TMP Uniforms

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies I-X' started by Bry_Sinclair, May 12, 2012.

1. C.E. Evans

C.E. Evans Admiral Admiral

I can't think of any Starfleet costume that a Trek actor hasn't regarded as being uncomfortable (usually because of how tight or hot they are).

2. Bry_Sinclair

Bry_Sinclair Vice Admiral Admiral

That is very true.

One of the things I liked about them was that there were different styles and cuts that the crew could choose from. They could make themselves individual whilst still in uniform.

The TWOK uniforms, though far more iconic always looked OTT to me. The fact that when in front of the Federation President they didn't need a new dress uniform kinda proves my point.

I'd love to have seen more of the TMP uniforms, maybe brighter coloured and throw in a few additional styles as well (whose to say they got rid of the miniskirts?).

3. Gotham Central

Gotham Central Vice Admiral Admiral

The miniskirts needed to go. They made the women look less professional. Hell the TMP uniform shirt Uhura wore covered her more than her old mini.

If they wanted a "skirt" option they could have simply included a longer version of the shirt that went to the knee that came in at the waist.

4. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

Right. Onscreen clothes are designed to look good on camera, and actor comfort is a lower priority.

5. Bry_Sinclair

Bry_Sinclair Vice Admiral Admiral

6. Nighthawk

Nighthawk Ensign Red Shirt

I for one disliked them.

Now if their colors were darker and the lighted differently on the set then they would be been precieved differently.

It was a novel idea to have "jump suits" but just did work out.

I did like Ilea's rob though..... for a long time as a kid that was all I could remember from the slumber of a movie and the klingons.

I saw it opening weekend and also remember it was one of the coldest days New York that Demember.

7. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

In the first publicity photos McCoy definitely had a disco shirt thing going on with the collar points of his tunic. When production started Fletcher had simply cut the points off of the thing.

I liked Kirk's "white teeshirt" variation the best of any of the tunics. I don't suppose it hurt that they seemed to have filmed those scenes with him during the 2.7 weeks of the shoot that he was in really good shape and at a low weight. :lol:

8. doubleohfive

doubleohfive Fleet Admiral

[​IMG]

Stop. Just... stop. This is the most overused excuse for just about every occasion someone gets called out for anything on this board.

9. Captaindemotion

Captaindemotion Admiral Admiral

I've just never cared for them. Too bland and dull by far.

I've often heard them explained away on the basis that the original colour scheme of the tv series wouldn't have worked on the big screen and would have been too garish. However, I think that the 2009 movie showed that this argument is unconvincing. The gold-blue-red shirts, admittedly slightly modified since the original show, worked just fine, IMHO.

10. Uxi

Uxi Commander Red Shirt

These pastel pajamas are horrible. The Admiral uniform (dress or not) was the least egregious.

Oh boy, McCoys disco civvies. :lol:

11. Galileo7

Galileo7 Commodore Commodore

Agree on all points.

12. Galileo7

Galileo7 Commodore Commodore

Agree, the TOS uniforms never looked better than in the 2009 movie slightly modified for the better.

13. Nero's Shadow

Nero's Shadow Captain Captain

Yeah I loved the TMP look always looked good I think the only reason why they never caught on in the second film is that the colours seemed very dull and bland. It would have been better if the TMP unfiorms were gold blue and red like TOS.

14. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

The McCoy disco shirt:

[​IMG]

Also, Spock hasn't been given his black collar yet. A couple of last-minute mods to wardrobe, there.

15. Captaindemotion

Captaindemotion Admiral Admiral

16. SchwEnt

SchwEnt Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I like the part when TOS uniforms were too colorful and bright they look like costumes or pajamas, and then TMP uniforms were too bland and bleh.
    You just can't win.

17. Pauln6

Pauln6 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I rather like dthem, although I agree that Kirk's dress uniform looked the smartes. Maybe a hybrid of the TMP and TNG season 3 uniforms would have been better.

18. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

Never understood the pajamas complaint about TOS. The men wear turtlenecks and slacks. A common fashion combination outside of the bedroom.

19. MikeH92467

MikeH92467 Admiral Admiral

A few years ago someone posted a photoshop version of the ensemble cast picture with the TMP uniforms colored in TOS style. They actually looked sharp in my opinion.

20. Warped9

Warped9 Admiral Admiral

That might have been me. I'll have to look for it.

I did have these ideas:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]