2023: 60th Anniversary speculation

Discussion in 'Doctor Who' started by Timelord Victorious, Sep 26, 2019.

1. Timelord Victorious

Timelord Victorious Vice Admiral Admiral

So I guess, the online speculations have started.

David Tennant was recently asked about his involvement in a possible anniversary multi Doctor special.
    The answer was what can be expected at this point.

I am guessing we will be on the 14th Doctor by then.
    Although it’s possible that Jodie is still the current Doctor.
    Could the anniversary be her regeneration maybe?
    Could we expect a team up with the 8th Doctor, finally seeing him again in a full length episode on screen?

2. starsuperion

starsuperion Commodore Commodore

Hmmm....
    Interesting.
    "The more I speculate, the more I tend to get myself in trouble." So, I wonder if he does have some tidbits of information, and speculating could reveal aspects he may be aware of. I'm sure he or his agent has insiders. It will be interesting to see how the rest of the previous cast give their replies on the 60th.

SolarisOne likes this.
  3. The Nth Doctor

The Nth Doctor Infinite Possibilities... Premium Member

Yeah, you're definitely reading way too much into it, which was Tennant's point.

It's far too early to start speculating about the 60th anniversary and whether there will actually be a special to go along with it.

4. Mr Awe

Mr Awe Vice Admiral Admiral

Yeah, it's way too early to speculate. I guarantee you that no one involved in the production is thinking about it. Shoot, I'm not convinced that DW will even be on the air at that point. Perhaps the 60th would be a chance to bring it back. Who knows!

Allyn Gibson likes this.
  5. Timelord Victorious

Yeah. Still kinda cool to think that we are now closer to the 60th than the 50th anniversary. :)

publiusr likes this.
  6. Professor Zoom

Professor Zoom Admiral Admiral

If Who is still in production, I can't see why they wouldn't do something for the anniversary.
    IF being the important part of that sentence.

7. SolarisOne

SolarisOne Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Like others have said it's far too early to speculate if nuWho will even be in production. The show seems to be fighting franchise fatigue right now.

XCV330 likes this.
  8. Timelord Victorious

Although even if they are no longer in regular production I could see them doing a big one-off special for it anyway.

Relayer1 likes this.
  9. kirk55555

kirk55555 Vice Admiral Admiral

If Chibnail is still in charge, I'm assuming he'll be in the middle of a 5 year hiatus because the guy desperately wants Doctor Who to come out on a schedule that is pathetic even by the usually lethargic schedule of UK TV shows.

Also, only the current Doctor (and if we're at the 14th, maybe Jodie) would show up, because Chibnail hates Doctor Who and refuses to acknowledge anything in the franchise that isn't his bland, boring shit outside of the screwdriver, TARDIS and one Dalek. Throw in maybe a single reference to an event that happened before the 13th Doctor debuted (maybe The Doctor mentions having a robot dog at one point), and you get Chibnail's 60th Anniversary.

Hopefully by 2023 Chibnail has gotten bored of screwing over Doctor Who and has gone back to making mediocre British Mysteries that he can continue to make at the rate of about 10 episodes every 2-5 years, and we can get a real anniversary, although its really too early to be talking about that right now.

10. The Nth Doctor

11. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

That must be why we're getting Judoon and Cybermen in the new season.

12. diankra

diankra Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

One thing you can be sure of is that Chibnall doesn't hate Who; he's a fan, and fans can have excessively focused ideas about what 'their' show should be like.

rocketdave, XCV330, ClayinCA and 4 others like this.
  13. starsuperion

I suppose that depends then doesn't it? I mean did Chibs request the Judoon and Cybers, or was it the Beeb, not so politely requesting it on behalf of the licensees? One seems probable, the other seems likely.

Qonundrum likes this.
  14. The Nth Doctor

:rolleyes:

Or you could accept the situation at face value and that Chibnall actually likes the characters.

I know, crazy thought.

15. kirk55555

kirk55555 Vice Admiral Admiral

Well, after one season of Chibnail doing whatever he wants, the BBC probably wants some actual Doctor Who stuff in the TV show its paying for. He got to do a season of what was basically his own original Sci-Fi show, now the BBC wants Doctor Who back on the air.

If he liked them, he would have used them, and not done an entire season (the X-Mas/New Year's Special doesn't count as part of the season) without really any characters or concepts from the franchise outside of The Doctor, sonic screwdriver and the TARDIS (and he barely used the TARDIS).

Instead we got a bunch of crap aliens/monsters that probably aren't even remembered by people that liked the season, some really clueless/tateless historical stuff (The Doctor should never have been anywhere near the Civil Rights era events, there is just some stuff that Doctor Who shouldn't touch when it comes to historical events), and stuff that was just generally bland, forgettable and boring at best. We also learned that some writer really hates Amazon.com but doesn't quite have Robert Holmes' ability to make an interesting story lampooning something they dislike. The only partially interesting thing in the entire season was the teeth alien, and even they were pretty lame after seeing them for a few minutes.

Chibnail is and always has been a mediocre writer, but he's also completely incapable of putting his mediocre work out at a reasonable pace even by British TV standards (which are already probably the slowest pace of any big country's TV production that I've seen). The fact that he actively seems to loathe the franchise is just the cherry on top.

Qonundrum likes this.
  16. The Nth Doctor

Gods forbid the guy wanted to do a whole season with all new ideas. :rolleyes:

He said that was his intention upfront so no one should've been surprised by that. Whether those ideas worked for you is a matter taste, not an inherently bad idea.

Last edited: Sep 29, 2019
  17. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

I could maybe see that with the Cybermen (though I don't think it's the case) but the Judoon? I don't really see what's so special about them that the BBC would come down on Chibnall and say "yo Chris, you're going to have Judoon on Doctor Who this season or you're cleaning out your office."

Even if it was a case of telling him to bring back a new series alien and allowing him to choose which one, I should think the Weeping Angels are the go-to for an emergency ratings boost ploy. They are a lot more popular and recognizable among the casual "Not We" fans than the Judoon.

No, if Chibnall's bringing the Judoon in, it's because he wants to, not because he's being forced to.

18. Timelord Victorious

It’s amazing how everyone who produces something Kirk55555 doesn’t like, seem to hate their own product and are only doing it to actively destroy it.. every single time without fail.

rocketdave, Jax, XCV330 and 4 others like this.
  19. Professor Zoom

Professor Zoom Admiral Admiral

Because, for some reason, producers are forced to work on a show they hate and their bosses would allow them to actively destroy a successful show... because that's how it works in TV.

lol.

20. starsuperion

The Jadoon are different from some normal looking human in trousers and a jumper and as toys they would appeal to kids. In addition there's a nostalgia factor because people associate the Jadoon with Tenant's run. If the BBC said, we need more toys already molded and ready to print, but need a TV show tie in. Then yes, I can see them being brought back in that way. Ratings schmatings, at this point. After season 11, I'm going to be surprised if Season 12 does better now on a more competitive night then Sunday. I doubt the introduction of classic or Older New Who era aliens and villains is solely for ratings. I'm more inclined to say both, ratings if they can get them, and definitely licensee requests for producing merchandise.