What is your personal head canon?

Discussion in 'General Trek Discussion' started by AmandaSmith, Mar 5, 2023.

1. Lord Garth

Lord Garth Admiral Admiral

We're already in that territory anyway when Decker says, "This is an almost totally new Enterprise." My head-canon is rooted from what I see. There's nothing from the Enterprise in TMP, TWOK, in TSFS that looks remotely like it did in TOS.

I think keeping it NCC-1701 was a political move.

With the Titan-A, which supposedly was built out of the previous Titan, they changed the registry number. They retrofitted Discovery and changed the registry number there too. So, I think what happened with the Titan and the Discovery is more typical of what Starfleet does with registry numbers but, for PR reasons, they just didn't with the TMP Enterprise.

Commander Troi and fireproof78 like this.
  2. Lord Garth

I seriously wish they did this in Picard Season 3. Especially considering that they shot past when the Future Scenes of "All Good Things" took place. "Warp 13" sounds better than "Warp 9.97".

Would've been nice if Discovery said something warp factors as well. Nothing I'll lose sleep over, but they should've at least had a line about what maximum warp or transwarp is in instances where the Spore Drive was out of commission.

fireproof78 and Macintosh like this.
  3. Macintosh

Macintosh Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I could really get behind that idea. It becomes messy trying to fit the TOS warp scale with this idea but we could always say something like "the TOS warp scale was created at a time when transition thresholds were very poorly understood, engines were so inefficient that they weren't able to really be exploited anyway, and the TOS warp scale was an attempt to standardise starship speeds and engine capabilities in Federation space".

(And yeah, I tried a few more iterations of setting warp 30 at infinite speed and expanding out warp 20-29, then warp 40 at infinite speed and expanding out warp 30-39... but really it's unnecessary at this point, once you get to warp 16 you're above 10,000c and faster than any ship we've seen so far.)

If my theory on starship speeds quadrupling every 100 years were to continue indefinitely beyond the 24th century, the typical starship speed in the 32nd century would be in excess of 100 million times the speed of light – or fast enough to cross the entire galaxy in less than nine hours! Even if we assume they'd lost a couple of centuries of development here and there due to the Burn and other issues, speeds of hundreds of thousands or millions of c should still be possible.

It's interesting that while we see starships going to warp in Discovery we never seem to get explicit warp factors any more...

4. KamenRiderBlade

KamenRiderBlade Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I concur, listing integer Warp Factor speeds is preferable over listing too many decimal places.

That's why my Warp Factor Scale 3.0 is basically the TNG Warp Factor Scale, but with the hand drawn curve to infinity after Warp 9 removed and I let the TNG era (Wf Scale 2.0) equation run until the end of the excel table.

You don't even need to get very far on that table to cross significant chunks of the Milky Way Galaxy in reasonable time.

See above, given how fast we see Discovery travel at Warp Speeds, it's still not bad.
    Crossing the Milky Way Galaxy back home in ~1 Gregorian Year using only Warp Drive wouldn't have been bad at all, especially compared to what Voyager had faced.

Lord Garth likes this.
  5. Henoch

Henoch Glowing Globe Premium Member

<Thanks for asking, BK. I had a hip replacement 3 weeks ago and I'm doing great (on-schedule or ahead) with the hip recovery stuff. :techman: Unfortunately, I had an allergic reaction to the adhesive used in the bandaid and my wound and the whole hip area broke out in horrible hives :ack: but I got over that, too. I have to mention, my wife has been great in caring for me! :luvlove: >

Last edited: May 7, 2024
    nightwind1, Oddish, BK613 and 3 others like this.
  6. Lord Garth

That makes a scene in "But to Connect" make sense where Stamets says representatives from all four quadrants will be getting together to vote on how to respond to Species 10-C.

The only thing actually holding back travel in the 32nd Century is dilithium being at a premium.

Macintosh likes this.
  7. Praetor

Praetor Vice Admiral Admiral

All the more reason for more warp integers. "Warp 47" has a ring to it. :rommie:

Macintosh and Farscape One like this.
  8. Macintosh

But we also know that the Federation is potentially smaller in the 32nd century than it was even in the 24th... or at least has far fewer members. Plus they could be using wormholes, abandoned Borg transwarp conduits, some sort of advanced quantum slipstream.

We also know that the Tikhov from DIS: "Die Trying" was "five months away" from Starfleet Headquarters, which gave Discovery an early opportunity to show off their spore drive to Admiral Vance. Assuming they're both still in the Milky Way that puts an upper limit on warp capabilities in the 32nd century – assuming they're on opposite sides of the galaxy and there's a direct path between them that's a maximum speed of 240,000c, or warp 9.99992 on the TNG scale.

Edited for spelling.

Last edited: May 8, 2024
  9. C.E. Evans

C.E. Evans Admiral Admiral

Spock just kept things simple as far as warp drive.

"I would like the ship to go...now."
    :vulcan:

10. Citiprime

Citiprime Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Does this mean that in the alternate future of "All Good Things" they switched back to the old warp scale?

11. Macintosh

Unlikely that they went back to the TOS scale, since warp 13 on the TOS scale is about warp 9.7 on the TNG scale; for those speeds there'd be no need to revert to an older scale. Here's a link to what I think is happening.

