What very small plot (or plot detail) would make for an interesting Star Trek story?

Discussion in 'General Trek Discussion' started by Mr. Phreez, Mar 19, 2024.

1. evilchumlee

evilchumlee Captain Captain

There are plenty of things I want to know more about, and there some things I think are better left unanswered.

This is one of the latter. It's interesting to ponder, but I feel like any answer they give us won't live up to the expectation and wonder.

Same with V'Ger, and to a lesser extent, the Borg. We COULD do a Borg origin story but I feel like it's kind of mundane. I really don't think there would be a huge, dramatic, dynamic story around the formation of the Borg. Rather, I think it's closer to a long, drawn out, Cyperpunk-eque story where a planet dabbles into cybernetics and it slowly consumes them. Interesting enough on it's own, but I don't see a single climax moment. It's more of a progression. Even the Collective I think starts small, on the planet and the first people they assimilate are themselves. I have toyed with that idea and have some half-finished writings about it, inspired by Cyberpunk stories. My idea was that there's a very like, Cyberpunk 2077ish world and cybernetics are running amok as well as unchecked consumerism and consumption. The Collective is actually a backfired tactic enacted by a corporation trying to exploit brain-mods to gently mind control the masses. It works... sort of... but rather than giving them the power to influence the masses, it actually just networks them together. The new collective starts to spread with basically a single focus... "consume".

2. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

Commander Troi and evilchumlee like this.
  3. fireproof78

fireproof78 Fleet Admiral Admiral

And what did the President know and when did he know it?

Commander Troi likes this.
  4. Citiprime

Citiprime Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

The Galactic Barriers.

Who (or what) created the galactic barriers on the edge of the Milky Way and around the core of the Milky Way? And what purpose do they serve, or are they naturally occurring phenomena with no purpose whatsoever?

The barrier at the center of the galaxy seems to act to keep the "God" entity trapped inside of a prison. Does that imply the barrier around the edge of the galaxy acts to keep something out of the Milky Way?

5. NCC-73515

NCC-73515 Vice Admiral Admiral

And is the ShaKaRee fake god a cytherean? :D

6. Shawnster

Shawnster Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

What other Federation institutions do you speak of that do not have a large percentage of humans?

7. Citiprime

There's a novelverse explanation for who and what he is.
    • Somehow entered our galaxy through the Guardian of Forever after Q asked the Guardian to be shown "something new, something different" and it summoned an entity named "0." That entity was malevolent and eventually pulled the "God" in The Final Frontier through the gateway along with some other things.
    • Was a contemporary and colleague of some of the other non-corporeal entities encountered by Kirk and the Enterprise (e.g., the Beta XII-A entity, Gorgan, etc.)
    • He's responsible for the destruction of the T'Kon Empire
    • Was defeated and imprisoned by the Q Continuum

8. fireproof78

Probably.

9. Farscape One

Farscape One Vice Admiral Admiral

Or maybe... to keep something in the Milky Way.

:biggrin:

10. C.E. Evans

C.E. Evans Admiral Admiral

On Federation worlds where the number of Humans are low or perhaps even zero. We know there are members (like Vulcan) that still maintain their own individual agencies even after joining.

maneth and Commander Troi like this.
  11. Jayson1

Jayson1 Fleet Admiral Admiral

The Tzenkethi War. We don't even know what those aliens look like. Prime Lorca is out their also just waiting to make a entrance.

12. evilchumlee

That get's fuzzy on wording. The question was what Federation institutions.

There are absolutely member world organizations/fleets. We know for absolute certainty Vulcan operates a fleet and an intelligence agency. We've seen Andorian ships in LDS.

It's semantics, but are these considered Federation organizations, or Member World organizations?

This, for sure, it's almost odd they haven't really explored this more at some point.

I've never put a ton of thought into it, but I had a nugget of an idea that they're an incredibly ancient holdover from an ancient galaxy-spanning empire, created a defense against... something from outside the galaxy.

I do like the idea of it also being constructed to keep something in. Giving it two seconds of thought, perhaps it was built by some ancient race in response to the PIC Reapers AI-aliens destroying all organic life. Perhaps while being extra-dimensional, for whatever reason (quan...tum?) they're tethered to entry points in the Milky Way. So Ancient Extra-Galactic Sheppard unknown persons built a giant barrier to keep the NotReapers contained.

13. Citiprime

For those familiar with the lore of Warhammer 40K... a Trek version of the Tyranids is a frightening concept.

The idea of living extra-galactic fleets invading the Milky Way to consume organic matter, and the more they consume the more they evolve to incorporate your characteristics into their defenses to destroy you is pure horror-show.

I could see an ancient species constructing the barriers to combat those type of threats.

publiusr and Commander Troi like this.
  14. fireproof78

Is he entering during the Tzenkethi War?

15. evilchumlee

Absolutely.

I have always liked the vast timescales of Trek, like everything that has happened in the galaxy isn't happening "now", there's been entire galaxy-spanning civilizations that have risen and fallen over a few billion years.

We know very little of what's going on in other galaxies. We do know that Andromeda is being flooded by some sort of radiation and the Kelvans are having issues with that. That's all I can think of off the top of my head.

I feel like Prime Lorca is just dead. Stands to reason the old switcheroo happened the usual way, transporter mishap, and Mirror Lorca's ship was in the process of being destroyed. Prime Lorca almost certainly materialized, and died almost immediately.

Sure he COULD be out there, and I wouldn't mind seeing him but... yeah. He's dead.

16. at Quark's

at Quark's Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Perhaps not a small plot detail, but still a brief throwaway Wesley line from Samaritan Snare:

PICARD: Several friends and I were on leave at Farspace Starbase Earhart. It was little more than a galactic outpost in those days.
    WESLEY: Was this before the Klingons joined the Federation?
    PICARD: That's right.

So, how did they join (and then extricate themselves again)?

17. C.E. Evans

C.E. Evans Admiral Admiral

Depending on the perspective, both.

18. Verteron

Verteron Lux in tenebris lucet Premium Member

Joined as 'allies' works here, just about.

Example:
    Britain joined the USA in the Iraq War.
    This does not imply we became the 51st state.

Though I believe that when this episode was written, the idea was to have the Klingons as Federation members, so this is really just a dialogue retcon.

19. at Quark's

at Quark's Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Sounds a lot like a race of extragalactic überborg to me, with a million-year (or so) headstart on them.

20. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

Just sounds like a variation on the Borg.