The Roddenberry Archive / OTOY

I'm having a weird bug with static noise being heard in the background while exploring the bridges. Any idea what this could be?
Pretty sure that’s supposed to be the ambient rumble of the ship, just as you would hear it on the shows if you listen closely. That’s a feature, not a bug. ;)

Sometimes I've noticed that the ambient ship noise will kind of skip like the environment is buffering, especially if I'm standing too close to a wall.

Occasionally I've noticed that it'll continue panning around even while you're standing still, but that usually goes away if you refresh the page a couple times.

Yeah I think I got that occasionally, also in games and videos, when it's buffering/loading and also the picture stutters a bit

The Roddenberry Archive received a sizable update today.

Today’s expansion lets fans walk onto the bridge of the U.S.S. Discovery (from Star Trek: Discovery), step into the world of Klingon culture aboard the I.K.S. Amar (the Klingon K’t’inga class battlecruiser seen in the opening of Star Trek: The Motion Picture) and explore the furthest reaches of the Promenade from Star Trek: Deep Space Nine – each with unprecedented levels of visual immersion and historical fidelity.

https://home.otoy.com/thearchiveapril24/

The release is accompanied by an all-new mini-documentary narrated by Armin Shimerman, who played Quark in Star Trek: Deep Space Nine, walking audiences through the creation of the Star Trek: Deep Space Nine using a never before seen virtual recreation of the iconic multi-story Promenade set – the largest interior set ever built for Star Trek, encompassing the entire Stage 17 lot at Paramount Studios.

The Roddenberry Archive is also adding over a half-dozen new iconic Star Trek 3D ship models from every era of the franchise

Marvelous. Wonderful. Stupendous! One of these days I’m going to finish watching one of these Octane-powered videos and start my TOS project up again. Thanks for the inspiration!

That Deep Space Nine video was spectacular. And gosh darn it, it was so good to hear Armin Shimerman‘s enthusiastic voice narrating the stunning visuals. Our lovable human embodiment of Quark really IS a “people person”!

:weep:

Damn, I really do miss tuning in every Saturday afternoon at 6 PM for a new episode of DS9. To this day it is still in my considered opinion the best series in the entire Star Trek franchise — and I include TOS in that ranking. I really do hope that someday, somehow, this groundbreaking show gets the high definition upgrade it desperately needs and so very much deserves. Meanwhile, I shall enjoy the glimpses that we have gotten on the “What We Left Behind” documentary and this remarkable fly-thru video.

OTOY FTW!

One thing I'm curious about, and maybe @Donny and/or @Rekkert can answer this for me...

I love the verisimilitude of having bridges where they used CRTs for the animated displays (the TWOK, TSFS, TFF, and TUC Enterprises, Reliant, Grissom, Excelsior, Enterprise-B, and Defiant) look like actual CRTs complete with the scan lines and curved screen surface. I'm curious why those bridges got the CRT treatment, but Voyager and the FC and INS Enterprise-E bridges don't look that way? What was the artistic decision-making process there?

Simple fact is that it's been on my list for a while to update the Enterprise-E displays to be proper CRTs. I provided those maps as they were when I originally joined the Roddenberry Archive, when I'd gone for a more "idealized" depiction of those displays. I just haven't found the time to update them yet. Hopefully in a future update!

So, is the Roddenberry Archive constructed entirely from schematics and set images or is there "filler" stuff they made up?

And how did they make the Planet of the Titans Enterprise? I thought that never got to the point of bridge design.

So, is the Roddenberry Archive constructed entirely from schematics and set images or is there "filler" stuff they made up?

And how did they make the Planet of the Titans Enterprise? I thought that never got to the point of bridge design.
I don’t want to put words into their mouths and perhaps some of the artists working on the Roddenberry Archive who also post here — @Rekkert, @Donny, @brainbox, @Serin117, @scragnog — will shed some light on their approach, but I think it’s fair to say they are largely a group of dedicated and very talented fans working at a professional level, using floor plans, construction blueprints, schematics, set photos, concept art and meticulous analysis of footage from the various shows and movies — basically everything they can get their hands on — to recreate the most accurate three-dimensional versions of sets and ship models. The mission statement seems to be to present everything as close as possible to how it appeared on the screen and fill any gaps with their best guess as to what would be there if the set was a real, functioning place or if a particular concept had been further worked out. The models you see of the various concepts ship are extrapolations from the various sketches that are available.

The extrapolations of the concept images are quite amazing and faithful to the drawings, IMHO. I think I've only seen one instance where an idealized bridge from TOS took precedence over screen accuracy which is impressive considering all the variations that occurred in TOS due to production changes.

As to this specific design, there’s some info on this inside the archive. To quote:
Bridge Set (Concept)

As portrayed in Star Trek: Planet of the Titans (Production Artwork, 1976)

The interior of the U.S.S. Enterprise, including its command deck, was designed by Ken Adam. It bore resemblance to designs featured in the film Things To Come (1936), designed and directed by William Cameron Menzies. The Roddenberry Archive art team has created a visual rendering based on production art by Adam to show what the bridge set might have looked like had it been constructed.

