Stuff that make you wonder but not own thread worthy

Discussion in 'Star Trek: The Next Generation' started by JesterFace, Aug 27, 2022.

1. Oddish

Oddish Admiral Admiral

I got a kick out of seeing Jonathan Frakes have a "blink and you'll miss it" part in the teen drama "Clockstoppers", which he directed.

Goofy is an anthropomorphic dog. Pluto is... well, a dog.

I don't think it was meant to make sense.

Richard S. Ta likes this.
  2. tharpdevenport

tharpdevenport Admiral Admiral

This is just after-the-fact franchise changes, which these new Trek shows chose to muddle the history of the prime universe with. If anything, the episode "Star Trek: Deep Space Nine" where they are back in Kirk's time and are shocked to find out that smooth-headed guy is a Klingon and look to Worf for an answer. He just says it is a personal matter and they do not talk about it with outsiders. So, in other words, seeing Worf -- nobody questions his head ridges -- that's a normal Klingon, just as in Kirk's time nobody questions a smooth-headed Klingon -- that's a normal Klingon.

It's just as all after-the-fact writers trying to make things work because TOS didn't have the budget to do what they wanted to do back then.

But even the writer's attempts still create holes themselves.

3. evilchumlee

evilchumlee Captain Captain

Real world, yes. But those things are all part of the story. I'm not particularly interested in the real world reasons, i'm interested in the in-universe stuff. Both (err, all three) types of Klingons exist.

Part of the fun I have with Trek is putting all the pieces together.

Cryogenator likes this.
  4. Oddish

Oddish Admiral Admiral

Humans have multiple races. Why can't Klingons do the same?

5. evilchumlee

evilchumlee Captain Captain

They can... and this is actually the now completely canonical reasoning for the different Romulan looks. Northerner Romulans have the forehead ridge, Southern Romulans are more Vulcan-looking.

My only issue with the Klingons is that the changes are SO dramatic between the three (four, kind of) types, and we exclusively see one single "race" in iterations (save for once in SNW, when there's the updated-DSC style Klingons and at least a few S1 Klingorcs in the background.)

But yeah, at the end of the day I would accept "Idk, different races" over "it's a TV show, nerd." I don't love the different races idea, especially since we have an in-built lore reason to build off that was just outright completely ignored. I prefer to go with DSC Klingorcs being a step in the eventual full cure for the Augment virus, sort of a Klingon engineered "brute force" attempt at a cure that kind of did the reverse, rather than altering their DNA to have human features, the Phase 2 virus mutated into something of a hyper-Klingon, exaggerating damn near everything about their physiology (which in the long run, is still bad, and probably would lead to all manner of health issues).

Commander Troi likes this.
  6. Orphalesion

Orphalesion Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Show me two human ethnicities that look as drastically different as the TOS Klingons and the Discovery Klingons. Yes, humans can look very different from each other, but like completely different species.

Also...where were the smooth headed Klingons and the Disc Orc-style Klingons during all those endless, Klingon-centric episodes in Berman Trek? Always just hiding off camera?

Farscape One likes this.
  7. Oddish

Oddish Admiral Admiral

This is Star Trek. With enough technobabble, you can explain anything.

fireproof78 and Commander Troi like this.
  8. Moviefan2k4

Moviefan2k4 Commander Red Shirt

The "DS9" episode "Trials and Tribble-ations", contains what is probably my favorite example of both a retcon, and a slight bit of technobabble...

Worf: "They are Klingons… and it is a long story."
    O'Brien: "What happened? Some kind of genetic engineering?"
    Bashir: "A viral mutation?"
    Worf: "We do not discuss it with outsiders."

You gotta love desperate screenwriters. ;)

Farscape One likes this.