What Size Bed…

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by RoJoHen, Sep 16, 2014.

?

Your Bed Size

1. Twin

9.7%
  2. Full

12.9%
  3. Queen

61.3%
  4. King

16.1%
  5. California King

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Rom

Rom Cadet Newbie

Re: Where do you sleep?

I generally will fall asleep on the couch, sometimes I'll sleep in the guest room. Sometimes sleep in my own bed. And on the rare occasion I'll sleep on an air mattress in the room I've made into an office. And for the most part can sleep pretty well in any of those locations. But I can't sleep in someone else's house worth a damn, yet can still sleep well in a hotel room. Weird.

2. scotpens

scotpens Professional Geek Premium Member

Not really. Another person's house has all the owner's personal stuff and history attached to it, which can make you feel awkward and uncomfortable trying to sleep. After all, you're at your most vulnerable when you're asleep and unconscious. A hotel room, OTOH, seems impersonal and anonymous, even though you're aware on some level that hundreds of others may have slept in that same room before you did.

3. rhubarbodendron

rhubarbodendron Vice Admiral Admiral

LOL no offense taken. I was just making fun of myself. A typical German habit that infallibly makes foreigners nervous because they never know whether they are allowed to laugh or not (the answer is a cathegorical and emphatical YES!).

You're being hoodwinked by my good grammar. If you analyze my posts, you'll see that I use only a very limited vocabulary. The trick is that I use it fluently enough to paraphrase those words I don't recall. It usually serves me well until I come to a point where the reader falsely assumes an underlying meaning or where I overlook one.
    English words have a gazillion shades of meanings, far more than German words have. That enables you to have these wonderful verbal games, limericks and humourous literature but at the same time it makes an interpretor's life a nightmare.
    It's one of the reasons why my posts always are so long. I desperately try to explain in a way that's perfectly unambiguous (right word? I had to look that one up)

Have a look here to see what I am fighting against with every post: http://dict.leo.org/#/search=eindeutig&searchLoc=0&resultOrder=basic&multiwordShowSingle=on
    1 word in German, 15 different words with slightly different meanings in English.

But we're drifting terribly off-topic. I'd like to hijack the thread by asking a bed-related question:
    I need a new mattrass and am uncertain as to what to pick. Atm I have a horsehair filled one. Nicely hard and warm but it weighs a ton .- I can hardly lift it when I put on new sheets.
    I'm therefore looking for something lighter but it must be comperatively hard and support a considerable weight (about 200 lbs) without developing a pit into which I roll back all night.
    What materials / type of mattress could you all recommend from your personal experience?

4. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

^ Well your English is much better than my German, so be proud of that. :) (And also be glad that I don't know how to say "How you doin'?" in German otherwise I would say exactly that. ;) )

Try something like this to find what's right for you. I prefer the coiled kind but it always varies with body type. But always choose what feels good first - if it's heavy to lift, but comfortable to sleep on, that's better than the other way around. You can get people to help you move the mattress but if it hurts to sleep, that really sucks :sigh:

5. Captain Ice

Captain Ice Cookie Constructor Admiral

Getting Captain Ice on to the naughty list

You might try taking a look at http://www.sleepnumber.com/. The beds made and sold by this company are designed so that the end user can change the firmness of the bed to suit themselves.

6. rhubarbodendron

sounds great but unfortunately they don't have any stores outside the US :( But I'll keep my eyes open for anything similar on my continent =) Thanks for the tip!

it's "wie geht es dir" (informal) or "wie geht es Ihnen" (formal). Pronounciation approximately: vee geht ess deer / ee-nen. :)
    I like spring mattrasses but I have the impression that nowadays they don't make them as sturdy anymore as they used to.
    And yes, it does hurt: I dislocated a rib, 5 years ago (LOL at Disneyland of all places!) and it keeps slipping out of its joint and pressing into a nerve. On a hard mattrass it tends to stay in place while a soft mattrass gives way under my weight, the spine bends and the rib slips out again. Ah well, thus are the joys of age :D

7. Sector 7

Sector 7 Vice Admiral Admiral

Serta makes the iComfort mattress. Even TempurPedic is copying the formula of cooling gel overlay on a memory foam mattress. However, there are many complaints about the latter.

The combination works very well for me (I am 200+ pounds and slowly shrinking).

8. rhubarbodendron

Thanks for the tips! And congrats on the shrinking. I, too, am working on partially dematerializing myself but much to my frustration women lose weight slower than men. The prob is: when I'm frustrated, I need chocolate.

9. Sector 7

Sector 7 Vice Admiral Admiral

I suffer from depression which leads to eating when I am especially upset. After taking care of Mom for 24 years, her passing has left me rather lonely and looking for a new purpose. The house seems so so very very silent since Mom died. I constantly fight the urge to over eat. Being diabetic, I dare not keep sweets in my home, but there are plenty of other snacks around. :sigh:

10. rhubarbodendron

Ouch! Stress/depression eating and diabetes is an evil combination. Have you considered getting a pet? I find that the presence of a being that loves unconditionally is very soothing and works miracles on the mood. Also, it'd distract you plus the house wouldn't feel so empty.

11. Kelthaz

Kelthaz Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I occasionally fall asleep on my couch when playing video games. I rarely if ever fall asleep while watching TV or reading, but playing a game, even an action game, can put me out like a baby. It's weird. I've woken up so many times to find my PSP on the hardwood floor with the battery compartment smashed open, and the battery itself flung halfway across the room.

12. Brefugee

Brefugee No longer living the Irish dream. Premium Member

Type One or Type Two?

13. Australis

Australis Writer - Australis Admiral

Alone. It's a story.

14. Dave Lister

Dave Lister Lieutenant Red Shirt

I sleep like shit no matter where. My wife likes sleeping on one of those mattress toppers because they're soft. I'm convinced this is destroying my back. Time for a sleep number!

15. Captain Kathryn

Captain Kathryn Commodore Commodore

I'm definitely more of a couch person, however my living room is really close to where another person sleeps and they don't shut their door and it's too loud, so I'm in the bed at the moment.

When I live alone one day, I will probably have a bed but sleep solely on the couch.

Also I prefer sheets as opposed to blankets. And a massive amount of pillows. MASSIVE PILLOWAGE. :D

16. Taylirious

Taylirious Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

On the cold hard ground. At least that is how it feels. :(

17. Gaseous Anomaly

Gaseous Anomaly Bonzo Admiral

I sleep in the the bed that causes my back the most grief! Well that is what it feels like, I liked our old bed, but alas I'm the husband so what the fuck!

18. Dave Lister

Dave Lister Lieutenant Red Shirt

I feel your pain...

19. rhubarbodendron

Ha GA! Long time no see! Do you have a bed with one mattrass or with two? Most people I know have double beds that are basically 2 single ones put together. It enables both sleepers to have the mattrass and base (we mostly have sprung slats over here) that are ideal for them.

20. Drone

Drone Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

A recliner for quite awhile now. At first, it was an accommodation that was unavoidable. Then, an elective for about a year. Back to a requirement for the past three years. I'm comfortable enough with it I suppose. Interestingly, the few instances I've had to sample my bed in the recent past, I've found the experience to be unpleasant rather quickly. Mounting discomfort in my hips and back and I bolt back to my semi-recumbent abode!!!!