. Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

:rolleyes:
    Hard for me to judge how clever she thought she was, her usual mode being self-deprecation. But she got seven years of critical acclaim, awards and network support for a show with fairly marginal ratings (plus writing a number-one selling book along the way), so I'd say she's pretty goddamn clever.

10. 1001001

1001001 Serial Canon Violator Moderator

Tina Fey is a national treasure.

Cute, smart, and talented.

:techman:

Didn't she score really high when she was the BOTW?

11. the G-man

I disagree with his assessment of her talent but I don't think it's necessarily sexist. There are a lot of people, male and female, in show biz who try to get by on their physical attributes. If BfoD thinks she is one of them, so be it.

12. boobatuba

Where's his evidence? As noted, she's received multiple awards and countless accolades for her work. It doesn't seem like she needs to rely on her physical attributes at all.

That's why I find such a comment sexist.

13. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

Boobs and cleavage aren't the first things that come to mind when thinking about Tina Fey or Liz Lemon. So I find the idea that her success is based on her looks to be odd.

14. Gov Kodos

Gov Kodos Admiral Admiral

Gov Kodos on Mohammed's Radio, WZVN Boston
    What else would a woman be valued for?

15. the G-man

I think I've made it clear I'm a fan of hers and I disagree with BfoD's view. She's a good writer and a good actress. At the same time, you can find many Glamour shots she's done over the years and a lot of her early Saturday Night Live hype was in the vein of "hot chick does comedy." Therefore while I find her enjoyable both for her looks and her talent, if somebody doesn't appreciate her talent I can see how they would think she got where she was on her looks. I don't see it as any more sexist then if somebody didn't like George Clooney and thought he got where he was based on his jaw line.

16. JoeZhang

JoeZhang Vice Admiral Admiral

What an odd sexually repressed argument you all seem to be having - the character seems to be wearing perfectly normal clothes in the link provided above.

I know you Americans have issues when it comes to women but really you'd think she was being spit-roasted live on screen every week.

17. FFunctionalData

that cleavage comment had to be a troll.

18. A beaker full of death

A beaker full of death Vice Admiral Admiral

Thank you. This is the sort of wardrobe I was referring to.

The evidence is linked above. However, I was overly flippant in saying her cleavage only got her so far. I did not mean it was the reason for her success. Rather, it was calculatedly eye-catching, especially in contrast with the persona she otherwise tried to project, and frankly, it was responsible for my watching that show a few times more than I might have otherwise.
    So think me sexist if you must. I am quite satisfied that I am not.

I'm sorry, who the fuck are you and when did you get here?

19. boobatuba

I didn't say that you're sexist. I said that your statement was. Big difference.

20. FFunctionalData

my name and join date are on display in my profile so all your questions are answered. By your response you seem very upset but to me your cleavage comment made no sense so either it was joke or you are easily aroused. :shrug: either way