Tron 3 is coming (and Garrett Hedlund is confirmed to come back)

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Mach5, Dec 13, 2012.

1. 137th Gebirg

137th Gebirg Admiral Premium Member

Hell, I just want to get Tron: Uprising on Blu-Ray!

2. Beagleman

Beagleman Commodore Commodore

I would love a third Tron but the whole programs in the real world never really worked for me.

3. Reverend

Reverend Admiral Admiral

I don't know, I think it's a pretty logical progression from where Legacy left off, especially since the alternative would probably just be to repeat the same basic plot of the first two movies. Whether or not it's any good would depend on the execution.
    Personally I like the idea of hopping back and forth between different grids and the real world. I think it has the potential to be very interesting if only from a visual standpoint.

4. Morpheus 02

Morpheus 02 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Well, I think the only alternative to the digital invading the real world would be somehow visually creating a computer world with the cloud, and how that might be interpreted in today's world of the web.

Maybe back then, you could say programs are just one individual being, residing in just one place... but with the web...it would take some creative thinking, but might be a way to represent it cinematically.

5. Reverend

Reverend Admiral Admiral

It's an interesting concept, but one better suited to a TV show format to fully explore. With the other two movies the isolated systems allowed for more contained storytelling with easy to grasp stakes. I think one would be hard pressed to come up with a compelling conflict on which to base a movie using just "the web as a multiverse" as a basis.

I think for a movie it would work better as suggested as just an element of a larger story about worlds colliding in a very literal sense.

6. Morpheus 02

Morpheus 02 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I can see why you would say a TV would be better. we would definitely need more time to see how such a world would work.

... I am just thinking budget-wise, though, to make it look good..it would need a major movie budget to blow our minds away.

And story wise -- I am not sure how a digital army in the real world would work (Would they have magical" powers to make them invincible. What might make sense is that Tron 2.0 world now getting into the internet, and creating havoc that way...and because it's the internet, and the programs are alive... they could do all kinds of mayhem all over the world. And then plant "viruses: for future sequels.

7. Reverend

Reverend Admiral Admiral

Now that I think about it, wasn't this basically the plot to 'Reboot' in the second or third season?

For live action sure, but I think animation would be very well suited for this kind of thing.

Keep in mind that Tron has always been pure fantasy, just with technology acting as a stand-in for magic. So yeah, I imaging they would pretty much exist in our world as they do in their's just as the Flynns remained physically human while on the grid. Kevin Flynn even aged in pace with the real world while stuck inside, despite his subjective experience of the time being something like a thousand years. The key difference would be that they wouldn't be able to interact with our environment the way they can with their's so vehicles not designed to work off the grid would be pretty much useless.

8. C.E. Evans

C.E. Evans Admiral Admiral

According to the Hollywood Reporter, Jared Leto is in talks for a Tron reboot/sequel/reimagining.
    http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/he...eto-circling-lead-role-new-disney-film-982575

I'll believe it when I see it.

END OF LINE

9. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Interesting, but if it came down to a reboot or the above discussed third movie, I'd rather get the third movie.

Hound of UIster likes this.
  10. C.E. Evans

Yeah, I'd rather see the third movie myself. According to the HR article, though, the proposed film will use elements from the tabled third movie script anyway (likely the idea of the Grid invading the real world, IMO).

11. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

So who's Leto going to play? Dillinger Jr.?

12. C.E. Evans

A proposed new character named Ares from the original Tron 3 script.

13. marillion

marillion Vice Admiral Admiral

This is definitely something I don't want to see re-booted.. At least not yet.. The "mythos" of Kevin Flynn needs resolution... We need an end-cap on the original story and we need Bruce back as Tron in full form, not an evil minion of Clu...

shapeshifter and 137th Gebirg like this.
  14. publiusr

publiusr Admiral Admiral

Turtletrekker likes this.
  15. The Nth Doctor

The Nth Doctor Infinite Possibilities... Premium Member

Ugh, why? There's no need to reboot the franchise. And why Jared Leto? Ugh.

Jedi_Master likes this.
  16. C.E. Evans

From what I understand from the article, it's less about continuing the story of Tron and more about Disney creating a vehicle specifically for Leto that already has something of an audience, but could be built into a larger one. But, IMO, all of this is little more than just an idea at this stage, with nothing really nailed down yet (including Leto's involvement).

17. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

The article I read on IGN confused me. It called it a reboot, but then said it would use the the concept for Tron 3 as it's backbone. I can see two possibilities, either it's a reboot that just jumps right to the digital world invading the real world without all of the stuff the original two gave us on The Grid, or it's moving the story forward, but with a new hero.

18. The Nth Doctor

That's part of what bugs me: Disney appears to be more concerned about creating a product for an actor than they are creating a good story to tell.

19. C.E. Evans

It's the tried and true old Hollywood studio system in which many movies were mainly vehicles for various stars.

mos6507 likes this.
  20. The Nth Doctor

Sure...but it doesn't mean I have to like it.