STID "tracking" for $85-90 million opening [U.S. box office]

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by RAMA, Apr 26, 2013.

1. khan2

khan2 Ensign Newbie

I made a comparison based on the best available public data. If you have additional information on which to base an analysis, be my guest.

2. Sindatur

Sindatur The Gray Owl Wizard Admiral

Of course he doesn't, no one does, that's the point he's trying to make.

There's also Product Placement, TV sales (Domestic and international), DVD/BluRay sales, etc, that all stem from total Box Office, and they will never share that information with us, because it's all gravy.

3. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Admiral

But when your making an analysis while missing a ton of needed information, you're making a poor analysis.

4. KGator

KGator Commander Red Shirt

So what is your point? That its better to make less money more efficiently than more money less efficiently?

So if I came to you and said give me $50 and I'll get you $225 in 6 months or give me $190 and I'll get you $450 in 6 months time you would prefer a lesser return because its a lesser investment?

I don't know . . . it seems to me that if you had the $190 to invest I'd rather make that back with a $260 profit than invest $50 (keeping the other $140 in the bank) and get that back with an extra $175 at the end.

Now clearly this is a simplistic analysis but it would seem like these results show that it takes money to make money. The more you want to make the more you have to spend and the efficiency decreases as the amounts get larger.

5. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

Exactly so.

Picking up on those numbers and using them to go on about "ROI" as if one has figured out something real is a joke. :lol:

6. Admiral Buzzkill

Using the word "analysis" in this context is unnecessarily dignifying it.

7. Out Of My Vulcan Mind

Out Of My Vulcan Mind Vice Admiral Admiral

Monday number: $146,309 for $223,211,320 so far.

8. Belz...

Belz... Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

In a finely-crafted cosmos... of my own making.
    ...followed by a discussion about ratio, as if that was somehow more meaningful.

By that logic, Paramount should have continued to make Friday the 13th movies and nothing else, because the ratio of cost vs gross was very low.

9. Neumann

Neumann Captain Captain

We're getting there!!! :klingon:

It's falling faster than expected. - Mostly because of theatre displacement

10. Borgminister

Borgminister Admiral Moderator

It'll eke out 225 maybe... Go Japan!

11. section9

section9 Commander Red Shirt

Nice to see Trek at the top.

Had the story been more tightly written and better reasoned, and made more sense to the audience, that number might be over 500. That's where word of mouth would have come in.

ST:TWOK did it all by word of mouth and fantastic writing, directing, and filmcraft.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2013
  12. Harvey

Harvey Admiral Admiral

By most accounts, word of mouth on the movie has been great.

13. Kruezerman

Kruezerman Commodore Commodore

Made plenty sense to me, but maybe I'm just crazy.

Like how the crew of the Reliant forgot to count the planets in a system that housed 73 or so mad supermen? Ya know, the ones who tried to capture the Enterprise and kill James Kirk?

Fantastic writing.

14. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Admiral

The Transformers series of films would seem to prove you wrong. I still think it comes down to marketing and such widely scattered release dates across the globe.

15. Therin of Andor

Therin of Andor Admiral Moderator

Yep. Lots of us have gone multiple times, but perhaps there is a section of fandom (and their extended social groups) who didn't go to this new film even once (or definitely not multiple times) because they didn't like Bad Robot's first Trek movie, or were angered by the Khan rumours for this one? Did some other fans blackban the film because it opened outside USA first?

That's probably still only a tiny percentage of the audience who sees the film, but relatives and friends of angry fans may well be easily influenced not to get too excited about an upcoming movie, especially with the vehemence of their rants. Similar to the US situation with "Nemesis" (and that one eventually broke DVD sales records)? I'm sure the leaking of the full script of "Nemesis" to the Internet, and Paramount's denials that it was genuine, generated a lot of resentment of "Nemesis".

TMP, ST IV and "First Contact" were huge attendances. Some of those numbers were diehard fans going back again and again and again. I'm a diehard fan myself, but I still only saw ST V, "Generations", "Insurrection" and "Nemesis" in cinemas twice each. First time was usually a complementary preview ticket.

Despite the dissing the first film got, friends of mine who were really keen "Transformers" fans as kids loved (at least) the first film. And lots of them took their kids.

I do recall a similar phenomenon with ST:TMP. Grown fans taking their young families, but it wasn't quite the movie kids (and young JJ Abrams) wanted to see after "Star Wars".

16. Admiral Buzzkill

Yep.

The notion that audience response and therefore word of mouth was in any way lacking flies against all the evidence.

People get into this false reasoning that really breaks down to "if I had liked the movie better, it would have been a bigger hit."

17. Ovation

Ovation Admiral Admiral

Well that's just silly. I liked it quite a bit (my favourite of all Trek films), so clearly it IS a big hit.

(isn't that how the "logic" goes? :lol:)

18. The Transformed Man

The Transformed Man Commander Red Shirt

Oh it will get to $225 domestically. It hasn't even moved to the dollar theaters. Probably another 3 million or so there.

Yancy

19. M'Sharak

M'Sharak Definitely Herbert. Maybe. Moderator

Sounds legit. [​IMG]

20. Devon

Devon Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

No.