2001: A Space Odyssey

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Sentience, Jul 7, 2021.

1. diankra

diankra Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The original story is called The Sentinel.

2. CorporalCaptain

CorporalCaptain Fleet Admiral Admiral

Yeah, I'm not going to argue against what you're saying, but I have a couple of observations.

1) In the film, the the TMA-1 Monolith sends the signal to Jupiter only after Floyd touches it. I think one definite possibility is that direct human contact is what triggers it, not simply, say, exposure to sunlight.

2) Complicating that interpretation, it would appear that the Sun is close to coming up at the TMA-1 base. You can see that the day/night terminator is very close to the installation when the moon bus lands, although when the bus lands the Monolith is still definitely in the dark. Then after it sends the signal there is a jump in time showing the Sun over the Monolith with the Earth, echoing a similar scene during the Dawn of Man segment with Sun and Moon, which was at dawn, interestingly giving "The Dawn of Man" a double meaning.

All this does not prove but IMO it suggests that that the Sun is coming up when the moon bus lands. Even though direct sunlight does not AFAIK strike the TMA-1 Monolith, one could argue that somehow, maybe even just because of the timing, it's not Floyd touching it but rather it being exposed near the time of sunrise that triggers the signal.

3. scotpens

scotpens Professional Geek Premium Member

Astronauts enter pit, examine artifact, which emits electronic sound when it is hit fully by sun for first time. (It had been dug up during 14-day lunar night.) It was coincidental that sound was emitted at moment of photography scene. Monolith was sun-powered-triggered device programmed to send to Jupiter message that it had been uncovered. There was no sound on Moon; astronauts heard it in their radio receivers.
    (From a photo caption in Jerome Agel's The Making of Kubrick's 2001)

4. CorporalCaptain

CorporalCaptain Fleet Admiral Admiral

Thanks.

While I suspected that that could have been intended or even scripted for the film, that's not what made it to be shown on screen.

The bus landing:
    https://i0.wp.com/caps.pictures/196/8-space-odyssey/full/2001-space-movie-screencaps.com-4784.jpg

It's still too early before the sun makes it in; the Monolith is well below ground level even:
    https://i0.wp.com/caps.pictures/196/8-space-odyssey/full/2001-space-movie-screencaps.com-5138.jpg

Still no sun down in there:
    https://i2.wp.com/caps.pictures/196/8-space-odyssey/full/2001-space-movie-screencaps.com-5336.jpg

Obviously later (a week, maybe?):
    https://i2.wp.com/caps.pictures/196/8-space-odyssey/full/2001-space-movie-screencaps.com-5355.jpg

5. scotpens

scotpens Professional Geek Premium Member

6. theenglish

theenglish Vice Admiral Admiral

House cats are barely tame--I firmly believe that, unlike dogs which are entirely domesticated--cats are wild animals by nature. I wouldn't want to be around anything larger than a house cat.

publiusr likes this.
  7. Redfern

Redfern Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Ooh...! Good points! I concede to them. Maybe it's a combination of your ideas and @scotpens. Either way, it makes the trigger a bit more foolproof than my original thoughts.

8. Mojochi

Mojochi Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Hey, thanks @Redfern & everybody. That's some good insight. I think I might actually like Kubrick's ambiguity more

9. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

I'm sorry for the bump, but I had a thought:

In 2010, the crew are all using Soviet equipment (the suits and pods) aboard a Soviet spaceship. Russian technology is very clunky, crudely built, lots of hard lines, built only for function and not form. That's why the Leonov's pod, for example, looks like something out of a horror movie - it's not designed among clean, efficient, aesthetically pleasing lines like American technology (i.e. the Discovery and its pods). So that's why the suits in 2010 are all so ugly - they're what came with the Leonov.

It's also why the Leonov's control room is so massive with all of those endless rows of colored lights and switches. The inside of Soviet spacecraft is just as inefficient as the outside!

Last edited: Apr 24, 2023
    Galileo7 likes this.
  10. David cgc

David cgc Admiral Premium Member

Of course, that doesn't explain why the U.S. went from the sleek Discovery-style spacesuits to real-world Space Shuttle-era suits.

Redfern and Galileo7 like this.
  11. Mr. Laser Beam

You mean in 2010? Aren't they ALL wearing suits from the Leonov (even Floyd, Curnow and Chandra)?

I don't see the Russians allowing the American crewmen to bring their own spacesuits...

12. David cgc

David cgc Admiral Premium Member

The Americans and Soviets are both wearing more-or-less contemporary-looking (to 1984) space suits from their respective countries. It's a bit off that they'd let the Americans bring their own suits (they'd need a separate set of tools, spare parts, air filters or other consumables) rather than just using Soviet-issue suits, but it also doesn't make sense that that the 2010s-era USSR would have two very distinct types of suits, one of which looked like an old American suit.

Galileo7 likes this.
  13. Mr. Laser Beam

Maybe Peter Hyams just thought it would be too distracting to have American and Soviet crewmen wear vastly different styles of spacesuits. :shrug:

14. Galileo7

Galileo7 Commodore Commodore

Peter Hyams should have had Scheider, Lithgow and Balaban wearing the iconic spacesuit design that we do see Dullea wearing.:beer:

publiusr, Skipper and David cgc like this.
  15. FPAlpha

FPAlpha Vice Admiral Premium Member

If you want to argue from a realistic point of view - it's also impractical to have two different technologies on board, with separate replacement parts and specialized tools. It's not logical to have to train the crews for both suit styles, i.e. maintenance and usage when space and time are at a premium with these starships.

Would have been better to limit the mission to one technological base that is consistent throughout and as the Americans were guests onboard the Leonov they were in no position to make demands. I'm sure they inspected the russian technology and found it to be sufficient even if they thought theirs was better.

Allyn Gibson likes this.
  16. Silvercrest

Silvercrest Vice Admiral Admiral

It blew my mind when someone pointed out that the Moon/TMA-1 sequence still falls under "The Dawn of Man" ... you don't get a new section title until after that. It's ALL the Dawn of Man. We start off with hominids throwing their toys up in the air and poking around a monolith trying to figure out what it is. Four million years later, a match cut shows that we're still throwing our toys up in the air and poking around a monolith.

Does that mean your sun/moon/dawn thing has a triple meaning? Or still a double? Or just one meaning after all?

CorporalCaptain likes this.
  17. Silvercrest

Fair enough, but it adds a lot more for me when looked at the other way. Four million years ago the monolith prods Moon-watcher and the others into understanding tool use ... and by 2001, all we've achieved is to make bigger and fancier tools, some of which can destroy us. Q would be facepalming if he watched this movie.

Dave Bowman has to resolve his personal situation without the use of any fancy tools at all, showing the monolith-folks (and Q) that we may FINALLY be ready to progress beyond the Dawn of Man — that is, learn about something more than tool use. Notably, once he does, he's still shown as a child. But presumably he can begin to mature.

I didn't come to any of these conclusions; read them all elsewhere. But the whole movie took on new meaning after that.

18. Set Harth

Set Harth Vice Admiral Admiral

I mean, unless you count the space pod.

19. Silvercrest

Right, the thing he has to leave behind before he can help himself.

Maybe it isn't right to say "without the use of any tools", but he does have to leave them behind before confronting HAL with his bare hands. And HAL is the biggest tool of all. So to speak. :hugegrin::hugegrin::hugegrin:

20. Set Harth

Set Harth Vice Admiral Admiral

He used a tool, but I don't suppose you would consider it a "fancy" one.