2019 Releases

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by Jarrod, Feb 15, 2018.

1. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I'm a bit surprised we don't appear to be getting any Kelvinverse novels in this first batch of new books. Once they announced they could use Kelvinverse material, I had assumed that would be one of the first things we'd get once the books stated back up.
    Maybe later this year or next.
    If we can't get any continuous ongoing series in the Prime Universe, then maybe they could do a Kelinverse series since it looks like the movies are probably over.

2. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

It is ironic given negotiating the rights to the Kelvin Timeline was one of the factors that prolonged the talks to the point of there not being any new Trek novels for 2018. But as the focus seems to be on tie-ins for the new shows or old chestnuts guaranteed to bring in money, like TOS 5YM, I'd say there probably isn't any room to fit in Kelvin Timeline novels anyway.

3. DGCatAniSiri

DGCatAniSiri Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I’d figure that the breakdown in negotiations for a fourth AOS Trek, seemingly ending that branch of the franchise for the foreseeable future, is why there’s no effort to capitalize on gaining those rights. Just as they get it, there’s no longer the source content continuing, so, even though they have the rights, they’re not rushing to use them.

4. David Weller

David Weller Commander Red Shirt

AIUI, at least two authors used aspects from their cancelled Kelvin novels in novels that were published.

And, also, didn’t Into Darkness contradict some of the cancelled novels?

5. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

That's my understanding, yes.

6. Jinn

Jinn Mistress of the Chaotic Energies Rear Admiral

Soooo... If there won't be any new Kelvin movies.... What are the chances of a Kelvin timeline relaunch?

7. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

They're probably waiting to see what shape Tarantino Trek takes (although it probably won't happen at all) before making future plans.

I'm surprised we're still getting 24th century novels, considering the high likelihood the post-Nemesis novelverse going to get Thanos-snapped out of existence by the year's end.

8. StefanM

StefanM Commander Red Shirt

Thanks for the link.
    One thing that really surprised me:
    "The struggle within" for 9,67 $ for the kindle version. Seems to be very expensive for a 81-pages-story.
    The prices in Germany for these short novellas (like CoE) are usually 2,99 €.

9. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

Every work of science fiction gets rendered obsolete by the passage of time and science eventually. It's no reason not to tell the stories you want to tell. You may want them to feel "real," but ultimately they're still make-believe. If you let fear of future obsolescence shut down your efforts, then you'd never be able to write anything.

Turtletrekker and DGCatAniSiri like this.
  10. F. King Daniel

My point was that if they're holding off on Kelvinverse novels until they know what shape the next movie will take, it's surpring they're not taking a similar "wait and see" stance for 24th century lit.

11. Christopher

But that opinion is based on an invalid premise. Your assumption about their reasons for not having Kelvin novels is pure guesswork, so you can't legitimately stipulate it as an axiom. Heck, it doesn't even make sense as a guess. If continuity were the only consideration, they could just do prequels like DSC is doing. There's room for 3 years' worth of missions between Into Darkness and Beyond.

We never know what shape upcoming Trek productions will take. During the TNG-through-ENT era, it was quite routine for novels to be contradicted by new episodes not long after they were published, sometimes even before. That didn't stop them from doing novels anyway. All we can do, all we've ever done, is to keep the stories consistent with the canon as we know it at the time.

After all, this is a business. Pocket publishes Trek novels to make money. As long as they have a license to publish TNG fiction, they will publish TNG fiction. As long as it sells when it comes out, it doesn't matter if it gets contradicted 6 months later. Heck, lots of books still sell copies long after they get contradicted, because lots of readers don't care about continuity as long as they get an entertaining story.

OCD Geek and Greg Cox like this.
  12. F. King Daniel

Hence the qualifier "If".

13. Christopher

But your "it's surprising" implied that you accepted the "if" as valid. Otherwise you'd have no reason to be surprised.

14. Laura Cynthia Chambers

Laura Cynthia Chambers Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Heck, they could even do some more Kelvin-verse Starfleet Academy novels to go with the 4 they put out already. I'd read them.

15. Brefugee

Brefugee No longer living the Irish dream. Premium Member

But would you buy it and and how many others would? It needs to make business sense and I doubt doing more Kelvin-Verse Starfleet Academy would tick that box.

16. tomswift2002

tomswift2002 Commodore Commodore

Simon & Schuster already had a 5th novel in the pipeline (and were soliciting it) back when the series was being put out. The series seemed to have been cancelled back then due to Bad Robot's editiorial management (the last book The Assassination Game was delayed by nearly a year because Bad Robot wanted so many changes because the book was very similar to Star Trek Into Darkness).

TheAlmanac likes this.
  17. hbquikcomjamesl

hbquikcomjamesl Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Sometimes even before they're published. Jules Verne was no idiot; I'm sure he knew that being shot out of even a 900 foot Rodman gun at escape velocity would turn a human being into a brown stain. But when From The Earth to the Moon was first published, rockets had neither the range nor the payload capacity of cannons, Tsiolkovsky (the first to conceive of multistage rockets, and one of the first to conceive of liquid-fueled rockets) was an 8-year-old kid, and Goddard (the first to successfully build and launch a liquid-fueled rocket) would not be born for nearly another two decades. And so a 900-foot canon was much easier for readers of that era to wrap their minds around than a spacecraft perched atop a 300 foot, three-stage rocket whose five first-stage engines were 19 feet tall, with nozzle bells flaring out to over 12 feet. (Not to mention giving Verne an opportunity to lampoon the "hawkish gun-freak" mentality.)

18. Leto_II

Leto_II Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Just got a text from Barnes & Noble/UPS saying that Greg's The Antares Maelstrom has shipped, and should be here by early next week.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2019
    Greg Cox likes this.
  19. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

I got my author copies on Wednesday and just got a report of it being sighted in the wild.

Oz Trekkie and Leto_II like this.
  20. David Weller

David Weller Commander Red Shirt

I got an email yesterday that my copy had been dispatched.

I’m in the UK so is my supplier.

Greg Cox likes this.