Starship Simulator

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by The Lensman, Mar 30, 2024.

1. The Lensman

The Lensman Commodore Commodore

Anyone seen this? There's a demo available on Steam and it's still a massive WIP with a Kickstarter campaign going on. IIRC, the guy behind this may have been behind the Stage 9 TNG recreation and this is essentially "Star Trek" with the serial numbers filed off. What they're going for and what's in the limited demo are pretty impressive and beautiful. So they're building an actual virtual starship (lol). What that means is that they've built the ships structure and put pipes behind the walls that actually serve a purpose and can affect the running of the ship. So engineering panels can literally shut down power to certain parts of the ship. Every control panel has an actual function and isn't just window dressing. In the the Captain and XO's ready rooms, you can not only lock the door with a password, you can adjust the lighting level and temp as well as polarization of the windows.

The briefing room is straight out of TNG in layout, I do like that some of the usual Trek sliding doors are glass, it's amazing how classy that looks. I've password encoded the doors to the command deck (1701 natch).

You can customize and name your character, rename your ship, registry number and prefix (USS, UESPA, etc) so naturally I made mine the Enterprise. Right now there isn't a whole lot to do, but the end goal is a 1:1 recreation of the galaxy as well as coop. Don't know how large the crews can get, but if they can do full crews, I'm sure it would revolutionize all these ship based RPG's I see in Trek fandom, especially given that one of the multiplayer options is literally "roleplay". Looks like they want to do the full gamut of exploration as well as combat in addition to ship life.You can also play as a passenger, and one vid talked about how cool it would be to just sit in the lounge while the ship is in combat.

It looks like, if it were done, it would be a hit within the Trek community as it's pretty much the game a lot of us have wanted since forever. While they do want to bring combat in at some point, looks like the main focus is exploration. Also looks like VR is a goal, so if this game ever gets that implemented, that would be awesome. I do like how they've "snuck in" certain design elements straight from Trek, like the 10 Forward area has the windows from the conference room in TNG. Or how one of the lower decks (no pun intended lol) had the same kind of curved corridor lights on Voyager.

I just downloaded last night, so I'm still just learning about everything that can be done, I'll post more and look forward to seeing everyone else's thoughts, whether you're playing the demo or not.

Here are a couple of vids, one by the games designer explaining how intricate and realistic the ship construction is, etc. Another by a guy doing a play through, notably cold starting the ship so you can see how much thought went into this. Again, I think this would be a hit with Trek fans and just as they finally made an actual Trek 4x game after (and maybe modeled on) the Stellaris Trek mod, maybe this thing succeeding would result in a similar official Trek version. Fun to think about. Anyway, enjoy!

Last edited: Mar 30, 2024