News The Roddenberry Archive brings every iteration of Star Trek’s USS Enterprise bridge to life

Discussion in 'General Trek Discussion' started by Tuskin38, Apr 27, 2023.

1. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

Looking at this it occurs to me, I could travel to the US and visit the Official Star Trek Set Tour for less than the cost of the Apple Vision Quest to play this in not-even-true-3D:lol:

Utterly stunning work though. Like, this is a virtual museum and the ultimate Star Trek liminal space simulator.

NCC-73515 and publiusr like this.
  2. Cryogenator

Cryogenator Commander Red Shirt

It's not true 3D?

3. VSAFaculty

VSAFaculty Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Amazing. Feels like going home again.

NCC-73515 likes this.
  4. David cgc

David cgc Admiral Premium Member

It looks like the walk-around feature on AVP is in a 2D window, similar to what you see on the website. There does seem to be a pre-rendered static immersive environment that goes along with each location, that part might be in 3D, but I still haven’t seen precisely how 3D those 360 spheres are as a matter of course. It seems most of the built-in ones are meant to be expansive enough that they don’t have to be 3D, everything is far enough away not to affect your depth perception.

5. Cryogenator

Cryogenator Commander Red Shirt

There's a brief clip of a fullscreen mode on X. Is this mode not walkable?
    I think stereoscopy would still look more realistic.
    I don't understand what the volume cubes are nor what extrapolation beyond one cube means, nor how downloading more cubes is better than extrapolating from a single cube.

6. David cgc

The question is how (or if) they account for the user turning their head. You can't just have two spherical panoramas taken three inches apart from each other, because if you turn to the right, the "left eye" view is suddenly the "middle of your head" view, and the "right eye" view is the "top of your nose" view, and they're one in front of the other instead of side-by-side.

I spent some time playing around with the 3D walkthroughs, finally. I noticed the Enterprises-D, -F, and -G had windows you can walk right up to and see a sheer drop instead of where the outside of the ship should be, unlike on the JJ-prise bridges (also, weird that all the screens are off on those), but I figured it was a decision made for consistency with the sets and shows. Until, that is, I walked to the second level of the DS9 Promenade, looked out the window, and saw not just a docking pylon, but Voyager sitting up above me, which was a nice surprise, so maybe there will be more visible sections of ships added beyond the windows. I understand there's a little bit of a tension between recreating the sets as they were and verisimilitude in an environment where you can walk right up to stuff inviting the filling in of blanks and embellishment of details, but, well, I like verisimilitude. I suppose either approach gives us something to talk about (you think that if and when they do the future ATG bridge, they'll change the diagrams of the normal version of the ship?).

Still, this is magnificently inspiring, and I can't wait to see the next stage.

Cryogenator and BK613 like this.
  7. F. King Daniel

It looks like the movement is based on arm gestures? I'm not sure though. In normal VR environments are just like real life, look closer, turn around, walk up to a something, crouch down to look at something low down, try to get up leaning on something that isn't really there, end up in a heap...

8. Quantum21

Quantum21 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

If I were to spend $3500 in another life to buy the Apple VR equipment I'd watch the Trek tour over and over till I drool and need to be fed intravenously.

publiusr likes this.
  9. Tuskin38

Tuskin38 Fleet Admiral Admiral

I didn't realize that TOS had Food Synthesisers until this released, the interact prompt in the rec room calls them that.

So I checked Memory-Alpha, and yep, and then Chrissie's transcripts site, and yeah it was called that on screen.
    All mentions in TOS I just apparently forgot.

You can turn off power to the SNW transporter room using the panels next to each entrance door. Guessing they did that in an episode that I'm forgetting?

The Enterprise-F's plaque is missing, it had one in version 1 from last year, I reported it, apparently that's just a bug.

10. Noname Given

Noname Given Fleet Admiral Admiral

TrekMovie: ‘The Archive’ Star Trek Spatial Experience Released For Apple Vision Pro
    https://trekmovie.com/2024/02/07/th...ial-experience-released-for-apple-vision-pro/
    It's not enough to get me to pickup the Apple Vision Pro for $3500.00; but once AR and VR tech come down to reasonable price levels (if ever) and you don't need to wear 10lbs on your head to use it...

publiusr and Commander Troi like this.
  11. F. King Daniel

You can just go on roddenberry.x.io on a PC for the 2D first person walkaround version. They've said over in the General Trek thread that no current VR headsets and PC's have the power to render it functionally. So one day we'll get it in true VR.

12. The Old Mixer

The Old Mixer Mih ssim, mih ssim, nam, daed si Xim. Moderator

Moved to GTD.

13. 1001001

1001001 Serial Canon Violator Moderator

Merging with the existing thread.

14. F. King Daniel

Just got told on YouTube,

"WebXR will bring some of the content to all headsets via the Web portal."

So it looks like those with cheaper headsets will hopefully get enjoy too!

Commander Troi likes this.
  15. F. King Daniel

So I just noticed the Enterprise-A in Star Trek VI has a key ignition at the top of her astrogator:lol:

Commander Troi likes this.
  16. Tuskin38

Tuskin38 Fleet Admiral Admiral

Aye
    [​IMG]

Best shot we get in ST6 itself I think
    [​IMG]

17. Commander Troi

Commander Troi Geek Grrl Premium Member

18. Macintosh

Macintosh Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

It's a security precaution. Kirk can't steal the Enterprise again if they take the keys off him!

ivypool, Avro Arrow, Firebird and 3 others like this.
  19. David cgc

20. F. King Daniel

publiusr and David cgc like this.