TMP wormhole scene--how it should've ended.

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies I-X' started by martok2112, Aug 17, 2014.

1. LMFAOschwarz

LMFAOschwarz Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

By the way, Captrek, I neglected to mention that your avatar is mesmerizing!

:eek: [​IMG] :eek:

2. Captrek

Captrek Vice Admiral Admiral

Thanks!

3. Avro Arrow

Avro Arrow Okie dokie! Moderator

I think this makes the most sense, since they've pretty much gone into warp immediately after breaking orbit every time before and since.

In TVH, they even went to warp *while still within Earth's atmosphere*, which you'd think would be really, really bad, but apparently isn't.

4. Silvercrest

Silvercrest Vice Admiral Admiral

I remember reading some fanfic back in the 1980s that tortuously interpreted the scene as "two objects traveling at exactly the same speed with exactly opposite (i.e. converging) trajectories will create a sympathetic resonance in subspace which causes a wormhole to open between them ... you can only close the wormhole by destroying one or both of the objects".

I think it made more sense back in the day. Ah, the '80s ....

5. LMFAOschwarz

LMFAOschwarz Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I didn't know there was Voyager fanfic back in the 80's. :lol:

6. Marsden

Marsden Commodore Commodore

That's what I was thinking, but that's not what was said. We've never seen them drive out to the orbit of the furthest planet at impulse and then start the warp drive, why should this matter here. Now if he said, we have to use the warp drive before it's tuned, or some other word, but not the location, I wouldn't even mention this. It makes me wonder how fast Enterprise was going, though in that "wormhole". They seemed to be well out of the Solar System when the asteroid was destroyed. But I might be remembering that last part wrong. I have to watch it again.

7. trekshark

trekshark Captain Captain

That's how I remember it too but I don't remember the exact wording during the scene

8. RyanKCR

RyanKCR Vice Admiral Admiral

I'm not so sure. The novelization (I know, not official) says that a piece of the asteroid hit the Enterprise and knocked it out of warp. Had there been no asteroid then the Enterprise would have dropped out of warp on its own.
    Decker: "Negative control from inertial lag will continue 22.5 seconds before forward velocity slows to sublight speed."

9. austen_pierce

austen_pierce Captain Captain

Just checked the DE and the destruction of the asteroid and the fallout of warp are still pretty closely tied together.

10. Captrek

Captrek Vice Admiral Admiral

But not instantaneous. In the original, the wormhole effect is gone when the asteroid explodes (apparently because they didn't complete an effect for the asteroid exploding inside the wormhole). In the DE, the wormhole effect continues for a couple of seconds or so.

11. PCz911

PCz911 Captain Captain

I misheard deckers line as:

Belay that phaser HORS D'OEUVRE

Ok, seriously , rewatch and listen.....

12. Ithekro

Ithekro Vice Admiral Admiral

This is followed almost immediately by the report of an object in Enterprise's path. They attempt a few things very quickly. No ability to change course, and the navigation deflector failed. Impact was at 20 seconds when Kirk orders them to fire phasers. They fire torpedo with four seconds left to impact.

13. martok2112

martok2112 Commodore Commodore

With the audio disruptions, I can totally get that.

Arm the photon torpedo main course! :)

14. drt

drt Commodore Commodore

The novel doesn't explicitly state that the piece knocked it out of the wormhole, just that chunks of it were hitting the Enterprise as they dropped out, which fits the timing ot the "inertial lag" bit you mentioned.

15. RyanKCR

RyanKCR Vice Admiral Admiral

I must have read more into it. Here is the passage that lead me to believe that:
    "...Then a final huge asteroid fragment hit very hard, jarring the entire starship, as if in one last try at its destruction.

"We're out of it!" It was a relieved shout from Checkov, his words undistorted now...."

Last edited: Aug 21, 2014
  16. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

I always just figured the explosion from the asteroid destabilized the warp field, and the "wormhole" was a weird fluke created by untested engines.

17. austen_pierce

austen_pierce Captain Captain

Yep, thanks for pointing that out. I don't think I'd ever noticed that particular DE tweak.