News ‘Game Of Thrones’ prequel gets HBO pilot order

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Enterprise is Great, Jun 8, 2018.

1. PsychoPere

PsychoPere Vice Admiral Premium Member

If HBO ultimately doesn't pick up The Long Night* to series, then that's correct that we might never see the pilot.

In fact, HBO's programming president recently addressed a similar line of thought in a Deadline interview after the finale aired.

If they aren't happy with this pilot, it sounds as though they might move to one of the other two that have been in script development and go forward with filming a different option to see how that one shakes out before deciding which one makes it to series - if any.

2. kitik

kitik Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

3. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I just saw the news and got on here to post it before you beat me to it.
    I wonder if this could be the first sign that the bad reaction to the final season is having an effect on HBO's enthusiasm for the franchise.
    With this and the news of Benioff and Weiss not doing their Star Wars movie, it's been a bad news day for Game of Thrones fans.

4. Q2UnME

Q2UnME Commodore Commodore

^ Just read that too. Too bad, sounded good on paper. I hope that at some point they will air it on HBO. Wonder if they finished it to "broadcast' complete, or canned it before everything (post) was completed. If I had to guess, $$ was the deciding factor. Can't do something of this caliber without deep, deep pockets willing to back it up. Probably too big a gamble for some suit... YMMV....

Q2

5. Captaindemotion

Captaindemotion Admiral Admiral

Probably (or certainly) coincidence but it comes on the same day that Benioff and Weiss departed the Star Wars trilogy they were supposed to make.

This will come as a big blow to Northern Ireland’s film industry (and associated tourism, catering, costumers etc), especially as it comes hot on the heels of Krypton being scrapped too.

6. kitik

kitik Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Remember that Hulk scene that they tacked on to the end of Avengers Endgame at the end of its theatrical run along with one or two other bonus features?

7. Booji

Booji Commodore Premium Member

Well, that sucks.

8. The Nth Doctor

The Nth Doctor Infinite Possibilities... Premium Member

Wow, that's a bit surprising, especially since they were already casting and everything. Didn't we know of other actors besides Watts who would be in the show (albeit, she was still the biggest name)?

9. dahj

dahj Vice Admiral Admiral

They already shot the pilot.

Of the top of my head I remember Miranda Richardson and John Simm were supposed be in it, but I'm sure there's other casting news out there too, probably in this thread as well.

10. Reyman

Reyman Commander Red Shirt

Josh Whitehouse, Denise Gough, Jamie Campbell Bower, Alex Sharp, Miranda Richardson, Marquis Rodriguez, and John Heffernan

11. StarMan

StarMan Vice Admiral Admiral

It's possible. Given the costs involved and the likelihood of any of the spin offs approaching the level of popularity of GoT, perhaps they've had some time to temper their enthusiasm.

12. crookeddy

crookeddy Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I think HBO might be getting their overall budget cut since HBO Max has HBO + all this other stuff for the price of just HBO.

13. The Nth Doctor

The Nth Doctor Infinite Possibilities... Premium Member

Yeah, so I found out when I saw other articles on this news. That makes this abrupt pulling out all the more surprising. Game of Thrones had its own bad pilot but they fixed it. Weird that HBO wouldn't try to resolve whatever issues the pilot may have had. Especially with that cast (I knew I forgot people!).

14. Enterprise is Great

Enterprise is Great Vice Admiral Admiral

15. Enterprise is Great

Enterprise is Great Vice Admiral Admiral

‘Game of Thrones’ Prequel Series ‘House of the Dragon’ Ordered at HBO

no wonder the other twice failed pilot didn't go through.

Booji and 137th Gebirg like this.
  16. crookeddy

crookeddy Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Honestly, the story of the white walkers sounds both cheaper to make and more interesting than a Targaryan show... Which doesn't sound bad either, but just... less so. We've already been awed by a GOT dragon.

17. Skywalker

Skywalker Admiral Admiral

There were a lot of interesting stories in Fire & Blood to draw from for a TV show. I do think it'd work better as an anthology show, though, with each season focusing on a different monarch.

18. Captaindemotion

Captaindemotion Admiral Admiral

I personally think that, if done properly, the rise of house Targ is more interesting than the other story, which sounded a bit too much like a rehash of the northern storylines of GOT. Obviously some will say that this story is a rehash of Dany’s, but Fire & Blood was very different, so I’m looking forward to it.