Trek's lowest moment

Discussion in 'General Trek Discussion' started by F. King Daniel, Feb 24, 2014.

1. Drone

Drone Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I suppose it doesn't materially effect your contention, but it was actually high school.:techman:

2. Victory Is Life

Victory Is Life Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

Lowest moment? What does God need with a starship? Row row row your boat? Sybok? I dig holes? Three tit catwoman? 80-year old Uhura dancing to distract enemies? photon torpedo yields comparable to hand grenades? David Warner in Star Trek 5? William Shatner with creative control of Star Trek 5? Star Trek 5? Oh, and mayyybe, Armus...

3. Delta Vega

Delta Vega Commodore Commodore

Marginally, yes

4. Sindatur

Sindatur The Gray Owl Wizard Admiral

Why do so many people refer to Uhura as being 80? She wouldn't even have been 57 until December 28, 1989.

Wasn't the OK Corral in Space, pulled out of their minds, as well as Lincoln? I really don't think those belong on the list with the others

5. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

If you went back to the early 1900's and told them that by 2010 almost everyone would carry with them a small flat box, which could instantly communicate with anyone in the world and access virtually the sum total of human knowledge, but that they mostly used them to look at funny pictures of cats and argue about old TV shows, I think they'd react the same way you do to Daniels' comment about schoolchildren in the year 3000.

6. OpenMaw

OpenMaw Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

That was a very absurd moment. Yeah. Let's just let kids mess up the past. Sure.

7. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

I don't know. I absolutely agree that TFF is the bottom of the barrel as far as the movies go, but worse than, say, "The Alternative Factor" or "The Way to Eden"?

Not sure I can go there . . .

8. JirinPanthosa

JirinPanthosa Admiral Admiral

If you could use iPhones to break all of time we wouldn't entrust them to young children.

9. Greg Cox

Then again, you have the folks on the other side who go overboard insisting that the Double Down isn't even an edible food product and that anybody who actually likes it has no idea what a "real" burger tastes like and has completely unsophisticated taste buds to boot:)

And then, of course, there are the folks who insist that nobody really likes the Double Down and that anyone who claims they do are just trying to be "kewl" and trendy. Because they can't seem to imagine that anyone might actually be open to a new item on the menu.

(Sorry. Couldn't resist working this burger analogy myself!)

10. Melakon

Melakon Admiral In Memoriam

What the hell is a Double Down? Something from In-N-Out, which I've never been to?

11. Greg Cox

Honestly, I have no idea. I'm more of Subway Sandwich guy.

12. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

^ May be referring to this.

Looks revolting, BTW. :barf:

13. Melakon

Agreed. :barf:

A chicken filet and cheese is not a cheeseburger in my book. Unfortunately, as much as I love cheeseburgers, I can't get one without taking the bus or train, so I usually do without. I've not had one yet this year.

14. BigJake

BigJake Vice Admiral Admiral

^ Apologies. I should've tagged that term with a warning...

15. Melakon

We'll let it slide for now. ;)

16. 2takesfrakes

2takesfrakes Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Another of TREK's Lowest Moments is when the fans tried so desperately to save it in ENTPERISE form, by putting up the ca$h - based on the previous seasons' expenses - to pay the bills for a whole, other season and CBS said, "... we'd still rather not." This was completely without precident, that I was ever aware of, in all of television history. FANS offering to pay to have their show kept on the air? It's unheard of!

Personally, I can't think of a bigger "F.U." to the fans than that! ENTERPRISE was just "OK," in my opinion. I couldn't care less how many seasons it had, or who fronted the ca$h for it. But that kind of love and devotion should've been responded to, in kind. Yes, the ratings were lackluster, up til the end, but those people are going to want to get their money's worth by watching it, religiously, since they paid for it. Maybe CBS was afraid of what kind of effect that kind of arrangement might've had on advertising revenue. Still, it can't count as one of CBS' prouder moments ...

17. Cyke101

Cyke101 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

On the plus side, it could be seen as a precurser to crowdsource funding like Kickstarter, albeit unintentionally, for shows and movies by fan demand like Veronica Mars. So the fans might not have been successful in saving Trek, but in their own way helped pave the road for future ventures. Bad moment for Trek, good moment for new business models for entertainment.

(side note: I'm quite impressed that Veronica Mars was made for $5 million from fans, and made $2 mil in its opening weekend. Many gigantic studio movies wish they had that kind of percentage return for opening weekend)

18. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

One would assume there are some safeguards in place, in much the same way we can't use our phones to readily access nuclear launch codes or weapon blueprints, or call the President of the US any time we feel like it.

19. 2takesfrakes

2takesfrakes Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Power to the People! That's what's up! And it's about time, too. It was in the fans hands, all along, there's just been this disconnect, the whole time. It always comes down to the fans' money, anyway, with ticket $ales and buying from advertisers. It's a good thing that various kinds of fans have found this avenue to take more direct control of that money-flow, to assign the kinds of shows they really want to see.

The potential abuses for that kind of thing are a continued concern for me, however. But people work hard for their money and they shouldn't have to come home and try to be entertained by half-assed, lesser of the evils bullshit. And yeah, if STAR TREK fans started this ball rolling of controlling how certain entertainment gets funded, it's another vindicaiton for our devotion to this franchise ...

20. Drone

Drone Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

It may have been mentioned previously, but February 17, 1969 (pretty sure that's correct) the day that NBC announced TOS cancellation. While syndication plans were soon afoot, I don't think that there could have been too many folks believing then that any further development of the program, in any form of mass media, was ever likely to be in the offing.:(