12 ANGRY MEN (1957)

Discussion in 'TV & Media' started by Foxhot, Jul 12, 2019.

1. Foxhot

Foxhot Commodore Commodore

I've no doubt seen this film a good 25 times....but always on video. Today I saw it in a movie theater and noticed something I never could pick up on video. Those of you with large home screens may have.....

The very last shot is a long shot with dispersing crowds. Lee J. Cobb, the final voter for ''guilty,'' walks slowly on the left in the final shot. On all the videos I've seen, he might as well have been an insect.

This post is for 12 ANGRY MEN fans who may not be aware of this.

PS: As great as the overall cast was, I'm not totally sold on Robert Webber's acting as Juror 12. DIRTY DOZEN and 12 ANGRY are both in my top 25, though I tend to forget his presence compared with other principals. In 12 ANGRY 's case, his ad-man character was shallow by design, and his main contribution was flip-flopping between ''guilty'' and ''not guilty'' while changing is vote three times. Not a bad performance necessarily, though the others mostly have one or more big moments each.

Haggis and tatties likes this.
  2. Spot's Meow

Spot's Meow Vice Admiral Premium Member

I really love this movie. It's been some time since I last saw it, I'll have to give it another watch soon. I first saw it when I was a child, and even then I found it fascinating. The only thing that bothered me was that there were no women on the jury. I didn't understand why as a child. Definitely a product of its time.

Haggis and tatties and Admiral2 like this.
  3. Haggis and tatties

Haggis and tatties Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

This movie is right up there with CK, Bad day a Black rock, Sweet smell of success, and Moby Dick....to name just a few classics off the top of my head.

Admiral2 likes this.
  4. publiusr

publiusr Vice Admiral Admiral

This would be my favorite movie of all time, ahead of Maltese Falcon and Judgment at Nuremberg

5. Foxhot

Foxhot Commodore Commodore

It's my 7th. It was in my top 6 until OZ, GODFATHER and EXORCIST worked their way up.