2020 titles announced

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by GaryH, Aug 1, 2019.

1. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

Stephen Collins would get no money from a book about Will Decker.

I think that's a bad thing to do, because no movie is the work of just one person. There are hundreds of people who work on any given movie and earn income from its sale and rental, and it's unfair to penalize all of them just because you object to one of their colleagues. It's one thing to do that with a novel, because the author is the primary beneficiary of that (though the publisher would get a cut too). But for a movie, that's hurting a lot of innocent people to penalize just one.

2. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I never really thought about it that way, but it is a good point.

3. KRAD

KRAD Keith R.A. DeCandido Admiral

Just in general, keep in mind that a lot of large publishers are delaying release of books because of COVID19-related issues with printing and warehousing and distribution. (It's affecting smaller publishers less because most sales come from eBooks, which are, of course, unaffected.)

4. Sci

Sci Fleet Admiral Admiral

Personally, I'm okay with penalizing people who willingly worked with child molesters even if they are not themselves child molesters.

5. Desert Kris

Desert Kris Captain Captain

None of us have any way of knowing if most or even all the other contributors who worked on TMP knew absolutely every sin perpetrated by one actor (to say nothing of any of the other contributors). You wish to judge them by what they might not even have known, until decades later?

Do you want to blame Alan Dean Foster, Harold Livingston, and Gene Roddenberry, too, even though they wouldn't have had a say in casting actors to play characters in their story?

If you're determined to write off TMP no matter what, by all means do what you want. Do we write of the production design artists, too? If it weren't for TMP we wouldn't have the beautiful refitted Enterprise design. So I guess we have to reject that incarnation of the Enterprise, too, because it's guilty by association. :shrug:

Last edited: Apr 28, 2020
    BillJ and DGCatAniSiri like this.
  6. Daddy Todd

Daddy Todd Commodore Commodore

Kristine Kathryn Rusch (former Trek novelist in collaboration with Dean Wesley Smith and, in one case, Smith and Nina Kiriki Hoffman) has a sobering blog post about what COVID-19 is doing to the traditional publishing world. Hat tip to File 770 for making me aware of this.

https://kriswrites.com/2020/04/22/business-musings-the-trainwreck/

7. David cgc

David cgc Admiral Premium Member

Sci was responding to a side discussion of Roman Polanski and Woody Allen movies, whose issues have been public for many years while they've continued to make films, and attract people to work with them.

I miss nested quotes.

8. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Yeah, I don't think Stephen Collins is a fair counterpoint since nobody knew what he was doing at the time. But what Roman Polansky and Woody Allen did has been public knowledge for decades at this point, and to be honest, I'm pretty shocked that they have been able to find who are actually willing. If I ever ended up working in Hollywood, I sure as hell wouldn't work with them.

Sci and Daddy Todd like this.
  9. Desert Kris

Desert Kris Captain Captain

Oh, I see; thank you for correcting my misunderstanding.

My apologies, @Sci .

10. Sci

Sci Fleet Admiral Admiral

No worries. And I apologize -- I should have nested some quotes so that it would be clearer what I was referring to.

I'm not out to boycott TMP myself. As you say, no one could have known Collins was a pedophile.

But with Woody Allen and Roman Polanksi? I have no idea how anyone watches a movie like Manhattan in the 1970s and thinks to themselves, "I will work with Woody Allen after seeing that movie," let alone how anyone continued to work with him after the Farrow allegations, or how anyone sees Polanski flee the United States and thinks, "Good guy; I'll work with him."

I understand that both of these guys have been hugely influential on the evolution of cinema as an art form, and I'm not saying no one should see their movies. But I for one have no qualms about pirating any films they made after it's clear everyone should have known they were sexual predators.

11. Enterprise1701

Enterprise1701 Commodore Commodore

The cover for To Lose the Earth is up!
    [​IMG]

Jarvisimo, Kilana2 and Jinn like this.
  12. Jinn

Jinn Mistress of the Chaotic Energies Rear Admiral

I do like the colors! Does anyone know which ship the one under the "O" from "Voyager" is?

Kilana2 likes this.
  13. Brefugee

Brefugee No longer living the Irish dream. Premium Member

I take it you missed the thread I created to highlight this image then. I even checked to see if it had been posted already which, it hadn't.

14. Enterprise1701

Enterprise1701 Commodore Commodore

Oops. When I checked, your thread was not yet up, but I wound up spending too much time revising my post code.

I myself used to create dedicated pre-release threads for novels, but I gave up in the face of declining activity on the forum in favour of utilising each year's mega-thread.

15. thribs

thribs Vice Admiral Admiral

She lost Earth again? She’s very careless Janeway.

GaryH, ATimson and F. King Daniel like this.
  16. hbquikcomjamesl

hbquikcomjamesl Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Conceivably, if we required everybody in the entertainment industry to be absolutely free from scandal, about all we'd be left with would be . . . reruns of Mister Rogers' Neighborhood.

As to Woody Allen, well, I began to lose confidence in the Oscars (and lost what little interest I ever had in Woody Allen) when the first SW movie got passed over in favor of a movie by Woody Allen and his girlfriend, about Woody Allen and his girlfriend, starring Woody Allen and his girlfriend as Woody Allen and his girlfriend. (What a stretch that had to be for the actors; forget about reacting to imaginary hostile spacecraft "to be added in post.")

Last edited: May 11, 2020
  17. Reanok

Reanok Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I really like the artwork for the new Voyager novel. I've been loking forward to reading this book and see how they wrap up the story of what happened with the Geneolen. And the dangerous alien technology from the planet they explored in the previous Voyager book.

18. Jarvisimo

Jarvisimo Captain Captain

We never got that remodelled Voyager on a cover :(

19. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

Germany did, although it wasn't Mark Raidmaker's unfinished design.

20. Jinn

Jinn Mistress of the Chaotic Energies Rear Admiral

It was cool the first time, but then CBS mandated it be put on every cover, so now the Voyager covers all look very... uniform. Too uniform, even for me, and I'm a German CrossCult fan.[​IMG]