Your favorite romantic comedy... or one you hate?

Discussion in 'TV & Media' started by { Emilia }, May 4, 2017.

?

Romantic Comedies... Do you watch them?

1. Hell, no. Never. And I hated Groundhog Day.

3.4%
  2. I love some romantic comedies. Most are rubbish. Just like any genre, really.

93.1%
  3. My partner makes me watch them. I pretend not to like them but they're sooo sweet.

3.4%
  4. My partner makes me watch them. We have sex afterwards.

6.9%
Multiple votes are allowed.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MacLeod

MacLeod Admiral Admiral

Just checked my BR/DVD collection and there is not one rom-com in there. ;)

Last edited: May 8, 2017
  2. marillion

marillion Vice Admiral Admiral

Definitely When Harry Met Sally... But honestly, other than that, I can't think of another except maybe I Love You, Man.. But that's mostly because Rush plays a big part in the movie. :D

ETA: Looking at other's lists, I guess I think of some of them (Princess Bride/Coming to America) as just comedies, not Rom-Coms... But I did forget about Splash... Brilliant movie!

1001001 likes this.
  3. CorporalCaptain

CorporalCaptain Fleet Admiral Admiral

With respect to Coming To America:

The whole story begins with Akeem's quest to find someone he loves and respects, instead of an arranged bride trained to obey his every command no matter how absurd. Then it revolves around his courtship with Lisa McDowell, and it ultimately climaxes with their wedding. So....

Granted, it does focus on Akeem way more than Lisa.

With respect to The Princess Bride:

I don't even know where to begin, it's so obvious.....

Twu wuv, twu wuv....

4. sbk1234

sbk1234 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

FYI, in Coming to America, the kid in the barber chair is Cuba Gooding Jr. I think it was his first movie role.

5. suarezguy

suarezguy Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Most are mediocre-at-best and with pretty annoying characters. I did love Kate & Leopold because the romance was a significant part of the relationships and story but it didn't dominate the movie or feel forced, it was one believable, natural aspect of a larger relationship.

6. Admiral2

Admiral2 Admiral Admiral

Wow. Yet another thing for us to disagree on. I loved Moonstruck. It's one of the few romantic comedies I like without reservation.

The other two are The Goodbye Girl and The Butcher's Wife.

7. Timewalker

Timewalker Cat-lovin', Star Trekkin' Time Lady Premium Member

In many different universes, simultaneously.
    I totally forgot about The Goodbye Girl. I remember seeing that in the theatre - a double feature with Oh, God! (the first one of the trilogy, with John Denver and Teri Garr).

8. Admiral2

Admiral2 Admiral Admiral

I caught it on TV one day and only stayed mainly because it was written by Neil Simon, who is usually a genius, but even at that I expected to change the channel after a few minutes and instead was hooked and laughing all the way through.

9. Velocity

Velocity Vice Admiral Admiral

I'm not a big romantic comedy fan, but I like Bringing up Baby, Roxanne, Four Weddings and a Funeral, and Notting Hill. I totally despise Love, Actually.

10. MadeIndescribable

MadeIndescribable Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I like you already.

11. Turd Ferguson

Turd Ferguson Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I'm usually not a fan of the romantic comedy, but I love the movie The Invention of Lying with Ricky Gervais and Jennifer Garner. The setup about a world where nobody knows how to lie is worth watching it alone. Like the first time Ricky Gervais' character picks up Jennifer Garner, she tells him she'll be down in a minute because she's masturbating :lol:

Admiral2 likes this.
  12. gblews

gblews Vice Admiral Admiral

As many times as I've seen it, I never picked up on that. Good lookin' out.
    Yeah, Roxanne's a good one.

13. { Emilia }

{ Emilia } Cute but deadly Moderator

Love, Actually isn't a romantic comedy because nothing about it is romantic. Every single "love" story in it is either super-shallow or very depressing.

lurok and MadeIndescribable like this.
  14. sttngfan1701d

sttngfan1701d Commodore Commodore

I adore both Before Sunrise and Before Sunset. Midnight is....well, it is what it is.

It's not so enjoyable, it's not so romantic, but it's real. People fight, and sometimes it gets ugly. That's life. I remember that the girl I watched it with (who loved the first two when I introduced her to them), hated Midnight. I didn't love it, but I appreciated it as a film.

Here's something out of left field...a Hindi romcom. There are sooooo many good ones, but my favorite from recent times is Mere Brother ki Dulhan.

Cheesy? Yep. Predictable? Yep. But fun. Just....fun. And the best part? No melodrama! No "plot enforced tension in the middle of the story that has to be overcome by the end." It's pure fun....I literally never get tired of it. It's silly and breezy and makes you root for the couple quite easily. I wish it was still on Netflix.

15. lurok

lurok Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Lost in the EU expanse with a nice cup of tea
    Adore rom-coms. Sad to see dislike for 500 Days, as that's closest I think Hwood has come to old-school classical format in recent years.

Personal favourites.
    Anything with Doris Day (yes, even execrable 'Caprice') and Katherine Hepburn.

{ Emilia } likes this.
  16. Timewalker

Several years ago, someone in this forum went on a rant about how they hated anything in black and white. As it turned out, there was a Katherine Hepburn movie marathon that weekend. I'd only seen one of her movies before (Summertime, which was in color). Some were pretty funny. It's a shame how so many younger people hold the older movies in such contempt. It's the story that matters, and the truth is that some shows look better in black and white.

If anyone disbelieves me, just have a look at the colorized version of the 1950s Robin Hood series (starring Richard Greene). It's a fun series in black and white. In color it just looks ridiculous.

lurok and { Emilia } like this.
  17. sttngfan1701d

It's not the black-and-white that gets me when I watch older films....it's the pacing. Their pacing was glacial back in the day. Even movies that clock in at 90 minutes seem so slow. I like older films. I'm not against watching them, and I enjoy quite a lot of the classics. Many times, the stark imagery adds to the mood/atmosphere. But they certainly had a different idea of how to pace the story.

18. Timewalker

I guess people had longer attention spans then, and didn't need loud noise that passes for "music" and shooting and explosions every few minutes.

19. sttngfan1701d

I doubt it was that. It was probably because movies were more of an "outing" than a "distraction." Television was a rarity at least until the mid-late 1950's. People's entertainment came from the radio. So going to the cinema to see a movie was a big deal.

20. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

It's not just an attention-span issue. There's also the fact that, over time, audiences have become more familiar with certain story-telling tropes and conventions, so they require less exposition. Plus, as the cinematic vocabulary has evolved, movies have become less like filmed stage plays and more adept at conveying information visually rather than through expository dialogue.

Take vampires for instance. As late as the 1970s, vampire movies still felt obliged to contain a scene where somebody explained what a vampire was, what the rules were, that they could be destroyed by sunlight, etc.

Nowadays, modern audiences already know that stuff, so a quick shot of a character flashing fangs, or their skin sizzling when a sunbeam hits it, and we're good to go.

Personally, I love old b/w movies, but, yes, they were paced differently, and the problem isn't necessarily that modern audiences have shorter attention spans; it's that modern audiences are in some ways more pop-culturally savvy and that modern films are further removed from live theater and the stage.

Last edited: May 11, 2017
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.