2011 MLB Season Discussion

Discussion in 'Sports and Fitness' started by tomalak301, Mar 31, 2011.

1. Ar-Pharazon

Ar-Pharazon Admiral Premium Member

2. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

...and Pujols ties the record for most HRs in a world series game (Babe Ruth in 1926 and 1928, Reggie Jackson in 1977). :techman:

3. SmoothieX

SmoothieX Vice Admiral Admiral

What a dud of a game...

4. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

I hate to say this but I actually like this one bit that Tim McCarver said:

"I get the feeling that this game is gonna resemble a rodeo more than a ballgame, before we're through". :guffaw:

5. SmoothieX

Rams beat the Cowboys by 3 field goals.

6. Skywalker

Skywalker Admiral Admiral

Pujols just made the entire Texas Rangers roster feel like Brad Lidge.

7. Pegaritaville

Pegaritaville Vice Admiral Admiral

Kind of a dud of a series. Maybe it's because I don't like or dislike either team, but I have little interest this year.

8. tomalak301

tomalak301 Fleet Admiral Admiral

I kind of hope that's what happens today.

Seriously, great game by Pujol's. I wonder why St. Louis hasn't signed him already. Would hate to lose a player who can do that.

9. Caretaker

Caretaker Commodore Premium Member

Not a dud to me. I like seeing the underdogs win - and St. Louis was definitely the underdog this year, particularly in the latter half of the season. I dislike Texas (mostly for giving us (politicall)y George W. Bush and Rick Perry). And I grew up in the St. Louis area, so - seeing the Cardinals win a championship against a Texas team is good. And seeing Pujols and the Cards break a few records? Also very good.

10. Alidar Jarok

Alidar Jarok Everything in moderation but moderation Moderator

Honestly, the safe money in the playoffs is always the hot team. St. Louis barely scraped in, but they had to do so by being ridiculously hot.

11. Alidar Jarok

Alidar Jarok Everything in moderation but moderation Moderator

Honestly, the safe money in the playoffs is always the hot team. St. Louis barely scraped in, but they had to do so by being ridiculously hot.

12. SmoothieX

The World Series just isn't what it used to be. I'm sure that Saints-Colts 62-7 beatdown killed it in the ratings by a similar margin.

Hell, I was watched at 48-7 when the WS game was only 1-0 in the middle innings.

13. 1001001

1001001 Serial Canon Violator Moderator

Now that Lackey needs to have "Tommy John" surgery, and will miss all of next season, he'll most likely stay in Boston and make league-minimum...

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/blog/bi...=AkQUwvH4tUd4GVrSI15G.lQRvLYF?urn=mlb-wp25437

As an Angels fan, I will always appreciate what he did for us. It's a shame that he has gone so far off the rails....

14. Timby

Timby o yea just like that Administrator

'12 is washed, but his contract only allows the Sox to kick him down to league minimum in 2015, the final year of the deal. They'll still be paying him his full salary in 2013 and 2014.

15. 1001001

1001001 Serial Canon Violator Moderator

The story here says:

But now that he needs elbow surgery, the Red Sox could keep Lackey around for an additional season if they so choose, and at a bargain price. His contract includes a clause that triggers a club option for the league minimum salary if Lackey required surgery during the five years of the deal.

It's kind of confusing the way it's worded.

I guess now the Sox are double-screwed.

16. Dorian Thompson

Dorian Thompson Admiral Admiral

I'LL. BE. DAMNED. :eek:

They live. 11 innings and the Cardinals live. :)

17. CaptJimboJones

CaptJimboJones Vice Admiral Admiral

Wow! WHAT a game :) This longtime Cardinal fan and native St. Louisan is VERY happy.:techman:

18. Skywalker

Skywalker Admiral Admiral

That was a hell of a game. It's gonna be interesting to see how the Rangers respond tomorrow night. They were one strike away from a championship twice.

19. SmoothieX

Due to the rainout bumping things back a day, Game 7 will be on a Friday. MLB has to love this as more people will be able to watch.

I love the stories coming out about fans that left in the 7th inning with the Cards down by 3. That's not an insurmountable lead. Plus if I payed playoff prices for tickets, I'd watch the whole thing regardless. Seriously, it's the World Series, and even if your team loses you get to see a team win it all. How many times in your life can you say you've seen that in person.

I also hope MLB comes to its senses and leaves the playoffs alone.

20. Timby

Timby o yea just like that Administrator

Yeah, I'm not sure why Yahoo! wrote it that way. The club option for league minimum is for 2015 -- he signed a five-year contract after 2009, and the option is for a sixth year.