Your Favorite Decade

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by Jedi_Master, Sep 1, 2015.

1. Brefugee

Brefugee No longer living the Irish dream. Premium Member

The twenty-tens.

I've met my wife and gotten married, moved away from home and bettering myself through studies and I enjoy and doing pretty well at it the second time around.

I've also grown as a person and cope well more with loss given the last few months with the death of my Grandmother and my own father.

I've also come to a more begrudging acceptance of my Diabetes and the effect it has on my lot in life.

I've also seen my siblings grow their families and been assimilated into my wifes family rather well - I even wanted their surname and not have my wife change her surname to mine when we got married.

2. Taylirious

Taylirious Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

For me it has been a downward spiral since probably 23? I don't blame anyone but not making good choices and not taking care of mental health issues then has led to the feeling of being beaten down for the past 14 years. I hope the rest of my life is filled with joy and excitement though. :bolian:

3. SPCTRE

SPCTRE Badass Admiral

Okay guys, serious answer.

My favorite decade is right now, followed closely by all the decades yet to come. I wouldn't want to live anywhere (or anywhen) else.

4. Melakon

Melakon Admiral In Memoriam

1950s. Both parents were still alive, and I discovered science fiction in 1959.

5. RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion Premium Member

It's like the answer to the question, "What was the Golden Age of Science Fiction?" "12." :rommie:

I hope it is, too. :)

6. Taylirious

^ :)

I like cars from the 50's, a few movies and some music. :bolian:

7. Brefugee

Brefugee No longer living the Irish dream. Premium Member

Same here. My teenage years and early twenties were pretty crap, so now is good from my own personal viewpoint.

8. Melakon

Melakon Admiral In Memoriam

My brother or a brother-in-law had a '55 or '56 Chevy around that time. Dad had a '54 Buick until getting a '58 Ford. Sisters had 45rpm records of Patti Page's "How Much is that Doggie in the Window?" and Bill Hayes' "The Ballad of Davy Crockett"... Davy, Davy Crockett, king of the wild frontier.

9. Taylirious

I only know that song because of Back To The Future! :lol:

10. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

Definitely the 80's.

11. EmoBorg

EmoBorg Commodore Commodore

The 90s. Three Star Trek shows were broadcast during that decade. I was a teen during that period having been born in 1978. I liked everyhing about decade like the music,movies, television, lifestyle, food and other things.

12. Tim Walker

Tim Walker Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I would agree with these points!:bolian:

Alas, I have to agree that for the world, the present is on the path to nowhere. :confused:

13. Janeway’s Girl

Janeway’s Girl Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Maybe I should have clarified which Disney movies were the highlights of my young life instead: TLM, BATB, Aladdin, The Lion King, Hercules, Mulan, Tarzan... I also loved The Emperor's New Goove and Lilo And Stitch but they were early 2000's.

I never liked Toy Story.

14. Amaris

Amaris Guest

That's my favorite era of Disney storytelling, too. I'm a big fan of The Little Mermaid, and Beauty and the Beast, in particular.

15. Janeway’s Girl

Janeway’s Girl Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

:techman:

16. Timewalker

Timewalker Cat-lovin', Star Trekkin' Time Lady Premium Member

In many different universes, simultaneously.
    I think it's likely because we were becoming more independent, figuring out who we were as people, and were generally optimistic.

And then RL adulthood kicked in. I set my cutoff at 1985 because, although there were other good things that happened after that, 1986 was when my grandfather died, and he was one of the people who raised me. That changed the family dynamic drastically.

:lol: Well, I was 12 when I got addicted to Star Trek in the fall/winter of 1975. My personal "SF Golden Age" came along later, though, during my bookhunting years. Every Saturday was when I'd make the rounds of every bookstore, book stand, the Farmer's Market, and promising garage sales to find those elusive science fiction books by my favorite authors. Back then I was in junior high/high school, and an expensive book for me was around $2.00. A super-expensive one was an Alfred Hitchcock and The Three Investigators hardcover, which cost $3.49.

To a kid who was babysitting for 50 cents/hour, and didn't get an allowance (my grandparents didn't believe in allowances, though they'd give me money for a special occasion such as a day of rides at the fair), it was a tough decision sometimes, whether to get a 45-cent second-hand book or splurge on the 95-cent new book. I remember my mother just about throwing a fit when she saw me counting out 7 quarters (over 3 hours' babysitting wages) to pay for Spock, Messiah!. But then she a) didn't understand science fiction; and b) couldn't fathom why anyone would spend money for a book.

(I still have that book, and aside from the notes I made on the inside cover, it's in perfect condition. I bought it on September 16, 1976, at the Hudson's Bay store - and noted that it was the 26th Star Trek book I'd bought.)

Sorry, I don't speak alphabet soup. I have no idea what "TLM" and "BATB" mean.

Disney movies, to me, are the classic animated ones such as Snow White, Sleeping Beauty, Cinderella, The Aristocats, and Lady and the Tramp. For live action ones, my favorites included those in which Dean Jones (RIP) and Kurt Russell played the leads.

17. RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion Premium Member

I got hooked on Trek in 1969-- just before it was cancelled. Luckily it went into syndication on Channel 56 that Fall, so I got to watch it every day. In those days, I could barely afford comic books. Hardcovers were something I dreamed about for Christmas. I still have the edition of Alfred Hitchcock's Monster Museum that I got in 1970, which was my very first exposure to Manly Wade Wellman's John the Balladeer character.

I know how that goes. I used to get occasional money for babysitting or car washing, but most of my income was the 35 cents a day they gave me for lunch money. I basically had to choose between nourishment and books-- books usually won. I'd be about to faint by the time I got home, but I would get my books. I remember when the first volume of Weird Heroes came out in 1975, it was way outside my budget, but I really needed to have it-- I went to the store and stared at it longingly every day for a week before I finally gave in and splurged. :rommie:

It took me a minute, too, but those are The Little Mermaid and Beauty and the Beast.

18. RandyS

RandyS Vice Admiral Admiral

Man, ain't that the truth.

Although I was a young man in the 90's, so I would also throw in the 80's, since they were my teen years.

And of course, the 70s, when I was too young and stupid to know better.

I hate the 21st century so far. Its all been shit.

19. Catarina

Catarina Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

90's even though we were still plagued by bad fashion. Entertainment was still good.

20. The Old Mixer

The Old Mixer Mih ssim, mih ssim, nam, daed si Xim. Moderator

I've been a '60s buff for most of my life, and I did live in that decade for nearly two months! (Or 11, if you count the womb.) If you can remember the Sixties, you weren't there.