The OFFICIAL STNG-R general discussion thread!

Discussion in 'Star Trek: The Next Generation' started by jefferiestubes8, May 14, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dick_Valentine

Dick_Valentine Commander Red Shirt

So was the picture quality, at the time.

2. JarodRussell

JarodRussell Vice Admiral Admiral

I guess the picture quality on the original film frames was better even at that time. :p

3. Dick_Valentine

Dick_Valentine Commander Red Shirt

So the guy who painted the picture had...really nice brushes and...so colourful paint and only by repainting.....

Oh I give up now, fun though this was! :p

4. JarodRussell

In my opinion, the proper analogy would be that a guy sprays on a wall and someone takes a bad polaroid of it. And then years later someone takes a proper photograph of it.

5. Ian Keldon

Ian Keldon Fleet Captain

Looked pretty darn good to me.

Maybe, but for whatever reason they couldn't go with Eden so they did what they could, and it was more than acceptable to me.

I might rate this argument higher if the model work wasn't so dang static. I got bored with the constant use of the same few "pose" shots of the Enterprise just sitting in the middle of the screen with a hint of starfield movement behind it attempting to give the scene a little "kick".
    If there was any real movement at all from just about ANY model, it was very basic and simplistic. Overall, the FX came out "stuffy" as a result.

And they reused and reused and reused models from the movies to save money. At the time it was the best they could do, and they didn't do a half-bad job. But they can go back in, for example, and use Andy's original Ambassador design. They could give us some new Klingon ships instead of constantly reusing the BoP model, and the beautiful CG Enterprise that they made for "These Are the Voyages". They could finally fix that stupid, inaccurate mock up of the Type 7.They could give us (as they did with TOS-R) a host of new camera angles on all the ships.

As long as it was supervised by the Okudas, Sternbach, et al, I'm confident we would not be disappointed by the results.

6. JarodRussell

The complaints always sound so bad, it makes me wonder how TNG survived 7 seasons.

7. Captain Robert April

Captain Robert April Vice Admiral Admiral

More like someone took a highly detailed photo of the graffiti, then converted it down to a Polaroid, and ran a photocopy of the Polaroid.

We're finally gonna see the initial photograph, after several years of looking at photocopies of Polaroids.

8. bullethead

bullethead Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I think that's precisely the problem. The Eden FX clip looks WAY too much like the stuff from the 60s, retaining the fairly low fidelity look and dynamics of the original shots, while loosing the "feel" of the show. CBS Digital at least managed to get their effects to feel like they fit the tone and dynamics of the show, even if some of the execution was lacking.

To be blunt, no amount of restoration will make up for the amount of stock footage and undynamic VFX shots in most of TNG. That's really the biggest problem with the whole project - restoring the footage will just make all the problems more noticeable since it's all in HD. DS9 at least managed to accomplish more with its motion capture model work and doesn't have the consistency issues TNG has due to the different models.

9. Michael

Michael Good Bad Influence Moderator

10. The Laughing Vulcan

The Laughing Vulcan Admiral Admiral

A question that may have already been answered in the past 100 pages...

But will there be an attempt to alter the colour balance of seasons 1 and 2 to match the later seasons? I've recently been watching the DVDs, and I've just started Season 3. It's as if someone remembered to turn up the colour control. All of a sudden the uniforms look the colours they are supposed to, the visual effects are much more vivid, and the whole thing seems nicely saturated and vibrant. Compared to that, seasons 1 and 2 are faded, almost pastel versions of what the show would eventually be.

11. AviTrek

AviTrek Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I don't think I've seen that addressed directly, but you can probably get a feel for the direction from the trailer. Definitely by the time the sampler disc comes out we'll know what they did. I would imagine they will clean up the film as much as possible, but if the issue is the lighting of the quality of the film used(I believe I read that somewhere), then there may not be much they can do.

12. NewHorizon

NewHorizon Captain Captain

That's where I have to politely disagree. I don't think Eden FX lost the feel of the show...at least not for a demo, which I'm sure they would have refined before finishing the first episode.

I also don't feel like CBS D fit the tone or dynamic of the show...it looked like modern CGI tacked onto a 60's show in so many cases...whereas Eden FX had planned to make the effects look like they were produced on a higher 60's era budget.

13. Michael

Oh no, I hope they don't mess with the dark and moody lighting of the forst two seasons! I much prefer it over the bright and bland cinematography we got later on.

14. AviTrek

AviTrek Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

You know reading some of these arguments, I think some of the people here actually prefer that Greedo now shoots first.

15. 22 Stars

22 Stars Commodore Commodore

lol, there always has to be one (or two).

16. JJohnson

JJohnson Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I would agree with everything except the Ambassador bit. We've already established the Ambassador class's look, so changing it I don't think would work too well. But I agree 100% that it would be great to give us some shots that aren't so re-used and static. That was one of the great things about TOS-R - the variety of the shots, and not just the same 7 shots over and over and over and over and over.... (especially that one through the neck at warp shot, with the stars at a different angle from the ship. that shot irritates me.).

At a bare minimum, I would like to see different establishing shots - warp, orbit, entering orbit, fixed ship scales (Birds of Pray should not be the same size as the Enteprise D), and a few additional ship classes, or change the ship class if it isn't named in the shot to something else other than the Miranda/Excelsior/Oberth reuse, and if there's a battle or the ship should be *moving* in a shot due to dialog indicating so, please change the shot so it does move instead of just sitting there.

Restore yes, but also fix what couldn't be done first time around.

17. Jon1701

Jon1701 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

In later seasons - the colour balance jumps around from show to show.

Season 4 is the worse for it. Check out the colour balance in these four consecutive shows.

Look at the colour of Red Picards uniform

Data's Day

The Wounded

Devils Due

Clues

I mean, some of this may be cinematography but I would be astonished if this wasn't all balanced out in the HD releases.

18. Boris Skrbic

Boris Skrbic Commodore Commodore

Can we please replace the "-R" in the title of this thread with "HD"? The -R suffix already means "Remastered with a capital R", in other words remastered with new VFX on top. This is just TNG in HD.

19. Michael

^ I guess what Vulcan really means is, will they make shots like these ...

[​IMG]

... look more like this ...

[​IMG]

Which, personally, I hope they won't.

20. Skywalker

Skywalker Admiral Admiral

Er, why not? The first one looks nasty. The colors are all screwed up, and the picture's dull and muted. The second one looks great.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.