12. Praetor

Praetor Vice Admiral Admiral

Macintosh likes this.
  13. FredH

FredH Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

While there’s no real reason for them to suddenly not be declaring warp factors in the earlier eras, one might postulate that by the 32nd century it’s fast enough that they mostly don’t bother with different speeds — there’s just a standard “warp speed”, much higher than anything in earlier eras but still low enough that it would take (let’s say) months to cross the galaxy — and until Discovery proved it was safe after all, they used it as little as they could after the Burn, which is what allowed the collapse to continue as long as it did.

14. cooleddie74

cooleddie74 Arguably The Best Poster Named cooleddie Moderator

The Warped Sector of the Demented Quadrant
    When rapidly aging McCoy in "The Deadly Years(TOS)" mentions adrenaline-based drugs that were used to treat radiation sickness "after the Atomic Age" I head canon that to refer to the Postatomic Horror and World War III. TOS also hinted that humanity almost destroyed itself at some point after the 20th century so "the Atomic Age" could just be how hyper-aged McCoy referred to the Postatomic Horror.

15. Lord Garth

I think the Borg were playing not just the Long Game but the Very Long Game. I was bored at work today, and thought about everything the Borg have done in a straight line from ENT to TNG to FC to PIC. The Borg had a plan. Then there's VOY. The Borg were caught off-guard with Voyager being in the Delta Quadrant.

I'll go into more detail later. Not today, but soon. This is going to be pretty wild and pretty in-depth. Stay tuned.

Macintosh, Daedalus and Praetor like this.
  16. Oddish

Oddish Admiral Admiral

My head canon is that part of why Nog transformed from the delinquent of early DS9 and the brave and capable Starfleet officer of later seasons was the tragic events of "Sanctuary". Several kids about his age died, and his prior unkindness might well have been partially to blame. As a result of this, he seriously re-thought his life.

17. Farscape One

Farscape One Vice Admiral Admiral

I have to say, that never occured to me. I really like that idea. His scene with Sisko in "HEART OF STONE" is excellent already, but this adds another layer to it.

I have to applaud that. :beer::bolian:

Oddish likes this.
  18. Lord Garth

Been trying to get over this cold I've had. Can't get into Super-Duper Head-Canon if I'm not feeling like I'm on my A-game. But I just made a post elsewhere about how every season of DSC could've potentially been the last one... so if I can make a post about that... I can make a post about the Borg Multi-Decade Long-Game Plan. Multi-Century, depending upon how you want to look at it.

Where do we begin? We begin from the 24th Century's perspective.

In the 24th Century, the Borg receive a message from a Borg Drone on Earth that took 200 years to reach them. This is the point where the Borg Collective are first made aware of the Federation. In the process, the Borg Drone that was on Earth told the Borg about the other Alpha Quadrant powers as well. Basically giving the Borg Collective a Who's Who Guide.

The Borg then decide to send a Cube to The Neutral Zone in 2364, where it eradicates Federation and Romulan Outposts. The Borg want to observe the Federation and Romulans from afar, to confirm if the Federation is really the type of threat they were warned about. Being able to compare the Federation to an evenly-matched opponent (the Romulans) would be a good way to gauge them. In this case the Enterprise-D and a Romulan Warbird.

The Borg are disappointed in what they see. How could something as primitive as the Federation be a threat to them? They disregard the warning and stick to focusing on their own affairs in the Delta Quadrant...

... until Q flings the Enterprise-D in front of a Borg Cube in 2365 at Sector J-25, far away from Federation Space. The Borg send drones aboard the Enterprise to figure out how it could've gotten there so fast, since they didn't think the Federation had that kind of technology. When the Borg Cube looks like it's about to close in and destroy the Enterprise, it suddenly disappears. Leaving the Borg confused. The Borg Collective don't know about the Q, so they're confused about how the Enterprise could've just disappeared. The Borg decides to send a Cube towards Earth. They now realize there's more to the Federation threat than they thought and that the 200-year-old warning they received wasn't something to disregard.

TO BE CONTINUED

Last edited: May 24, 2024
  19. Rahul

Rahul Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I have this headcanon, where the Ferengi are actually a formidable, fearsome Empire, a power to be reckoned with, as described very early in TNG.

Akin to the British Empire, or Star Wars' Trade Federation - an Empire built on trade, willing to raze entire planets and cultures for some profits and spices.
    Hated for their people - nasty little buggers with big ears and crooked teeth (again, very British), but highly influential due to their trade routes and access to foreign goods and technologies, their Croissants-shaped ships actually powerful weapon & cargo ships. A bit of a Dune guild flair in the Trek universe.

Which however doesn't really match up with the Grand Nagus flying in a tiny shuttle to bang some barkeepers' mom, though. So, yeah...

nightwind1 and trekshark like this.
  20. Admiral Archer

Admiral Archer Captain Captain

More fun with my head canon:

The turbo lift in the TOS Enterprise bridge was directly aft of the captain's chair. The set was built wrong to make it easier for the actors to not trip over anything when entering the set, also because it looks more dramatic.

Large swaths of DS9, Voyager and Enterprise are non canon for me, particularly if they contradict earlier or later shows that I enjoy better. The Dominion War definitely happened but it was not as devastating a conflict as shown in DS9, and season 3 of Enterprise didn't happen; in place of the Xindi war there was actually the Romulan war, since it makes no sense for early Starfleet to have two massive conflicts one after the other and anyway only the Romulan War was mentioned in shows set centuries later. I'll probably describe the season 3 of my head canon at a later time, since we never got to see it.