Terran Empire/Federation Solider uniform or armor.

Discussion in 'General Trek Discussion' started by Mirror Mirror, Oct 28, 2013.

1. Mirror Mirror

Mirror Mirror Commodore Commodore

I am new here and hope this is in the correct place. I am working on an Alt MU, one in which the empire never fell and I am looking to expand some parts of it. As such, Canon is not something I worry over. I am wanting to expand the role of the Terran Marines, If I even keep that name. Star trek however, well its not all that well done when it come to ground forces.

I am thinking at lest they would have some kinda "Flak" vest to hamper energy weapons with some troops having heavy or even power armor.Anyone have thought of this? Or images of what you think such uniform or armor would look like?

2. Captain Jed R.

Captain Jed R. Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

That's Starfleet security armour from the movies, to give you an idea of Trek's previous forays into armour. Your starting point might be something like that, for consistency's sake. Alternatively, you might try something simpler:

[​IMG]

That's a motorcycle jacket, I believe, but the general shapes might inspire a kind of Starfleet armour.

3. Mirror Mirror

I, am unsure I have the words to describe that armor....... I knew trek had some awful, awful armor, but did not recall that one. I lump alot of the gods awful trek props up to budget and age.

I myself, am thinking more along these lines

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Something made to take a hit. Really with as much tech as trek has, armor that can deflect or absorb at lest some of an energy hit has to be doable.

4. Grendelsbayne

Grendelsbayne Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The material certainly exists - the Defiant's entire hull is covered with 'Ablative Armor'. Whether it's a material that's at all feasible in terms of integrating it into a uniform is another question, although certainly a possibility, since the Defiant's hull doesn't really look all that much different than any other ships'.

5. T'Girl

T'Girl Vice Admiral Admiral

What if his opponent aims at his head?

And when we see someone during TOS hit with phaser fire, their whole body is briefly enveloped in a energy "bubble,' so again the head.

^(oo)^

6. Captain Jed R.

Captain Jed R. Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

http://memory-beta.wikia.com/wiki/Hazard_suit

Has Ablative Armour patches. Non-canon, but it's a start.

I think a lot of the point of armour and it's non-prominence is that it breaks when shot because phasers can burn through a lot.

7. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

The armour worn by the Mirror-Abramsverse crew was pretty neat. Click!

8. Mirror Mirror

Along the lines I was thinking, although my timeframe will be a bit before the time of the defiant. The federation held itself back in many aspects, they simply did not make warships. I do agree its possible, after all ship phasers are just upscale massively over powered versions of hand held units.

I am assuming the helm will protect it. The head is also a much smaller target then center mass. Ya have to recall, artiest and movies often leave out helms because of the rule of cool.

I am gonna blaspheme some here. I am not really a fan of TOS and much of it will both look and play out far different then canon. The phasers in TOS were 1960 era rayguns, so the limited FX at the time made them act like folks "Knew" ray guns acted.

TNG era forward they acted more in line(Most times) with lasers, but did crazy stuff as the plot demanded. It also should be pointed out most races use disrupters and not the more powerful phasers. As its energy and a direct attack "beam" weapon, I am not seeing an issue with absorbing some of it.

That is something along what I am thinking yes. Phasers can burn though alot, but only with sustained hits. I think the lack of armor has nothing to do with in setting reasons, but real life ones. Vision about what trek was and budget being the big two.

Not sure its my cuppa, but does look to be panels of some type.