2023 Emmy Nominations

Not trying to be rude, but did people really expect Picard to get a bunch of Emmy nominations? It's just not that kind of a show in general. I am surprised it did worse in the tech this year than the previous years but I guess that's what happens when you get rid of all the people getting good notices and replace them with your own crew.

They threw away their best shot at an acting nomination by not even submitting Michelle Forbes in guest actress. Amanda Plummer, Todd Stashwick, and Marina Sirtis were hanging around the lower back end of bookies predictions and other guessing sites and maybe could have made a run at it if the show had promoted them. I think Plummer definitely could have at least. The show instead went all in on McFadden, Frakes, and Stewart, who were never happening in the first place. Baffling all around. People shouldn't get their hopes up by listening to pundits who basically predict what they like the best.

Last edited:
Genre shows were nominated. SW of course is the outlier: a space show with cachet. Picard was too much space opera to warrant serious consideration, plus it wasn't quite up to snuff anyway.

They threw away their best shot at an acting nomination by not even submitting Michelle Forbes in guest actress. Amanda Plummer, Todd Stashwick, and Marina Sirtis were hanging around the lower back end of bookies predictions and other guessing sites and maybe could have made a run at it if the show had promoted them. I think Plummer definitely could have at least. The show instead went all in on McFadden, Frakes, and Stewart, who were never happening in the first place. Baffling all around.
Eh, Plummer's character was a fun scene chewer, but I don't think her performance was all that great. I'd say Stashwick did the best job amongst the S3 actors.

Eh, Plummer's character was a fun scene chewer, but I don't think her performance was all that great. I'd say Stashwick did the best job amongst the S3 actors.

Oh I wouldn't have voted for her either. I'm just saying on name recognition and her being a previous winner a few times that she probably could have gotten some traction if they'd bothered to promote her.

The show instead went all in on McFadden, Frakes, and Stewart, who were never happening in the first place. Baffling all around. People shouldn't get their hopes up by listening to pundits who basically predict what they like the best.

Exactly. There's no "Warm Glow of Nostalgia" category, and without that filter it's hard to see any particular standouts in this season.

The notion of McFadden in particular being among the best actresses on television is very difficult for me to comprehend.

Exactly. There's no "Warm Glow of Nostalgia" category, and without that filter it's hard to see any particular standouts in this season.

The notion of McFadden in particular being among the best actresses on television is very difficult for me to comprehend.
Star Wars says hello.

Not trying to be rude, but did people really expect Picard to get a bunch of Emmy nominations?

Of course not. The competition is stiff and there are way too many good shows.

The art and production aspects of Trek are frequently good enough to get noms for such things (like, oh, make-up). But it's not generally at the same level in terms of writing as the best dramas on TV, and if the writing isn't strong it's hard for the actors to excel relative to the competition.

PIC III was a long way from being Trek's best foot forward. They received fewer noms than season one or two.

There are always the <chuckle> Saturns...

I think Burton could have gotten a guest nomination, he was damn good.

I’m guessing they pushed Stewart because..well…he’s Sir Patrick Stewart. Name recognition and all that. Maybe as a token “lifetime achievement” deal.

But Picard isn’t as “prestige” as the HBO Dramas. Which is ok. They don’t need nominations to validate anything.

Of course not. The competition is stiff and there are way too many good shows.

The art and production aspects of Trek are frequently good enough to get noms for such things (like, oh, make-up). But it's not generally at the same level in terms of writing as the best dramas on TV, and if the writing isn't strong it's hard for the actors to excel relative to the competition.

PIC III was a long way from being Trek's best foot forward. They received fewer noms than season one or two.

There are always the <chuckle> Saturns...
Is there a restriction on how good NuTrek writing can be?

Back