Uniforms in the new series

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Discovery' started by Shalashaska, Mar 10, 2016.

1. Cake

Cake Captain Captain

That outfit looks really good. Where is the pic from?

2. T'Girl

T'Girl Vice Admiral Admiral

It's a Donna Karan dress from last summer, I photoshopped in the insignia and rank pips. I also fatten up the model by twenty percent, personally I can't stand "heroin chic."
    Men and women do have decidedly different shaped bodies, also given that Starfleet personnel obviously have leeway in hair style and cosmetics, why not some allowance in daily apparel?

There would pretty much have to be dress variations for Starfleet personnel who weren't Humanoid. About three and a half years ago I created Ensign Doh-chil, she is approximately two and a half meters long and from a quasi-millipede insect species. A Human uniform wouldn't suit her at all, with all those arms and legs.

There might also be considerations made for the standards and cultural norms of the societies that the various crewmember came from. The male crewmember we saw in a skirt, early in TNG, could be an example of that.

+

3. fireproof78

fireproof78 Fleet Admiral Admiral

Personally, I have always liked the division colors, and I hope that stays. Also, jumpsuits would be good for utility jobs, but I think two piece would be better for a duty uniform (Class B).

Does anyone else, besides me, want to see some kind of armor for Security personnel?

4. intrinsical

intrinsical Commodore Commodore

I kinda like Star Trek Online's "Odyssey" uniforms.

[​IMG]

Captain Fine and JTShanks like this.
  5. Takeru

Takeru Space Police Commodore

I'm for different uniform variants including skirts, I just don't want them limited. Skirts? Yes, please! Skirts for women only? Hell no!

6. Tesophius

Tesophius Captain Captain

Do you mean that you want some male cross-dressers wearing skirts on the show?

7. Takeru

No, that's exactly what I don't want! I want skirts to be a viable option for everyone without men wearing them being considered cross dressers.
    Was Deanna Troi a crossdresser because she wore pants?
    A skirt in itself is not "girl stuff", it is usually viewed like that in our sexist western society (although even there we have exceptions like in scotland) but worldwide they're clearly not and in an interstellar organization it makes even less sense.

These men chose the skirt option for their work uniform during the summer (which was encouraged by their bosses and used in advertisements to break down barriers), that's not crossdressing, that's simply wearing a skirt.
    [​IMG]

8. RAMA

RAMA Admiral Admiral

Last edited: Mar 13, 2016
  9. T'Girl

T'Girl Vice Admiral Admiral

I would, but not as daily wear uniform. A few things, if they are wearing armor then I want it to work, as in they can be shot and there's no effect, not like in Star Wars where a stormtrooper got taken down by a tiny Ewok arrow.

Having armor might get in the way of the storytelling, they can't be easily hurt while in armor, so if you need a character to be easily hurt they can't be wearing armor.

Also, there's the practical consideration that believable scifi armor would likely be expensive.

[​IMG]
    Would this necessarily be wrong?

Depends, unless the man is wearing something that is culturally significant (kilt, sarong, etc) then it likely is crossdressing. The men (western culture?) in the photo for example do seem to be crossdressing.

This is from someone who began crossdressing in my mid-teens.

+

10. Tesophius

No, there's nothing inherently wrong with cross dressing, but there's had to be a meaningful background explanation into the character, why he chose to be a cross dresser, and it has to be meaningful enough to be interesting and relevant in a Star Trek universe. I understand that partially what Star Trek is about, is breaking barriers, confronting racism and discrimination, but if you want to make a point now in 2016, it'd have to be more radical and shocking than that. Especially with what we now know about technological trends and have a better idea of what the future holds for us.

For instance, I'd rather have a character that, for instance, chose to replace his/her body with an artificial one, apart from the nervous system, with various enhancements. This would be both interesting in a sci-fi way and also be confronting the ongoing debates about what it means to be human.

11. Takeru

The picture's from germany.

It would only be crossdressing if we consider skirts to be inherently female pieces of clothing which is something I reject, because they're not.
    Is Deanna Troi crossdressing because she's in pants most of the time? No? Then what's the difference with men wearing skirts? I'll tell you what it is, the difference is simply society being used to seeing women in pants but not men in skirts and that's a pretty weak argument against it especially because we are talking about a futuristic, super tolerant utopia.
    They had the right idea in the 80s when they put men in skants, the problem with that was that the skants looked silly on both men and women, there's a reason they were dropped fast.

It doesn't have to be meanimgful at all. There doesn't have to be an explanation beyond the character liking to wear skirts occasionally or regularly, it doesn't even have to be mentioned, it can just be assumed if he wears a skirt.

Captain Fine likes this.
  12. RAMA

RAMA Admiral Admiral

This is what we've seen so far.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

13. Tesophius

If it's not meaningful, then why skirts, why not a clown costume or he can dress up as a vampire? I think Star Trek should still retain some basic properties of a novel, such as that everything must have a meaning.

14. Longinus

Longinus Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Ha, Shalashaska found my ancient uniform designs! I still kinda like those for early 24th century era. They were designed so that one could still use the movie maroon jackets as dress uniforms. I opted for grey instead of red for the main colour of the standard uniforms though. I've always felt that grey would be a good colour for Trek uniforms and would like to see it used more.

As for skirts, TNG skirts were unisex:
    [​IMG]

TheSubCommander likes this.
  15. STEPhon IT

STEPhon IT Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I loved seeing the men wearing those dresses, but the boots needed to be form fitting and above the calves.

16. Galileo7

Galileo7 Commodore Commodore

Agree. Hope they get it right.

17. Ar-Pharazon

Ar-Pharazon Admiral Premium Member

Does the helmet do anything when they get disintegrated?

18. STEPhon IT

STEPhon IT Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Those helmets remind me of Romulan guards.

19. Lynx

Lynx Vice Admiral Admiral

The TNG uniforms or the DS9/Voyager uniforms!

20. MANT!

MANT! Vice Admiral Admiral

Reminds me of Duck Dogers and his disintegration proof vest..