10 comic books that should be TV series

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Temis the Vorta, Aug 15, 2009.

1. Temis the Vorta

Temis the Vorta Fleet Admiral Admiral

TWOP's 10 comic books that should be TV series.

Agree? Disagree? Have ideas of your own?

I vote for Preacher with Ben Browder, post-Lost Josh Holloway, or for some whiplash inducing casting-against-type, Lee Pace; and Transmetropolitan with Alan Tudyk.

2. ElScoob

ElScoob Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I definitely agree about Preacher, though I have no solid thoughts on casting. As the article suggests, the story would be far better served in a serialized format than by a feature-length film (or even a series thereof). I thought that doing it as a series at HBO was absolutely perfect, and I really wish that things would go that way instead of the theatrical route.

--g

3. Icemizer

Icemizer Commodore Commodore

The Question would work as a tv series. No thoughts on casting for this one.

4. CaptainCanada

CaptainCanada Admiral Admiral

Among the capes (though he doesn't have one), Daredevil is perfect for TV: not just a superhero show but, TV's bread and butter, a legal drama; a cast of antagonists fairly easy to render in a realistic setting (Kingpin, Bullseye (and Lady B), Elektra, the Owl, the Hand, Gladiator), and, generally, action that doesn't stretch a TV budget.

5. Cicero

Cicero Admiral Admiral

Choosing five:
    • Planetary (long-format miniseries; perhaps the best non-all ages comic ever produced)
    • Birds of Prey (if adapted anew, despite its previous failure)
    • Ex Machina (worthwhile for its alternate September 11 alone)
    • Justice Society of America (perhaps losing "of America"; a generational story of superheroism)
    • Archie(Saved By the Bell was Archie in all but names)
    Kingdom Come deserves special mention, but its nearly too unrealistic a production to contemplate.

6. MeanJoePhaser

MeanJoePhaser Admiral

Judge Dredd

Rogue Trooper

Dan Dare

Okay, those would require massive budgets.

Gotham Central* and Preacher sound like the most plausible of the ones listed. And Transmetropolitan, but that doesn't sound that interesting.

*Only if Colm Meany appears as Chief O'Hara

7. The Nth Doctor

The Nth Doctor Infinite Possibilities... Premium Member

I've been wanting JMS' Rising Stars produced in someway, but Heroes has pretty much prevented that from happening anytime soon. Pity because I think Rising Stars is far more interesting than Heroes (although Volume 3 of Rising Stars is a bit rocky).

I would also love to see JMS' Midnight Nation produced, but I think it would work better as a film than a series.

8. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

Deadman.

C'mon. It's QUANTUM LEAP meets THE FUGITIVE meets THE GHOST WHISPERER.

It's a natural!

9. Skywalker

Skywalker Admiral Admiral

I think Bill Willingham's Fables would make for an excellent series. I remember hearing something about ABC maybe developing such a show, but that was a while ago, and I haven't heard anything since.

10. DarthPipes

DarthPipes Vice Admiral Admiral

I always thought Daredevil would have made a great TV series.

11. shivkala

shivkala Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I think the problem with Gotham Central would be the same problem they had with Birds of Prey, namely people wouldn't understand why in Batman's city, with characters from the Batman comics, Batman doesn't appear more. Granted, I'm not saying I agree with that and from what I've read of the comic, it's awesome, and a television adaptation would definitely be a series I'd watch, but ultimately, I don't think the tv viewing audience is ready for something like it.

Thinking about it, I'd think both The Sandman and Starman would be excellent for television series (though like Preacher, Sandman would work better on a premium cable channel). In both cases they benefit from references to other characters, but you could work around that if the licensing is an issue. Besides, Jack Knight was anti-costume long before Smallville.

12. God Magnus

God Magnus Commodore Commodore

A world where criminals operate above the law...
    I'm not familiar with all the titles listed there, but I was hoping "Y: The Last Man" would be on there and I wasn't disappointed. :)

13. Thrall

Thrall Commodore Commodore

Preacher is way to hardcore for even HBO apparently.

The Punisher, in his most true form, would make an excellent series. Basically just take Dexter and cross it with The Wire and there you go. It's amazing that what should be an easy concept to get right has been FUBAR'ed so many times.

Last edited: Aug 15, 2009
  14. Ryan

Ryan Commodore Commodore

Good to see Y: The Last Man on the list. I think a limited run series with a three season arc on HBO or Showtime would be just about perfect.

That can only be a good thing. He doesn't have the chops for it.

I think Topher Grace or Joseph Gordon-Levitt would be much, much better in the role.

15. captcalhoun

captcalhoun Admiral Admiral

Daredevil
    Spider-Man
    The Pulse
    War Heroes

16. O'Dib

O'Dib Commodore Commodore

Although I'm only familiar with the character from the Shadowpact series, I'd love to see a Ragman show.

17. DarKush

DarKush Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I agree with a lot of folks have already said, but I'll repeat some anyway:

Punisher
    Daredevil
    Nightwing
    Preacher
    Moon Knight
    The Walking Dead
    Y: The Last Man
    100 Bullets
    Scalped
    Supreme Power

Two ideas that I would like to see revived:
    Blade
    Flash

18. Lonemagpie

Lonemagpie Writer Admiral

I agree about Daredevil - more down-to-earth villains and is largely a legal drama...

I'd Nominate Garth Ennis' series Hitman. Mostly a foul-mouthed crime comedy thriller, with occasional SF/fantasy elements. Sort of... Tarantino does Twin Peaks.

19. Pingfah

Pingfah Fleet Admiral Admiral

I can't understand why nobody has ever tried to make a film or TV show out of Dan Dare and the Mekon, it's just begging for a kitchsy action/sci-fi movie.

Perhaps The Eagle is just not a very well known comic stateside?

20. captcalhoun

captcalhoun Admiral Admiral

there was a short-lived CGI cartoon series earlier this decade, lasted 2 seasons. it was shown on Milkshake on Five.