Which film character's death moved you the most?

Discussion in 'TV & Media' started by Rowdy Roddy McDowall, Mar 9, 2016.

1. cultcross

cultcross Postponed for the snooker Moderator

I wasn't spoiled on this at all, but it still had little impact on me. I mostly was distracted by assuming it was a fake out I think.

2. gblews

gblews Vice Admiral Admiral

The actual death scene was more "triumphant" to me (followed by the Chief's next move). The real sad and shocking thing was seeing, and realizing that he wasn't playing around this time, McMurphy after he'd been "fixed".

But I understand anyone feeling sad at this death. Randall P. McMurphy as presented by Jack was a magnificent character.

cardinal biggles and HIjol like this.
  3. gblews

gblews Vice Admiral Admiral

Again, it comes down to an actor's professionalism. Just because an actor is bored with a role doesn't mean necessarily, that he or she cannot present the role as though it was the first time the character was played. True professionals do this all the time.

4. BoxWhatBox

BoxWhatBox Commander Red Shirt

Marley from "Marley and Me"

5. Turd Ferguson

Turd Ferguson Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

1. Spock - Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan

2. Leonidas - 300

3. Sgt. Elias - Platoon

4. Uncle Bob - Terminator 2: Judgment Day

5. Ellie - Up

6. Johnny 5 - Short Circuit 2

7. Marley - Marley & Me

6. Kirby

Kirby Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

George Kirk in Star Trek
    Both Wash and Book in Serenity
    I can't remember the character's name, but John Cusack played a scientist in Fat Man and Little Boy

7. auntiehill

auntiehill The Blooness Premium Member

^ The character was named Michael Merriman. The fictional character was a composite, of sorts, of real life scientists Louis Slotin and Harry Daghlian, both young men who died after exposure to the plutonium core--but after the bombing of Japan--not before, as they depict in the film.

8. Hugo Rune

Hugo Rune Vice Admiral Admiral

Films and TV move me to tears regularly, but it has rarely been due to the death of a single character - though GoT almost pushed me over the edge this week.

Yet, Richard Curtis' beautiful and under-appreciated 2013 film About Time has a real sense of heartbreak when Bill Nighy's "Dad" character dies. It's partly due to how well written he is. It's partly down to how amazing Nighy is. But mostly it is down to the remarkable and almost real chemistry between Night and Domhall Gleeson. They feel like father and son. So to move through Tim's grief with him was palpable for me.

I've seen the film twice. Both times "Dad's" death has left me in bits. There is no doubt the loss of my own father compounds and amplifies the emotions the film is attempting to bring out in the audience (me), but the power lies in their performances as I have seen many other "dads" die in many other films and felt nothing.

Wonderful character whose loss enriches the film.

Hugo - actually bumped into Bill Nighy on Oxford Street last week. Lanky string bean of a fellow.