20th Anniversary of the end of Micro Machines sets

Discussion in 'General Trek Discussion' started by t_smitts, Dec 1, 2016.

1. t_smitts

t_smitts Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

It just occurred to be that, besides this year being the 20th anniversary of "First Contact", it's also the same anniversary of the last of those fun little ships that Galoob churned out during the early-to-mid 90's. I think the last one was the Enterprise-E, a few months before the movie came out. Hard to believe it's been that long.

My attention's been more on the Eaglemoss collection in the last year or two, but I still have fond memories of those ships as a kid. I have all three box sets (yes, even the elusive third one), plus a second copy of each of the first two. Most of the ones I had a kid are pretty grungy (from being handled with my grubby little fingers, which is why I never handle an Eaglemoss ship without washing my hands) and quite a few are broken, but I still have them all out on display.

How about you?

Balok's Decoy likes this.
  2. Kevman7987

Kevman7987 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I also had all 3 sets and one of those special packs that the ships were all pewter colored with no decals. I have most of them still, only lost a few over the years (some of the shuttles, one of the E-Ds, and DS9 are gone). I was cleaner when I played with mine as they are less smudged. Some of them are kept together thanks to hot glue, but they all seem to have weathered the years a bit better than some ships in the show. I keep them in a little tackle box with their own compartments in my bedroom closet. I'm gonna pull them out for my nephews when they're a little bit older as I've been trying to give them an interest in Star Trek (and am succeeding).

3. fireproof78

fireproof78 Fleet Admiral Admiral

I was just going through mine recently. I have several Voyager shuttles that need nacelle repairs, and an ENT-A that needs some minor repair. Otherwise, they are in good shape and sit right next to my Star Wars ones.

4. Kor

Kor Fleet Admiral Admiral

I had several sets of these (now sitting in a bin somewhere), and in every set, at least one ship was warped or bent. :mad:

However, it's possible to straighten them out, as someone here has explained before. I think it was by dunking them in boiling water so they would soften for a bit.

Kor

5. uniderth

uniderth Commodore Commodore

All my Deep Space 9s are missing their docking tines or whatever the heck those are called. They all snapped off. I'm debating buying some more of these micromachines for Christmas. I wish they still made them.

I discovered a problem, that when I was younger I never thought I'd have. In my childhood I couldn't afford the toys that I wanted, be it Star Trek or Legos. Now that I'm older and have the money to buy them, they don't make the ones I want anymore. Now I they are vintage collectors items and they're still too expensive for me.

Just once I want to be able to walk into the toy isle. Lay my hands on that coveted toy and laugh at it's measly price tag, while I walk to the checkout.

When will I be able to afford the toys I want? When?! TELL ME!!!!

Last edited: Dec 2, 2016
  6. B.J.

B.J. Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I still have mine all piled in a shoebox-sized container, full to the brim with Star Trek and Star Wars Micromachines. My youngest likes to get them out and play with them, but I have a few set aside so they don't get damaged, including a couple on my desk at work.

Though one thing I always hated about them was the display stands. Especially with some of the nose-heavy ships, it's near impossible to get them to stand on their own without falling over. Has anyone tried replacing the stands with something else, like Litko's flight stands or something similar?

7. t_smitts

t_smitts Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I never found them particularly nose-heavy (certainly not compared to some of the Eaglemoss ships, where the saucer is pretty much always metal) but in the rare case where that was a problem (such as the saucer-separating Enterprise-D), you can just put it on the stand backwards. Actually the one I found most prone to falling over (and still do) was the top-heavy Spacedock.