What happened to Star Trek Magazine

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by DrBeverly, Jul 9, 2021.

1. KRAD

KRAD Keith R.A. DeCandido Admiral

I could be misremembering, as it was more than two decades ago, but I believe that there was a concern about rights issues to the term Edoan, so they coined a new term for the species. It turned out later not to be an issue, but Triexian was already established by that point.

2. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

Huh. Rights issues cause a lot of weirdness.

3. Reanok

Reanok Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Thanks Arvo Arrow I talked to Titan magazines on the phone they sent the magazine but I never received it must've gotten lost in the mail or someone else got it by mistake and kept it. They're going to send me another magazine as a replacement.I hope I get it this time.

Avro Arrow and Markonian like this.
  4. Ensign_Rowan_McGrath

Ensign_Rowan_McGrath Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Has anyone got Star Trek Explorer (Nov 2022), particularly the story "The Expert"? It depicts what happened to the Mediterranean-class starship U.S.S. Lalo (NCC-43837) during the events of "The Best of Both Worlds". I'm kinda in a Wolf 359 craze atm.

CaptChris42 likes this.
  5. Therin of Andor

Therin of Andor Admiral Moderator

I reckon that the Triexians are a lost, then refound, Edosian colony.

The Caitians (and the Lynx constellation) were spelled out, as relating to M'Ress, in the TAS Writers' Guide (same as the TOS guide but with a few extra pages - and even a little hand-drawn map showing the location of Cait in the galaxy), and Bjo Trimble used that document, plus scripts and episode viewings, in her "Star Trek Concordance", even though no script with that M'Ress background info was actually completed. There were supposedly plans for the info to be in a script that did not progress to final draft.

Arex was given neither a species name nor planet name in the TAS Writers' Guide. It seems the terms were coined by Alan Dean Foster for the "Star Trek Logs" -- or whomever wrote the Arex and M'Ress biography pamphlets sold by Lincoln Enterprises. "Star Trek Maps" (Bantam 1980) gave Edos the stellar nomenclature of [edit…] 92-Trianguli-Rho. (I suppose PAD continued that gag with Triexian?)

I am guessing that Peter David used the material from the Concordance, rather than the "Logs" or biographies. Hence, he had "Cait" and "Caitian"" but not "Edos" and "Edoan".

I learned about the existence of the TAS Writers Guide from former TrekBBS member, The God Thing, who used to post here. He found it quite randomly in a reference library in the USA.

Yep, that is my memory of it, too.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2024
    Avro Arrow likes this.
  6. Christopher

Cait was identified with the real star 15 Lyncis in Star Trek Maps, if not earlier. Choosing a constellation with a feline name just compounds the contrivance, similarly to the choices to put Sauria at Psi Serpentis and the Gorn at Tau Lacertae (Lacerta being the Lizard constellation).

Rather, 92 Trianguli-Rho, a conjectural star in the same constellation as Gamma Trianguli from "The Apple." Although the Flamsteed designations (number + genitive constellation name) for the stars in Triangulum only go up to 15 Tri (it's a small constellation), with the stars discovered since then being given more modern catalog names. The appended "Rho" is gibberish as far as I can tell.

Therin of Andor likes this.
  7. Therin of Andor

But "Cait in the Lynx constellation" was how it was worded in the TAS Writers Guide, IIRC.

Sorry, left out the "92" in my post.

8. Christopher

And misspelled "Trianguli."

9. Avro Arrow

Avro Arrow Vice Admiral Moderator

Any worse than “Ceti Alpha”? :lol:

“92 Trianguli-Rho” just sounds like someone knew some Bayer designation names, and some Flamsteed designation names, didn’t know how they worked, and just jumbled them together.

CaptChris42 likes this.
  10. Christopher

In other words, like many fake star names in Trek. The laziest are when they just slap Greek letters and numbers together, like "Beta III" or "Omicron Theta."

Avro Arrow likes this.
  11. Therin of Andor

Sorry, my “Star Trek Maps” just celebrated a decade in storage and its driving me crazy!

12. Christopher

There's a PDF scan of it available, which I tend to consult so that I don't have to take out my deteriorated physical copy and damage it further.

13. Therin of Andor

Yes, I know. I am sure "Memory Alpha" also has it all covered re spellings. I think I even did some of the edits there.

14. GeekFilter

GeekFilter Commander Red Shirt

It's Edoisan. Rich Handley uses that in his story and I've used it in the Star Trek: The Animated Series Supplement for Star Trek Adventures.

We're trying to avoid Triexian (which was a pointless name change) since it is mostly only used in the non-canonical New Frontier series. StarTrek.com uses Edosians, Edosians is in the official TAS style guide, and even though it hasn't been mentioned in the show by a character, Mike McMahan and crew calls them Edosians.

15. Mage

Mage Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Is that something that is available to the public, or something that was only released for the writers?

16. Christopher

I didn't get it in my capacity as a writer, since it isn't an official reference. It's online somewhere. It was probably a fellow member of this very BBS who sent me the link, but I don't remember who.

Mage likes this.
  17. Mage

Mage Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Found it! Thanks for the tip!

18. Avro Arrow

Avro Arrow Vice Admiral Moderator

Soooo... I received an email today containing the digital supplement for issue 10. So it appears they still sent me two copies this time after all, just this time they sent them three weeks apart! :wtf:

19. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

Just had a TOS story approved for issue #12. Not sure if it will be in the print edition or the digital supplement.

DonIago and Avro Arrow like this.
  20. David Mack

David Mack Writer Rear Admiral

^ I'm waiting on confirmation from the editor, but I also expect to have a story in issue #12 (and, like Greg, I don't know if it'll be print or digital-only). I've also had stories commissioned for issues 11, 13, and 14, the last of which I'm working on now.

ryan123450, Avro Arrow and Greg Cox like this.