Wachowskis in the Running to Direct Justice League Movie

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Dream, Aug 27, 2012.

1. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

Sure, they can do the fights; that's not the issue. All the splashy action in the world won't make a superhero movie effective unless the characters are solid and engaging and the plot is reasonably coherent -- unless we care about why they're fighting.

2. Locutus of Bored

Locutus of Bored Yo, Dawg! I Heard You Like Avatars... In Memoriam

Yes, because clearly I was saying "forget quality characterization and plot, let's make it all about the fights," even though the fight was only one part of what I said and it was more about them understanding the scope of what a superhero movie should be like than saying "do that exact thing again." I also mentioned them having a good understanding of the trappings of the genre. Obviously it's a matter of opinion, but I think the Wachowskis have handled characterization, at least, quite well. Plot may be another matter (personally I thought the first two Matrix films were great and only the third took a dive, and V for Vendetta was good as well).

3. Captaindemotion

Captaindemotion Admiral Admiral

^To be fair, you didn't actually mention character or plot in your previous post.

4. Captain Craig

Captain Craig Vice Admiral Admiral

If they just direct I'd find them capable. That's all that's on the table, right, directing?
    Matrix & V for Vendetta are two great films, the latter of which is under appreciated. Or was at release at least and bashed then.

5. Agenda

Agenda Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

They didn't actually direct V for Vendetta. They produced it and did the screenplay...based on Alan Moore's work.

6. Locutus of Bored

Locutus of Bored Yo, Dawg! I Heard You Like Avatars... In Memoriam

Yes, I did. I didn't literally say the words, but that's what I was talking about when I was establishing their genre credentials and understanding of comic lore, their updating of Robin Hood and how that can relate to telling the story of Green Arrow, and the (rough) similarities between Batman and Vendetta.

7. Captaindemotion

^It may be what you meant but you did tend to emphasise the Neo/Smith fight more so than you did any aspect of plot or character. I thought Christopher's response was fair enough, in the circumstances. But you've made it clear that you find plot and character important, that's cool. We're all on the same page.

8. Christopher

I haven't seen V for Vendetta or their updating of Robin Hood. I really only know them from the Matrix films, and as I think I said above, their biggest mistake with the latter two of those was focusing too much on action to the detriment of story. So their action credentials are not going to persuade me they have what it takes.

9. JarodRussell

JarodRussell Vice Admiral Admiral

V for Vendetta is two stylized hours of Hugo Weaving rambling on and on behind a mask while Natalie Portman looks pretty. I never saw any real substance in it.

10. Set Harth

Set Harth Vice Admiral Admiral

Jonah Hex.

11. Captaindemotion

No-one has, it's an unmade script. Nothing's been heard of it in over a year, as far as I can tell. So it hardly helps us assess their ability to make a JL movie.

12. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

Speed Racer

13. Christopher

Haven't seen that either; I've heard mostly bad things about it.

14. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

Good point. It's worth noting that V for Vendetta was actually directed by James McTeigue, not the Wachowskis.

Last edited: Aug 28, 2012
  15. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

16. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Right, because everyone loved his last superhero movie.:rolleyes: (Ok, I'll be honest here, I actually like The Last Stand, but I seem to be very much in the minority there).

17. JarodRussell

JarodRussell Vice Admiral Admiral

Joss Whedon should do it. That would be funny. ;)

18. Christopher

I liked it too; it had some nice directorial touches. And the problems with the story were locked in before Ratner even came onboard, and indeed a lot of the movie's problems come from the fact that he was brought in late and given very little time. So he's given a larger share of the blame for the film's problems than he deserves, and he still managed to produce a film that, while seriously flawed, was still reasonably entertaining.

Still, I'm not familiar enough with the rest of his body of work to assess whether he'd be a good choice.

19. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

Only if Warners was willing to wait until 2018 for him. Whedon doing Justice League is impossible right now because of his contract with Marvel.

20. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral