What is your personal head canon?

Discussion in 'General Trek Discussion' started by AmandaSmith, Mar 5, 2023.

1. AmandaSmith

AmandaSmith Lieutenant Red Shirt

I honestly do think this. Why else cast such a old actor as Kirk when Kirk is 28 unless the plan is to have an older Kirk pop up

2. FredH

FredH Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I’ve thought this before, and I think even the latest Discovery kind of supports it:

A Starfleet ship’s command crew doesn’t just head the various departments — it’s also the ship’s primary exploration/operations team, the main “astronauts” that the rest of the crew exists to support. That’s why bridge crew are so commonly chosen for away teams.

3. KamenRiderBlade

KamenRiderBlade Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I think it's more of the Senior Staff / Department heads want the fun jobs for themselves, and they use their ranks to volunteer themselves for all the interesting away missions.

Only not going on them when they have more important matters to attend to or are pre-occupied or assigned to some other task.

If you were the Department Head of ___ Department, you had the opportunity to go on the away mission, or assign a junior officer, wouldn't you be tempted to go on many occaisions?

Especially if it sounds interesting, full of intrigue, or something new & shiny?

kkt likes this.
  4. CorporalCaptain

CorporalCaptain Fleet Admiral Admiral

Possibly ten.

In "The Alternative Factor" the Enterprise was at ground zero of the "winking-out phenomenon" that according to Starfleet involved "timewarp distortion." Lazarus's vessel was allegedly a time-ship that had engaged in time travel, so causality loops could have played a part in the breakdown of physical laws that Kirk prevented.

In "The Jihad" Kirk and Spock were gone for only a few minutes, while their mission seemed to have taken hours. How the Vedala accomplished that is never explained.

Henoch likes this.
  5. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

We should punish Kirk for this...

...and this...

CorporalCaptain likes this.
  6. cooleddie74

cooleddie74 Fleet Admiral Admiral

The Warped Sector of the Demented Quadrant
    :lol:

[*Scowls in Dulmer and Lucsly*]

CorporalCaptain and BillJ like this.
  7. Oddish

Oddish Admiral Admiral

The Prophets did not completely change Zek back in "Prophet Motive". Many of the reforms that he originally advocated in that episode, courtesy of the Revised Rules of Acquisition, were presumably implemented for real in "The Dogs of War".

Cr0sis21 likes this.
  8. Lord Garth

Lord Garth Admiral Admiral

Pre-Emptive Head Canon (if that's a thing): I don't normally do the Kelvin Films but this one jumped out at me, so here we go. I heard this from someone somewhere else, so I can't claim credit, but I've adopted it...

The Enterprise in the 2009 Film wasn't built, it was re-built. In the prequel movie, if it happens, the Enterprise will be under the command of Captain April. In order to only be a prequel to the Kelvin Films, it has to be set from 2233 onward.

So, the Kelvin Enterprise was older than we thought.

Now I have to go post something about Discovery or Picard, because I feel so weird after stepping so far out of my lane. :p

Commander Troi likes this.
  9. Annorax849

Annorax849 Commander Red Shirt

Appropriate for the name-drop this past week, I think the Ferengi are on the other side of Tzenkethi space. That's why it took so long for the UFP to make official contact.

10. Citiprime

Citiprime Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

It's been a while, but isn't the Kelvin Enterprise supposed to be enormous compared to the Prime Enterprise?

I seem to remember I think the production people made comments where I think the dimensions would mean it's bigger than both the Enterprise-D and Enterprise-E.
    [​IMG]

11. Lord Garth

Lord Garth Admiral Admiral

Yup, that's what they were going for. I've seen that illustration too.

12. Macintosh

Macintosh Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Longer, certainly, and definitely larger than the Enterprise-E, which for all its length has a surprisingly small volume (less than the C, or even just the D's saucer on its own). The volumetrics I calculated for the Abramsprise show that the D still has a slightly larger volume.

13. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

Yes but it's now 2024 and the SNW Enterprise is explicitly the same ship as the TOS Enterprise but is significantly bigger also. So I don't think these things matter much.

14. Shawnster

Shawnster Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Warp factor is the number of shells of the warp bubble surround the ship. Warp 1 is 1 shell, warp 5 is 5 shells, etc... Due to improvements over time, the same amount of warp shells resultetld in an increase of overall speed. This explains why warp 5 in TOS is slower than warp 5 in TNG, despite the fact they both are the same warp factor. This also explains why in TOS the Enterprise could go over warp 10 on occasion.

Macintosh likes this.
  15. BK613

BK613 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Like phone numbers, the system of assigning hull numbers has changed over the centuries. Any semblance to consecutive numbering is purely coincidental.

16. KamenRiderBlade

KamenRiderBlade Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

In the very early days, it was sequential and class/project based.

It quickly devolved from that once we got to 5-Digits (NCC-#####) era of StarShip and Project scopes & build orders got so huge that it was more feasible to re-use old NCC values from lost ships or names of ships that were retired.

Praetor and BK613 like this.
  17. Citiprime

Citiprime Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Honestly, this line of thinking could probably also apply to stardates.

They're sorta sequential and make sense within a given series (e.g., TNG era, advancing 1,000 stardate = 1 year). But trying to apply that uniformly across all of Star Trek to figure out the corresponding Gregorian calendar dates falls apart rather quickly.

Henoch and BK613 like this.
  18. BK613

BK613 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Yeah and other scenarios exist as well. Matt Jefferies design-plus-hull-number scheme, block numbering based on shipyards, mothballed hulls recommissioned with new names and numbers because the old names had passed on to newer ships, etc.
    Just as long as the whole thing is sufficiently bureaucratic and messy enough to cover every contingency.

Praetor likes this.
  19. Macintosh

Macintosh Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Hell, we also have direct on-screen evidence from the second Defiant that registry numbers can be reused without any alphabetical suffixes at all. Just to add a whole new layer of complexity and confusion.

Praetor likes this.
  20. B.J.

B.J. Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

My head canon for this - officially the registry for the new Defiant was the same as the Sao Paulo, but they changed it on the hull just to thumb their noses at the Dominion.

Tiran O'Saurus likes this.