Here’s the sketch by Ken Adam that the 3D environment is based on. It’s amazing that they actually did that, especially if you consider how rough and abstract Adam’s sketch is. It’s cool that they even left it in black and white. My favorite detail about this one, by the way, is that they made that large glass tube a (functioning) lift to the upper level. Pretty cool.

I’ve been staring at this concept drawing since I was a child and looking at it in my Art of Star Trek book. Seeing it come to life like this is … wild. I’m still can’t quite grasp that they actually did that.

9okfuA7.jpeg

As to this specific design, there’s some info on this inside the archive. To quote:

Here’s the sketch by Ken Adam that the 3D environment is based on. It’s amazing that they actually did that, especially if you consider how rough and abstract Adam’s sketch is. It’s cool that they even left it in black and white. My favorite detail about this one, by the way, is that they made that large glass tube a (functioning) lift to the upper level. Pretty cool.

I’ve been staring at this concept drawing since I was a child and looking at it in my Art of Star Trek book. Seeing it come to life like this is … wild. I’m still can’t quite grasp that they actually did that.

9okfuA7.jpeg
I remember the lift functioning when they rolled out the "preview" version of the archive last year, but it doesn't seem to be working for me since they relaunched. Have you noticed that as well?

In addition to what Michael said, Im curious about how far into conjecture they intend to go. We know there was a bowling alley, but there is no concept art to draw from. I also remember Donny putting together a bathroom for Kirks Quarters, but we can't open that door.

I remember the lift functioning when they rolled out the "preview" version of the archive last year, but it doesn't seem to be working for me since they relaunched. Have you noticed that as well?
Huh, interesting. I just checked and you are right, the lift doesn’t work anymore. The doors won’t even open like they do on other turbolifts in the archive. Curious why they changed that. Maybe that was an area where people somehow got stuck or something like that? Perhaps @Jules / OTOY can shed some light on this.

In addition to what Michael said, Im curious about how far into conjecture they intend to go. We know there was a bowling alley, but there is no concept art to draw from. I also remember Donny putting together a bathroom for Kirks Quarters, but we can't open that door.
Maybe this is just me, but I hope they have as much fun with it as they can and recreate everything they ever dreamt about recreating, even if it’s wild conjecture of stuff we’ve never seen on the screen. I think my personal “line in the sand” so to speak would be changing stuff that was clearly seen on screen, like for example the extra wide main bridge screen that @brainbox added to some versions of his Voyager project I’ve seen on YouTube.

I keep wondering what sort of updates we’ll see coming from this project going forward. I just hope it’s able to sustain itself financially so that they keep on adding to it. But also, hopefully there’s some way this amazing effort can be preserved for the future. So much cool online material tends to disappear after a couple of years. And it would be a shame to see this happen to this as well. The Promenade video tribute they released this week got me thinking how brilliant it would be if they created something like this for all the main locations from the various shows and release them as a high-def blu-ray or something like that. Something that won’t just disappear once the server went down for this.

Huh, interesting. I just checked and you are right, the lift doesn’t work anymore. The doors won’t even open like they do on other turbolifts in the archive. Curious why they changed that. Maybe that was an area where people somehow got stuck or something like that?

I can shed some light on this as I was the artist that disabled the lift for the last release.

Essentially, you're right. This lift, as cool as it is, was the source of many a bug, with users getting stuck in the geometry.
Moving the user upwards is easy enough, moving them laterally is easy enough, but moving them upwards and forwards in a confined tube led to all sorts of collision issues that could get close to being very game-breaking.

I haven't given up on finding a way to make it work though! The lift will likely return in all its glory :-)

I can shed some light on this as I was the artist that disabled the lift for the last release.

Essentially, you're right. This lift, as cool as it is, was the source of many a bug, with users getting stuck in the geometry.
Moving the user upwards is easy enough, moving them laterally is easy enough, but moving them upwards and forwards in a confined tube led to all sorts of collision issues that could get close to being very game-breaking.

I haven't given up on finding a way to make it work though! The lift will likely return in all its glory :-)
Oh, thanks so much for chiming in and giving that explanation! That makes sense.

But also, damn, I forgot we have another one of the Roddenberry Archive team onboard here! Sorry about that. Added you to my list upthread. ;)

Let me use this opportunity to say thank you for the outstanding work you guys did on all kinds of elements of this project. This is truly one of the most amazing love letters Trek has ever gotten.

By the way, I got almost stuck the other day making my way up to the top of Quark’s. Some of the tables, stools and stairs are placed so close to one another that it’s easy to get stuck somewhere. Still, had a ton of fun exploring the set. :)

Wonderful bridge :techman:

Is it possible to turn off collision once the user is in the tube or automatically lock them into the center when the lift is moving and unlock them when they are at a stop and the doors open?

I am with Michael in hoping that all this hard work has a long-term plan to be preserved. The servers and other supporting technology won't always be around either because tech moves on and the vendor stops supporting it or the money isn't there anymore to maintain the servers, etc so I hope there is a future plan for keeping it preserved and available.

Back