Star Wars Battlefront

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Mr Light, Apr 18, 2015.

1. Chris3123

Chris3123 Vice Admiral Admiral

You can only play part of the whole game, namely the Missions, offline solo. The other stuff is online multiplayer only.

2. Tulin

Tulin Vice Admiral Admiral

With the most wonderful man in the world!
    Pathetic.

3. Destructor

Destructor Commodore Commodore

Well it's not like you've been sold a false bill of goods. The game is built to be multiplayer, it's been promoted as a multiplayer, no-one should be under any illusions that's it's a singleplayer experience. That'd be like me getting mad at a bicycle for not being a car.

4. Owain Taggart

Owain Taggart Vice Admiral Admiral

Yeah, unfortunately there's not been a singleplayer-only game that has been announced yet. But here's hoping something is being worked on.

5. 137th Gebirg

137th Gebirg Admiral Premium Member

Anyone get the beta yet? Going to download it tonight to see how it works on XB1.

6. Robert Maxwell

Robert Maxwell memelord Premium Member

I've got it preloaded on my desktop, I'll probably give it a spin tonight.

7. BeatleJWOL

BeatleJWOL Commodore Commodore

Word is starting to spread that it's basically just a Call of Duty/Battlefield game with Star Wars elements in it. Nothing but vague comments from people who have indulged in the beta so far though.

8. Amaris

Amaris Guest

I was going to download the beta until I saw the minimum specs and nearly had a heart attack. :lol:

Bare minimum specs:

Intel i3 6300t or Equivalent
    8 GB RAM
    ATi Radeon HD 7850 (2 GB) or Nvidia GeForce 660 (2 GB) Equivalent
    Windows 64 bit

Bare. Minimum.

My computer cried. Then I cried. Then we both cried. :lol:
    I think I'll just dig out my old Battlefront II DVDs and play those. Ouch.

9. Dac

Dac Commodore Commodore

I played about 45 minutes of it earlier.

The Good:

It's freakin' gorgeous. I'm playing on Xbox One, so while there is texture popping when the level loads, give it 5 seconds and in the midst of the action, it looks like you're watching a Star Wars scene. Absolutely jaw dropping.

I also like the way the guns don't have a reload mechanic, but an overheating one. Essentially it's the same thing, but if you're controlled with your fire you can essentially not run out of ammo. Of course though, when you're face to face with an enemy you basically have to spam them with laser fire in order to win.

This brings me to...

The Bad:

The entire game is running around a corner and hitting fire a nanosecond before the enemy does - if there's 2 guys, you're fucked. There is no equalizer. Everyone has the same guns (The Rebels have slightly better guns imo, same damage and range, but with a greater rate of fire - I did better as a Rebel in one on one than I did as a Stormtrooper) and the same perks, at least in the lower levels. This left the game feeling significantly one note. I've been playing Destiny for some time and while I suck at it's competitive multiplayer (crucible) it doesn't feel one note. Unbalanced at times, yes, but I can get an edge if I do X or Y or go a different route or jump up or use a different gun. Now, I get Destiny is a different game, but after going from that to this, Battlefront feels restrictive and conservative.

I managed to get "Hero" powerups (play as Luke or Vader) a few times, and this affords you the ability to kill a few enemies with ease, but my issue is that on a map like Hoth, you spawn at your base and you have to walk across the entire huge map to find enemies - all the while your health is decreasing because that's how they decided to time the Hero. I never got the chance to fly or pilot a vehicle. That really bummed me out - I saw the powerups like twice whilst playing, but one time I got shot as I picked it up, and the second I had to use my existing power up to get it, and in the time it took me to use it someone else had grabbed it. If there's anything that bugs me, is that THAT experience is down to luck of finding it randomly on the map.

So yeah, at the moment, having played 3 maps and 3 game types (Escape Pod capture, Walker Assault and Firefight/Horde mode) its awfully samey. That being said, theres easily 4x as many game modes that are greyed out that you can't play, so I'm only judging the game on a fraction of the content, but what is there as a taster is very samey and twitchy and quite frankly basic. Maybe i'm spoilt by Destiny and Halo and CoD, but compared to my memories of Battlefront 2, this feels like one step forward two steps back. I know I'm not really vocalising it very well, but while I was playing it I was just kinda unenthused by the whole thing, which is disappointing because I was chomping at the bit to download it earlier.

10. 137th Gebirg

Agree with the good part so far, but have only been able to do single player. Servers are overloaded and can't get into multiplayer right now. Bummer. :(

11. Hartzilla2007

Hartzilla2007 Vice Admiral Admiral

Well I got to fly a Tie fighter on Hoth, but wasn't very good at it.

Also I like how the Rebel starter riffle on multiplayer sounds like the plasma rifles from The Terminator.

12. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

Pretty. But that is about it. Glad I got to play the Beta before flushing $60!

13. 137th Gebirg

Yeah - I think I'll be holding off on this one too until it's gone into full-use after a while. Maybe next year. Beta's only do so much in the way of testing. The real debugging will happen after 1.0 is released next month.

14. Dac

Dac Commodore Commodore

Oh, I also forgot to add that the voice acting for the heroes is god awful. I heard better Luke's and Vader's in the 90s, and what's amazing is that they only have like one line of dialogue as you spawn in, and it's bad.

15. Robert Maxwell

Robert Maxwell memelord Premium Member

Tried it this morning.
    It's pretty, but the gameplay...
    It's just not my thing.

16. Dac

Dac Commodore Commodore

Welp, I finally got in the cockpit of some vehicles.

I will not be buying this game.

Who the FUCK felt controlling a fighter solely with the RIGHT STICK was a good idea?!

17. Reverend

Reverend Admiral Admiral

Downloading the beta now. Not expecting much since all the reactions so far confirmed what I thought this game would be like since they first announced it, but I just want to see how pretty it is. Plus, this is probably the first new OT era Star Wars game I've played since X-Wing Alliance.

18. Chris3123

Chris3123 Vice Admiral Admiral

Only played the single player survival so far, and it's ok. I probably won't get the game, at least not right away, going from what I've heard from others about the MP stuff.

At least we're getting some entertaining videos out of it...

[yt]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CnqtUAg4hkw[/yt]

19. FADM Tribble

FADM Tribble Ensign Red Shirt

As a long time fan of the Battlefront series I am so very disappointed in this game. Besides the graphics and sound design, every feels shallow and unimaginative. This new game is a huge step down from Battlefront II which released ten years ago. Battlefront (2015) feels like another lazy cash grab from EA/DICE.

20. Jax

Jax Admiral Admiral

Not a well designed demo (beta implies they will change stuff, they won't). Graphically its stunning and it does sound like a Star Wars game...That's the good (flying is alright)

Assault Walker mode is a horrible unbalanced affair and like Rush mode in BF3 & 4 I have ZERO FUCKING interest in playing it. Large scale conquest/domination is not in the beta despite being the mode that kick started the whole Battlefield series to which Battlefront is based on. Aiming is clunky (cue movie jokes) and people either soak up bullets or somehow 1 shot you from nowhere, the lack of bullet drop because of lasers is an issue to balance/camping. Hoth is a big map of nothing and the respawns are horrible.

Maybe I am just too old, cynical and don't play enough FPS like I used too but I have never and will never support the unlock system all games must have it creates a class system in video games that harms people who play later than others or casual players who have other things to do than play FPS all day long.